Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bad First Experience With Buttery Wax

GolfGuitarsCars

Question

Used Buttery Wax on my Charger today.  Car only has 1,800 miles on it and is garage kept.  Water was still beading from the factory sealant.  I applied with Adams microfiber application pad and it would not spread evenly so I had I had an extremely difficult time getting it off with Adams double soft microfiber towel.  I had to go back over every panel with detail spray to get residue from the Buttery Wax off.  When I thought I was done I noticed there were still small areas of residue all over the car that required a lot of elbow grease to get off.  I'm sure there's still some there that I haven't found yet.  Buttery Wax is a highly rating product on the Adams website and I've been very pleased with the other Adams products I have used.  So my question for you guys is what do think went wrong?

13 answers to this question

Same thing happened to me. I don’t use the buttery wax anymore. I bought some Americana wax. Goes on and off with no effort. Picked up some ceramic paste wax and had a little harder time getting it off. Next to try is the patriot wax. But definitely look into the Americana wax. So far it’s my favorite. 

I use the buttery wax on a regular basis and have never had that issue. I would wonder if there was a potential reaction with what was previously on the car. You stated that the car was still beading from the factory sealant, what did you have applied at the dealership? The factory themselves do not apply paint sealants to the cars typically. Did you wash the car at all prior to using the product? 

Also, if you have an issue with a product your BEST BET is to call or email Adams HQ for some assistance and quick resolutions. Their customer service is second to none and they will resolve this for you.

29 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

I use the buttery wax on a regular basis and have never had that issue. I would wonder if there was a potential reaction with what was previously on the car. You stated that the car was still beading from the factory sealant, what did you have applied at the dealership? The factory themselves do not apply paint sealants to the cars typically. Did you wash the car at all prior to using the product? 

Also, if you have an issue with a product your BEST BET is to call or email Adams HQ for some assistance and quick resolutions. Their customer service is second to none and they will resolve this for you.

The dealer didn't do anything to the paint so whatever is on it was done at the factory.  Yes, of course I washed it.

My 2 cents thrown in.  I agree with @pirahnah3. Sounds to me like there was a reaction between the dealer-applied sealant and the BW at the chemical make-up level.  The buttery wax is a carnauba blend with polymers and the dealer sealant may be SI02 based or some other chemical blend that doesn't play well with either the carnauba or the polymers.   

1 minute ago, ZMAN024 said:

My 2 cents thrown in.  I agree with @pirahnah3. Sounds to me like there was a reaction between the dealer-applied sealant and the BW at the chemical make-up level.  The buttery wax is a carnauba blend with polymers and the dealer sealant may be SI02 based or some other chemical blend that doesn't play well with either the carnauba or the polymers.   

The dealer didn't apply anything so whatever was on it, was done at the factory.

It’s probably not the product but the way you applied it. I can apply by hand and it’s a pain. Apply by machine and it’s effortless. It just doesn’t spread good by hand IMO. That’s why when I use wax I use Americana or a liquid paste wax from another company.

Edited by Ls1transam

I have used buttery wax on 2 black cars so far. On my aunt's Miata, it was easy on, easy off. The shine was way more than I expected from a liquid wax. I applied it to my Forte after polishing. It went on great. I did have some trouble removing it though. I was in my garage with a single light bulb so I missed some spots. When I pulled it outside the next day, I used some detail spray and went over it to get the residue off. I think it's great despite taking some work sometimes. I'd like to get some paste wax for longevity but I do like BW

On 8/17/2018 at 8:11 AM, GolfGuitarsCars said:

The dealer didn't do anything to the paint so whatever is on it was done at the factory.  Yes, of course I washed it.

This could be the issue, I understand washing it, but there could be a whole lot of bad stuff on there from the road, OR the Buttery could be reacting with whatever product the dealer prepped the car with that did not come off in a simple wash. It is up to you at this point if you want to put the efforts in to find the cause of the issue but it seems to me that there is something reacting with the product. I am by no means an Adams expert but for the ease of use buttery is a favorite of mine. 

Let us know how the conversation went when you speak with them. If you look around here you will see that their customer service staff is very helpful and goes out of their way to help customers. 

As to the issues by hand, It makes me wonder if you are using too much product on the applicator. Personally I have not had any trouble by hand and I do not use a machine for it, just the yellow hex grip.