Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washer Fluid

MikeSoFlo

Question

Adam mentions in his Glass Cleaner video that the alcohol and ammonia in washer fluid will greatly decrease the life of a product like Glass Sealant.  

So then what to use as washer fluid? Has anyone tried a dilution of Adam's Glass Cleaner and turned that into washer fluid? If not, I'd be willing to try it but not sure what the dilution ratio should be, any suggestions?

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, MikeSoFlo said:

Adam mentions in his Glass Cleaner video that the alcohol and ammonia in washer fluid will greatly decrease the life of a product like Glass Sealant.  

So then what to use as washer fluid? Has anyone tried a dilution of Adam's Glass Cleaner and turned that into washer fluid? If not, I'd be willing to try it but not sure what the dilution ratio should be, any suggestions?

Us folks up north of the 49th can't really think of doing that.. aka.. the tundra up here gets pretty cold and freeze comes to mind...

I personally try to make sure to put a fresh coat on before the temps stay consistently below freezing, then on a "warm" day, maybe re-apply a cheap competitors product to get thru the winter.  Come spring, total decontaminate the windshield and get the good stuff back on.

It's been discussed elsewhere on here, but bottom line, I would not recommend diluting the GC. The GS should last a full tank of washer fluid, or ~200 mi of rain driving. I recommend you stick with your normal regimen of sealant and boost, if available.

Adam's has alluded to a washer fluid/concentrate being released, but nothing announced to date.

Look at Gyeon's glass coat or similar.  They'll shrug off alcohol and will last 1-2 years at least.  

I love Adam's Glass Sealant and Boost.  I avoid using washer fluid but very rarely do I need to use it anyways.  If you do need to use it, it will be fine.  I never saw Glass Sealant/Boost's performance decline from the washer fluid, now the friction, I have seen it slow down after driving across the country for 4+ hours in the rain. 

On 8/31/2018 at 2:56 PM, MikeSoFlo said:

I have wondered this exact same thing! If we can make washer fluid with GC. One thing I can say for sure, if your running sealant and using boost in addition, the windshield cleans very easily with just water in the washer tank so having a washer fluid isnt really needed. Just some good ol water, then you dont have to worry about decreasing the life of the sealant 

1 hour ago, M3Eric said:

I have wondered this exact same thing! If we can make washer fluid with GC. One thing I can say for sure, if your running sealant and using boost in addition, the windshield cleans very easily with just water in the washer tank so having a washer fluid isnt really needed. Just some good ol water, then you dont have to worry about decreasing the life of the sealant 

Using water does work great for you folks in Florida, but I know in the Northeast that would create a problem for at least 3 months a year :)

I use a RW (non-Adams) concentrate diluted 1/4 oz to a gallon of water and it works great, I also add a polymer spray sealant concentrate at the same dilution to add some protection to the glass. 

I would try with the Adams since I have a gallon of it that I rarely use but I have left it in a sealed bucket for a couple days and it smells horrible when I take the lid off the bucket. Mind you this is clean RW solution as I use the multiple towel (Garry Dean) wash method and put the lid on right after I am done washing.

Edited by jakerodz7

22 hours ago, repoman82 said:

Using water does work great for you folks in Florida, but I know in the Northeast that would create a problem for at least 3 months a year :)

Oh yeah, didnt think of that....lol. So everyone else doesnt have 80++ degree weather year round? This is news to me...:confused:

Edited by M3Eric