Customer Service 866.965.0400

Junkman Plays Cornerback on a Scratch Going Deep!

Junkman2008

Question

Gather around boys and girls, Adams Polishes and The Junkman combine for another paint job save! Digital Corvettes forum member Dave (D Baize, who should be signing up here soon also! :thumbsup:) dropped me a PM about a scratch he picked up. He told me that he tried to fix it but nothing worked. He then wondered out loud if Adam's had anything that would work. So I told him to bring his Vette over and let's find out! :D

Once Dave arrived and I got a look at the damage, I realized that the scratch was like a well: Deeeeeep! Dave didn't realize how bad it was. Once I explained to him the options (either have the entire rear fascia painted or let me and Adam's Polishes take a crack at it), he stated that he wanted to give Adam's a try. He said that he had seen a thread I did for a lady with a nasty scratch on her front fascia and if her's could be fixed, anything was possible. So out came my Adam's supplies and at it I went.

Here was what we were looking at. This was the long shot. I wanted to see if I could notice them without getting close. Dave and I didn't see the second scratch until I washed the rear fascia off.

davecar1.jpg

Now for a Corvette owner, these scratches may as well have been graffiti spray painted on the car. They were really noticeable. I then got in close and realized why Dave said those those scratches were back there just screaming at him as he drove down the road. I'm sure there are other members here who can relate to this, especially when you're talking about your baby. It's like having lettuce stuck between you teeth on a blind date.

davecar2.jpg

davecar4.jpg

As you can see, these were some serious scratches and the one between the tail lights has went through the clear coat and down to the paint. This was going to take some serious magic. I washed the rear fascia just to see if any of the damage would disappear. Ha! Fat chance. So out came the Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover (SHR) and a wet Adam's Dual-Action Swirl Killer Pad (by wet, I mean that I had dampened the pad with a couple of squirt of Adam's Detail Spray).

davecar5.jpg

davecar6.jpg

I went at both scratches twice and this is what they looked like after I was done.

davecar7.jpg

davecar8.jpg

Now the scratch on the outside of the rear fascia was going to be a little work but I could see that the SHR was going to eventually remove it. However, the one between the tail lights was going to take something stronger than a polish. This scratch was going to require some wet sanding.

The Junkman's Disclaimer: Now let me stress the importance of this being something that you never try at home unless you have been professionally trained on how to do this. You can quickly cut through the clear coat on your car and be into the paint with a few strokes of the wrong sandpaper. I only show this for documenting purposes only, not as an endorsement for you to try!

Realizing what needed to be done, I broke out my wet sanding supplies. Some 3000 grit sandpaper, a sanding block and a clean bucket of water. I let the sand paper soak for 25 minutes before I stated using it. I taught myself how to do this and thus, I don't know why that is a requirement. I just know that is the correct procedure. :confused:

davecar9.jpg

After the sandpaper was ready, I went at it. Dave had chewed his fingers down to the nubs by the first minute. lol.gif

davecar10.jpg

After knocking the areas even, I took these photos. The white that you see that really enhances the scratches is some of the clear coat that I have removed from the car. I constantly checked my bucket of water and the sand paper to ensure that they never turned red in color. If so, that would have meant that I had went through the clear coat and into the paint. That would NOT have been a good thing.

davecar11.jpg

davecar12.jpg

Next, I went back at the scratches with a wet orange pad and the SHR. After 2 passes with that combo, the scratch on the outside of the rear fascia was pretty much history. One thing to note between the picture above and the picture below. You can see how much damage the sand paper has done in the picture above because there is no shine in the area where the scratch was. Now look at the picture below. SHR has brought that reflectivity back to showroom quality.

davecar13.jpg

The one between the tail lights was still there, but was a whole lot less noticeable. This would have required repainting the bumper to fix it 100% but as any paint shop will tell you, matching the color red is usually a nightmare. In the business, we like to call this "a great save".

davecar14.jpg

Now I'm ready to put some wax on the rear fascia and see the final results. Out came the Adam's Machine SuperWax.

davecar15.jpg

After applying and allowing it to haze, I wiped it off and saw the final results. :drool:

davecar16.jpg

davecar17.jpg

Here's a wide shot of the rear fascia.

davecar18.jpg

...and now for the money shot!

davecar19.jpg

Needless to say, Dave and I where very happy with the results. Dave was so happy that we decided to go out and celebrate on his dime at BW3's. Sorry, I forgot the before shot. Once that chicken arrived, things were kind of a blur for a while! lol.gif

davecar20.jpg

We took time out after lunch for a quick photo op. Dave is now one happy camper and I suspect that he will be ordering some Adam's supplies shortly. I also suspect he will be signing up at Adam's Forums as a new member too.

davecar21.jpg

davecar22.jpg

That's all folks!

The Junkman :thumbsup:

Edited by Junkman2008

Dang dude...

First of all, great job... But secondly, your write-ups are incredible. So much detail, I think you could write a "Dummies guide to Adam's Polishes" that would benefit the rest of us!

But I can tell that you enjoy polishing, you did a really good job on them chicken bones too!!!:lolsmack:

That was freaking amazing! I thought for sure that was too deep to save. Way to pull it out AJ!

Looked like a school of piranha got a hold of those chicken bones. icon_lol.gif

:lol:

I'm still pickin' chicken out of my teeth!

...But I can tell that you enjoy polishing, you did a really good job on them chicken bones too!!!:lolsmack:

I tell people to keep their hand away from the bear during feeding! lol.gif

...Now get your Cabana boy outfit on and come detail my car. :lolsmack:

I'm going to tell your HUSBAND! :lolsmack:

Thanks guys and gal (Teresa!). I wish we were closer. I love tackling jobs like this. I can't wait for the next one! :banana:

Edited by Junkman2008

JUNKMAN is there a book on how to wetsand? although ur instructions sound very accurate..i would never want to try this but my mom messed up her bumper on her m35x and i feel like even messing up a wetsand job will make it look better than it does right now lol

Edited by Rich

JUNKMAN is there a book on how to wetsand? although ur instructions sound very accurate..i would never want to try this but my mom fkd up her bumper on her m35x and i feel like even messing up a wetsand job will make it look better than it does right now lol

Check out this thread. There are links that you need to follow, videos you need to watch and a ton of reading that you need to do. Pack a loooooong lunch. There is a bazooka load of info that you need to understand before you even pick up a piece of sandpaper, not to mention the money you need to spend. It may be best to take it somewhere. That's my honest suggestion.

Edited by Junkman2008

Hello everyone!!! Yes I am the owner that was saved by the Junkman:bow: That damage on the car was bugging me constantly, AJ gave me piece of mind once we were done. I was really impressed with Adam's products. AJ has all the cool tools in his world of fun garage. This guy does do great work and owns the cleanest car in town. Thank-you AJ!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amazing job I started mine today by hand and I did the clay bar came out amazing, then did one coat of Swirl and Haze Remover I'm I supposed to rub it in with circular motions, up and down, and do I work it like or just rub it in like wax? And how would I do the revive polish by hand also, how many coats of each about? And after doing the swirl and haze remover I noticed I have alot of swirls now :help:

Hello everyone!!! Yes I am the owner that was saved by the Junkman:bow: That damage on the car was bugging me constantly, AJ gave me piece of mind once we were done. I was really impressed with Adam's products. AJ has all the cool tools in his world of fun garage. This guy does do great work and owns the cleanest car in town. Thank-you AJ!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There you are Dave, glad you joined! :thumbsup:

Let me know when you're ready to order some stuff, I'll help you on what to get. I'll be PM'ing you some very interesting info so stay tuned!

... Wet sanding is dangerous work, but an effective means to fix some serious damage. Don't try this at home!

:iagree:yesnod.gif

Amazing job I started mine today by hand and I did the clay bar came out amazing, then did one coat of Swirl and Haze Remover I'm I supposed to rub it in with circular motions, up and down, and do I work it like or just rub it in like wax? And how would I do the revive polish by hand also, how many coats of each about? And after doing the swirl and haze remover I noticed I have alot of swirls now :help:

Hey BMX, here's the deal. You first must understand what each product does, and why (if necessary) you need to use that product on your paint. You said that you have finished claying the car and that it came out amazing. Claying removes all the grit and impurities from the paint. It will probably leave the finish looking somewhat dull but smooth as glass when you're finished. That's a sign that you've done it right. There will still be swirls and/or scratches in the finish because claying does not remove those.

The next step is where your arm falls out of its socket. Using either the Swirl and Haze Remover (SHR) or the Fine Machine Polish (FMP, more concentrated and what I suggest you use if doing this by hand), you will begin the swirl and scratch removal process. Rubbing in quick and circular motions, you will work the product in using the Adam's Applicator Pads to work the area that you are repairing. It is very important that you do not use just anything to apply your products during this process or you'll just be introducing more swirls and scratches to your finish. You need to make sure that there is plenty of light on the area that you are working on in order to see what progress is being made.

The goal when using SHR or the FMP is to create a mirror gloss finish on your paint that is swirl or scratch free. If you do this correctly, your paint should go from this:

swirlcity2.jpg

... to this:

swirlcity3.jpg

So when you ask the question, "How many coats of each?" The answer is one that only you can answer because you are the only one staring at your paint. As long as your paint looks like that first picture, you still need to do some rubbing. I can tell you that although this can be done by hand, the process will take you darn near forever if your paint looks like this:

swirlcity4.jpg

swirlcity5.jpg

That whole car looked like that. You couldn't pay me enough money to do a car like that by hand. On the other hand, if the car had already been fixed using a PC-7424 and some scratches started showing up again, I might give it a go.

Until you get rid of all those scratches, you are not ready to apply any wax. It sounds like you need to get yourself a PC. yesnod.gif

Edited by Junkman2008

AJ, PLEASE if you are ever in my neck of the woods, come work on my scratches! I have one bad one on a headlamp cover and a whole bunch of small ones from a piece of carpeting that fell on the car (backing side down of course) and scratched the roof and right door panel. I've tried all I can do by hand, but I need your expert help. I promise to feed you!! :D

Excellent job! :2thumbs:

AJ, PLEASE if you are ever in my neck of the woods, come work on my scratches! I have one bad one on a headlamp cover and a whole bunch of small ones from a piece of carpeting that fell on the car (backing side down of course) and scratched the roof and right door panel. I've tried all I can do by hand, but I need your expert help. I promise to feed you!! :D

Excellent job! :2thumbs:

Pennsylvania? Man, I don't even know where Pennsylvania is! lol.gif

However, if I do come there, my services will be available. I love a challenge. You know you can always come here! :thumbsup:

Pennsylvania? Man, I don't even know where Pennsylvania is! lol.gif

However, if I do come there, my services will be available. I love a challenge. You know you can always come here! :thumbsup:

Yeah, come on down and watch this turn into a very cool party!!!!!:banana::banana:

Last time I took the Vette to Kentucky it paid me back by losing a fuel infector in Maryland! And I almost got killed when a motor home didn't see me in the right lane and ran me off the road. So I'm not real keen on going back to Kentucky any time soon.

:help: