Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Long to Wait??

bret

Question

Hello! I'm new here!  I just bought a brand new 2019 GMC Sierra SLT and only had it for 6 days before a valet parking attendant turned to sharp into a concrete corner.  Caused significant damage and have to get it repaired at body shop.  Once I get it back, how long do I have to wait before I can wash or wax the truck?  They had to repair and re-paint the back quarter panel of driver's side of the truck.  I know that there is some "cure" time with the paint and clear coat.  Really looking forward to using these Adam's products ever since I bought the truck.  I saw Adam's products on the GMC Accessory online store.  Thanks!!

5 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, bret said:

Hello! I'm new here!  I just bought a brand new 2019 GMC Sierra SLT and only had it for 6 days before a valet parking attendant turned to sharp into a concrete corner.  Caused significant damage and have to get it repaired at body shop.  Once I get it back, how long do I have to wait before I can wash or wax the truck?  They had to repair and re-paint the back quarter panel of driver's side of the truck.  I know that there is some "cure" time with the paint and clear coat.  Really looking forward to using these Adam's products ever since I bought the truck.  I saw Adam's products on the GMC Accessory online store.  Thanks!!

Hi Bret, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that about your vehicle. So the best person to ask would be the body shop that did the work. If they bake the panel, then it's likely, it's ready to be protected as soon as you get it. If they didn't bake it, it's likely you'll have to wait 60-90 days to allow it to fully cure before protecting.

6 hours ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

Hi Bret, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that about your vehicle. So the best person to ask would be the body shop that did the work. If they bake the panel, then it's likely, it's ready to be protected as soon as you get it. If they didn't bake it, it's likely you'll have to wait 60-90 days to allow it to fully cure before protecting.

Thank you for the response!  He did say something about waiting a month or so.  I just wanted to make sure.

3 months.

Adam's has recommended 6 months before, if the paint job is done anytime around now, because the weather isn't going to be hot enough to help the curing process along.

As for washing, don't want to touch that paint for a few weeks because the clear coat is soft right now and will swirl very easily. 

Edited by Sandalwood

I wait a full 90 days before any glaze/wax/sealant/coating after paint work. Once I get the car back from the body shop I'll do a full correction on the panel(s) that were painted, including wet sanding if needed; right away, like within days. The cut and buff done by most body shops isn't complete enough to give a good panel match; swirls and holograms, the paint's cured enough to wash, sand, and polish. While you wait the 90 days look over texture of the orange peel to match the neighboring panels and any clear coat shrinkage that may occur. Don't worry about not having protection on those panels for the 90 days, you'll be fine, just keep it clean.

Detail Spray is fine, so is Waterless Wash (not the Ceramic infused one), and Rinseless Wash.

Edited by BRZN