Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cosmoline

flyinon2

Question

I just picked up a new to me BMW 340i M Sport.  I looked under the hood and there is quite a bit of yellowish colored cosmoline remnants, especially along the painted frame rails along side the motor.  The motor appears to have a slight film of it as well because it is attracting dust and dirt.  I assume that APC would be the best thing to use but not sure if it is safe for everything under the hood?  I also have some ECO APC, so not sure if that would be any safer or if it is strong enough to cut the cosmoline?  Have any of you had any experience with this on BMW's or other german cars?  My car is Glacier Silver, so hopefully it wont stain.

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, flyinon2 said:

I just picked up a new to me BMW 340i M Sport.  I looked under the hood and there is quite a bit of yellowish colored cosmoline remnants, especially along the painted frame rails along side the motor.  The motor appears to have a slight film of it as well because it is attracting dust and dirt.  I assume that APC would be the best thing to use but not sure if it is safe for everything under the hood?  I also have some ECO APC, so not sure if that would be any safer or if it is strong enough to cut the cosmoline?  Have any of you had any experience with this on BMW's or other german cars?  My car is Glacier Silver, so hopefully it wont stain.

Hi Rick,

Having a picture would help us get a better idea of what you are dealing with.  I have experience with BMW, Audi and Range Rover, not that it really seems like any two detailing jobs are the same.  When I use regular APC on the engine bay, I will usually dilute it by 75% for the first run and use a semi-soft bristle brush or very old microfiber towels.  As with any chemical you are introducing to an unknown vehicle or compound, start with a small test section that is out of site as much as possible.  If that cleans up and does no harm, then go on another test section, if everything is good, hit the rest of it.

Ray's advice is solid.

FWIW, however, I've detailed all the BMWs we've owned over the past 15yrs, including our current 2018 340ix M Sport, and have never had any problem using Adam's products (including undiluted APC) under the hood. It goes without saying you should only detail when the car (and engine) are cool, not in direct sunlight, and don't let the chemicals dry in place, as staining may result.

Thanks for the replies.  Here is what it looked like before I started.  I ended up using some Eco APC and a soft brush.  It worked well and the engine compartment now looks like new.  The comsmoline was thick in some places but it did come off fairly easily.  It was a lot like candle wax in the areas where it was thickest.   I forgot to take a picture after I was finished but it was starting to get dark.

b2VftGOFTeKP2xVl0R2w2w.jpg