Customer Service 866.965.0400

What is the Best Method to Remove Ceramic Spray Coating

TR6speed

Question

I coated both my seldom driven 2007 Corvette and the much used wife's 2018 Equinox.  I noted a stain on the hood today and it seems it is etched in to the coating.  I want to strip the coating off and start from a freshly prepared paint surface.  The coating has been on about 3-4 month and I have taken care of it whit the ceramic products for washing and the in between quick waterless washes.  

So what do I need to do?

3 answers to this question

Yep, what Chris said ^^^

Wash the area or panel first to ensure it is free of all dust or dirt. Use a soap with no shine or protective additives - blue Car Shampoo or Mega Foam would be my recommendations.

Is the stain on the Corvette or the Equinox? At 3-4 months of application, it may still be very durable on the Corvette since you seldom drive it, but it is most likely wearing away some on the Equinox since it is driven more often. Polishing through the coating may not be too difficult on either. If you have our old Orange Foam Pad and orange Correcting Polish or the even older Swirl & Haze Remover, that combo would remove it. The white finishing Polish and White Foam Pad may not be aggressive enough. The new blue Compound and a Blue Foam Pad would certainly remove it, and if you're trying to remove a stain underneath, that is probably what I would start with, then move down to the White Foam Pad and Polish. Wipe away the area, Surface Prep, inspect, and make sure it's where you want it to be at before reapplying the coating.

Once you polish the area, if you can snap some pictures of the stain and post them here, we can better assess how to tackle it 👍

@TR6speed Hey Jack, not to be mean, but this is why I have stayed with Paint Sealant + H2O Guard & Gloss on my cars.  PS goes on easy, and I can quickly add protection with G&G as part of a Rinseless wash.   I think it has been over a year since I put the PS down on the Accord, but the G&G keeps it protected until I reapply the PS once our heat is gone.

I did put a coating on my son's car when he was away at school, and I only saw the car a few times a year.  A strip wash when he was home got it looking great again.