Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic/Graphene?

FISHERWERKE

Question

Hello all, Novice detailer here. I haven't detailed cars much in recent years so I have not played around with ceramics. I just picked up a 2022 VW Tiguan SE R-Line Black that I would like to get protected for winter. Last time we opted for a "ceramic" coating from the dealer but I was less than impressed with it. So if I bought the graphene kit would this be suitable for winter protection? Do I need to do anything before applying? Can this be applied to the brake calipers to protect them as well? Thank you! 

unnamed.jpg

4 answers to this question

Nice.....did you get the Graphene Spray Coating or Graphene Coating?

Either way you want to  Wash, Clay, do paint correction to remove any scratches or swirls. Then do a Prep wipe down to remove any polishes etc. on your paint before applying the coating.  If you have anymore question we are here to help.

Prep is everything with a coating. Not taking the time to do it right will diminish your results including finished look, longevity, etc. Luckily, Adam's has a few videos on the process to prep and apply it so it depends on which one you plan to use. Since you haven't done them before, I would strongly recommend the Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating and kit. It's much easier to work with overall and will provide extended protection with relative ease. 

P.S. I'm not sure what you got at the dealer, but I know the word "ceramic" has been diluted in the industry. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't really a ceramic coating as much as a silica-infused topper. Could be wrong, but wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Like others have said, prep is the key.  Wash, clay, machine polish if needed (hand polishing is fine if you don't have a machine), compound is not necessary unless your paint is in really bad shape, then wipe down with the prep and apply the Graphene. Since you already have ceramic on it, and you're a novice, you might want to try the Graphene Spray Coating instead of the full graphene.  I've been using the GSC for several years now and I live in PA where we get crappy winters, lots of salt on the roads, and a lot of slush and slop.  The coating usually holds up through the fall and winter into late spring for me.  Your choice for which one you use, but the prep is the same for both.