Customer Service 866.965.0400

32 Buick detailing

Tricksey

Question

I know the paint is lacquer I am trying to determine what is the best method to get some shine to her paint, there is cracking on both fenders at the end of the side running boards I want to maintain as much of the original condition as I can, the interior is the original upholstery I believe she really is in great overall condition, runs great with a straight 8 cruise control, ride regulator (suspension adjustment) and an automatic clutch! Any thoughts, ideas of what to use and what NOT to do would be greatly appreciated!!

32 BUICK 57S TK.jpg

5 answers to this question

What a beauty!

Try some Meguiar's #7 Show Car glaze first to add back some oils to the paint.  And do a search for 'secret to restoring antique paint mike phillips' and you will find a very informative (but lengthy) article on working with antique single stage paint. 

I have been fortunate to work on several pre-war/brass cars (1914 Renault, 1918 White truck, 1925 Rolls, and few more) and you feel more like a caretaker than a cleaner.  The best advice is to 'use the least aggressive method possible'.  I only wash these cars with Rinseless Wash, no hoses at all, and even rinse the wheels & tires with a pump-up sprayer.  I would be very careful machine polishing something like this, but the article mentioned above will discuss that.

Edited by mc2hill

The car looks great. 

There are products that can be used to preserve the patina.  My personal preference is from Eastwood and it is a two step method that is a Prep and then the preserver is applied.  As with anything with vintage paint, you need to find a test spot that is out of site to do first.  It is on sale right now for $10 a can and each can will do 12-16 square feet.  The regular price is $21 a can and that is just for the preserver.  

Once the preserver has been applied, if you let it cure for a day or two you can apply wax over it or you can just leave it as is.  I have used both American and the original Ceramic Paste Wax and both worked well as a topper.  The end result was enough shine to make it look really clean, but it retained the original matte look of the era.

Thank you everyone I really appreciate it, I will NOT be using a machine to polish or do any correction. I do have a friend that worked for GM and he has the old magnetic tester for the depth of the paint. I was really excited to find out he had this he mailed it to me and I should have it in a few days, that should tell me what I have to work with!  I love the patina look of the paint and really don't want to lose that, this was my Dad's car that I inherited, she had been stored for about 12 years and sadly just sat, she runs great!! Starts right up and lol 1st and 2nd gear is short lived she seems to love 3rd and cruising at about 40-45, I have no intention of showing her although quite a few have told me I should as most people in my area haven't seen one of these. She is super fun to drive. I will definitely post some more pics of her overall appearance!

Thank you again!!

15 hours ago, RayS said:

The car looks great. 

There are products that can be used to preserve the patina.  My personal preference is from Eastwood and it is a two step method that is a Prep and then the preserver is applied.  As with anything with vintage paint, you need to find a test spot that is out of site to do first.  It is on sale right now for $10 a can and each can will do 12-16 square feet.  The regular price is $21 a can and that is just for the preserver.  

Once the preserver has been applied, if you let it cure for a day or two you can apply wax over it or you can just leave it as is.  I have used both American and the original Ceramic Paste Wax and both worked well as a topper.  The end result was enough shine to make it look really clean, but it retained the original matte look of the era.

Well it appears that can't ship to California!!!