Customer Service 866.965.0400

not happy with Adam's Leather and Interior Cleaner

Holty

Question

I was doing a pretty good cleaning on my wife's 05 Acura TL over the weekend. I figured it would be the perfect time to try out my new bottle of Adam's Leather and Interior Cleaner.

I was pretty dissapointed in the results i must say. The product seemed to clean the seats pretty well, but it left blotches and spots all over the doors, dash, and interior trim pieces. I started out applying very little to see what the results would be. At first, it looked great, but after it dried for about 30mins or so, it left white spots everywhere. I know i didn't over apply the product as it was my first time using it and i made sure to use it sparingly.

What could i have done wrong here? I was so mad i almost threw it away. I had to use soap and water to get the white blotches/spots out and start over using my other interior cleaner.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is the product just not compatible with certain materials used in Acura or Honda dashboards?

14 answers to this question

I will let the Adams crew answer, but I bet that whatever you were using on the seats before did not work well with the Adams cleaner. What did you clean the seats with before applying the Adams cleaner?

I usually use an all purpose cleaner to strip the plastic or leather of other cleaners before I use a new product. (like using Dawn liquid detergent on the exterior paint to strip the old wax before appling something new.)

sorry, don't have any pictures of it, the thought of taking pictures never crossed my mind as i just was worried it was going to stain and i hurried to get it off asap.

here is what has been used on it since new:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G13616

Thats potentially the problem right there... that megs stuff does work pretty good but leaves a lot of residue behind. If thats all you use its not a problem, but I had a similar experience on a customers car once. He was an avid Megs user and when I hit the interior with the Adams cleaner I got blotchy spots, hazing, and all sorts of weird issues. Ended up mixing some woolite and water in a sprayer and cleaning the whole interior with that the followed up again w/ the megs b/c I knew thats what hed be using down the line. I've also had similar effects using adams on cars treated religiously w/ Black Magics interior protectant... I'm pretty sure its the silicone content.

Guess certain products just don't like eachother for one reason or another.

I never had a problem with Adams leather and interior. I acually use it on our leather furniture in the house. I will say I did have issues with Macquire's products in the past, but not their leather cleaner. Give Jason, Ashley or Adam a call, they will help.

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for letting us know about your problem. I am glad you were able to get the spots out with soap and water. I am curious to know what caused them myself. I have an 02 Acura RL and I have never had an issue with the leather and interior cleaner. So it was just the doors, dash, and trim but not the seats. Did you use an applicator or spray directly on the leather? Was the surface hot when you applied it?

Steve

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for letting us know about your problem. I am glad you were able to get the spots out with soap and water. I am curious to know what caused them myself. I have an 02 Acura RL and I have never had an issue with the leather and interior cleaner. So it was just the doors, dash, and trim but not the seats. Did you use an applicator or spray directly on the leather? Was the surface hot when you applied it?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes you are correct, it was not the actual leather parts of the interior, it was everything else (dash, doors, trim, etc). I spray it onto a micro fiber towel, then apply.

I agree that the most likely cause would be an interaction with the Meguiars. But once you got the spots out, did you follow up with the Leather Conditioner? The cleaner is just that...........a cleaner. You should follow up with the conditioner to keep your leather in top condition. I use it on my dash, etc. in my interior. It keeps it all looking like new.

Josh,

Thanks again man. I hope these suggestions are helping. These guys and girls know what they are talking about. You are applying it correctly. Was there possibly some dressing from before that may have left some tough residue? Don't give up on it. It really is good. Next time clean thouroughly again and follow up with some leather conditioner (its good for vinyl too). Please send me a private message with your address and I will send you some conditioner and a applicator as a thank you.

Steve

I too have seen the blotchy marks. I found it was the Armor-all I had used before. I cleaned the whole office chair with APC and then re-applied the Adams. Problem solved...

I am going to try this!

I had this same problem while I was detailing the El Camino yesterday... The surface was very clean, and no color came off of the dash but it turned the red dash white :willy:

I had previously used only armor all on it. I thought I had done something wrong because it was my first time using the Leather Cleaner as well!

I will be trying it on my truck Friday, hopefully I can get it right this time :xfingers:

I noticed it to be blotchy when I tested it on my friend's Civic's dark interior. I just figured his car already had some issues. Because when I used it on my Mustang I didn't notice any blotching but I have a light tan interior. Previously I've been using Armor all cleaning wipes. I'll check it tomorrow for any spots.