Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint flaking!

chops1sc

Hi Chris,

Ouch is the most diplomatic word that I can give. 

If you feel around the areas where it is flaking, you may be able to find some other places that basically feel like there is a bubble under it and these are spots where it is going to flake.   This happens for a few reasons that I know of and I'm pretty confident there are more reasons.

Moisture when the vehicle was painted

Surface had a contaminate on it prior to painting

Damage that caused a crack in the paint to allow air or water to get under it.

Those spots are pretty big so it is going to take more than a chip repair kit to fix them.  

I'd recommend looking for any additional spots that are going to flake or just don't look or feel right.  If it is all over the roof or hood, then you are probably better off with a paint shop to strip, prime and repaint the entire panel.  If it is isolated, then you can still go the paint shop route by having them take your vehicle and paint code and putting you on a call list when they are painting the same color.  You may not get much notice to drop the vehicle off, but it can save you considerable money by not having to purchase a pint of paint when you only need a thimble full. 

I don't do any painting myself anymore, but I know a few people that do in the Columbia, Lexington area, unfortunately I don't know anyone in the Sumter area.

Thanks, Ray! I know a couple people that I might would let near the truck, LOL! I will definitely get a closer look at it hopefully today. I have already bought some primer and color matched paint. I'm not afraid to try it myself but if it does turn out to be  a lot worse I will likely get a quote to fix it at least. 

• 1 month later...

My parents had a 88 Suburban that had paint issues that started out like that, I used a razor blade to peel all the loose paint around the area and used touch up paint to fill in the damaged areas.  Chevy finally offered a free repaint, and the only spots that looked good were the ones with 5he touch up paint!  

• 4 months later...