Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel Cleaner Mistake!! Help

coolbreeze12

Question

I recently purchased a new vehicle with matte black wheels.  I went to wash it, but before I made the two block trip to the car wash, I put some ArmorAll Wheel Cleaner on the wheels and left it on there hoping it would have time to work on the way.  I DEFINITELY DIDN'T READ THE DIRECTIONS!  I got out of the car wash expecting them to look great and got out of my truck to see the damage (photo 1).  I have tried everything to get rid of the white splotches to no avail (dawn, purple power, wheel cleaner again used the right way).  The second photo is what they look like now, a little better, but not much.  The third picture is the wheels when I put tire shine on them.  They look great (albeit shiny), but when I wash the truck again, they go back to looking like the second picture.  Please tell me there is something I can do to bring them back to what they should look like!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9 answers to this question

I think you will need to 'break thru' the gunk on the surface with something stronger than a cleaner.   What polishes do you have on hand? 

Most any polish applied by hand should be mild enough that you don't damage the wheel coating, but can remove the Cleaner residue.  If you want something from Adams try the Revive Hand Polish .  It is a chemical polish vs. an abrasive polish, and I have used to remove all kinds things - marks from clay mitts & pads, parking lots 'rubs' etc.   If that does not work or takes more then 2 applications to remove, then move up to a mild abrasive polish like Adam's Polish or One Step Polish, or Rupes DA Fine Compound (my favorite polish, especially with a yellow wool pad).  You may even need a small polisher to do this work, but definitely try chemical and abrasive polishes by hand first.

If you are looking for something you can get locally I would start with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, then move up to one of their Ultimate polishes by hand.

Thank you for the reply.  I had no clue that wheel cleaner was that strong.  I thought it was just a normal soapy thing when I grabbed it out of my garage.  I must have got it and never used it before.  I am worried that I ruined them. They do not feel pitted.  When they are wet, they look fine. When they dry is when it looks like crap. 

I zoomed in on the second picture and it appears that the chemical imbalance is even in by the lugs.  This is probably a good thing since it will give you a test location without being noticeable if it doesn't work very well.   Take a wheel off the vehicle after you put a jack stand under it and then do your testing where the lugs go.  You'll be able to judge the effect of the chemical cleaning or polishing and it will be inconspicuous if it still leaves a mark.

On each of the holes, try a different cleaning product on each lug hole writing down which method you are trying and marking the wheels with painters tape.  Good Q-Tips work well for getting in the wheel's around the lug nuts.

Brilliant glaze will often take off some chemical compounds

Revive Hand Polish is one of my favorites and the best thing there is for Tail and Marker lights.  It also works exceptionally well when you mess up baked on paints.  It will make them shine a little bit, but not nearly as much as the other polishes.

Eco Wheel Cleaner generally works well on Matte Wheels, don't let it sit on the wheel very long.

Using One-Step-Polish by hand can clean off many items without adding much shine, although it will be more than Hand Polish.  If you do use a machine keep the speed down to lower the amount of shine you'll get.

I have not tried the Adam's Polish on Matte Wheels, but knowing Michael's work, I'd trust his recommendation on that one. 

This links has the results of my major screw up on my running boards with Wheel Cleaner and the correction that Revive Hand Polish made.

Edited by RayS

On 9/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, mc2hill said:

I think you will need to 'break thru' the gunk on the surface with something stronger than a cleaner.   What polishes do you have on hand? 

Most any polish applied by hand should be mild enough that you don't damage the wheel coating, but can remove the Cleaner residue.  If you want something from Adams try the Revive Hand Polish .  It is a chemical polish vs. an abrasive polish, and I have used to remove all kinds things - marks from clay mitts & pads, parking lots 'rubs' etc.   If that does not work or takes more then 2 applications to remove, then move up to a mild abrasive polish like Adam's Polish or One Step Polish, or Rupes DA Fine Compound (my favorite polish, especially with a yellow wool pad).  You may even need a small polisher to do this work, but definitely try chemical and abrasive polishes by hand first.

If you are looking for something you can get locally I would start with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, then move up to one of their Ultimate polishes by hand.

I just ordered the Revive Hand Polish.  Question:  Do you think this will permanently get rid of the residue, or will I have to reapply consistently?

For my running boards, the majority was gone after the first application and then I had some places that were either worse than others or I didn't get completely removed on the first attempt.  On the second pass, I only did the areas that need attention, which was not many and I have not had to redo them since.

On 9/30/2023 at 3:22 PM, coolbreeze12 said:

I just ordered the Revive Hand Polish.  Question:  Do you think this will permanently get rid of the residue, or will I have to reapply consistently?

Once the residue is gone you should be OK.  And what Ray said on the previous post too.^

Using the wrong wheel cleaner can be a common mistake, leading to potential damage. For optimal care of your wheels, choose a cleaner compatible with the wheel material. Ensure it's suitable for the specific finish to avoid any adverse effects. Whether you have sleek wheels or any other size, selecting the right cleaner is crucial for maintaining their appearance and longevity.

Edited by falcaineer
Removed link to external site