Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene coating dead?

CorvZ061

Question

On June 30, 2023 I spent the day decon/strip wash, clay bar, buffing to remove swirls, washing again, and finally after parking in the garage for several hours waited until 9 pm to apply the coating when it was cool, about 80 degrees. Car sat for 48 hours before the booster was applied and another 8 before moving from garage. I was ecstatic with the results. Fast forward 9 months and I’m noticing that the coating isn’t beeding well anymore. Water just sits on car like nothing is there. Is the coating dead or just clogged? 

This car sits outside, my other 2 take the garage. As far as maintenance goes, I wash every other week with Graphene shampoo and apply booster every 3 months. I’m getting due for the booster to be reapplied, but the coating not beeding has me hesitant. 

I have the original ceramic coating on my Chevelle for the past 4 years and haven’t experienced this, but that car is pampered and stays in the garage unless it’s being driven. 

attached is a photo from right after I applied the coating. 

E7F5B7D0-9813-46F9-B367-ED3000624804.jpeg

11 answers to this question

Have some questions... Which version of coating did you apply? What did you Wash with before coating, and did you use Surface Prep before coating? Which booster are you using?

18 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Have some questions... Which version of coating did you apply? What did you Wash with before coating, and did you use Surface Prep before coating? Which booster are you using?

I used the Graphene coating, not advanced. 

washed with strip wash before coating, and yes used surface prep. Graphene boost was the booster used. It all came in a kit, minus the strip wash

Hi Travis,

The sun in the south is a bit brutal on the vehicles left outside and I am also convinced that our wolderful pollen has a negative effect.   The Graphene Coating can last 2-3 years for a pure garage queen that is well taken care of.  However, a daily driver left outside 24/7, if you should get a year to 18 months maybe fore with some extra care.  You can extend the life of the daily drivers Graphene Coating by putting Ceramic Liquid Wax on it in mid-February and just letting it wear off by itself in about 3 or 4 months. 

I'm of the opinion that the Liquid Ceramic Wax adds a layer of protection over the coating to keep the pollen from eating at the coating or it could be the coarse matter in the pollen acting like an abrasive.  I'm not sure what it is about the pollen, but I have noticed the dew mixed with the polen would leave noticeable steaks in the coating over time.   The small investment and time to put the Liquid Ceramic Wax on the daily driver in the early spring is something that I consider well worth it.

7 hours ago, CorvZ061 said:

I used the Graphene coating, not advanced. 

washed with strip wash before coating, and yes used surface prep. Graphene boost was the booster used. It all came in a kit, minus the strip wash

Did you do any sort of polishing?

6 hours ago, The Guz said:

Did you do any sort of polishing?

Yes, I had to remove some minor swirls. Nothing major, just one pass with swirl and haze remover and one pass with machine polish then strip wash before using surface prep and then applying coating 

It could just be heavily contaminated from being outside 24/7.  It is referred to as a decon wash.  Search 3 ph on youtube to get an idea of a decon wash.  If that does not revive it then you can just boost it for now with the advanced spray coating until you are ready to re-coat it.  

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

I would try Strip Wash and Fine Grade Clay, and maybe Iron Remover, too. Those should help remove and decon the coating.

I have some strip wash and iron remover already. Those won’t hurt the coating if it is still ok? I’m thinking it’s not dead, yet. Reason being it rained yesterday and the sides of the car are still beading quite a bit, it’s really just hood, roof, and trunk that are struggling. After washing it again with regular car shampoo instead of the graphene shampoo the hood and roof and trunk are beading better than they were. Do you know if the purple/blue car shampoo has a stronger/more effective cleaner than the graphene shampoo? 

1 minute ago, CorvZ061 said:

I have some strip wash and iron remover already. Those won’t hurt the coating if it is still ok? I’m thinking it’s not dead, yet. Reason being it rained yesterday and the sides of the car are still beading quite a bit, it’s really just hood, roof, and trunk that are struggling. After washing it again with regular car shampoo instead of the graphene shampoo the hood and roof and trunk are beading better than they were. Do you know if the purple/blue car shampoo has a stronger/more effective cleaner than the graphene shampoo? 

No, it won't hurt it to use them. 

And no, the Graphene Shampoo is more of a heavy degreaser than anything else, while Car Shampoo is a basic soap and the (purple) Ultra Foam, if that's what you mean, has some silica added for protection. 

26 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

And no, the Graphene Shampoo is more of a heavy degreaser than anything else, while Car Shampoo is a basic soap and the (purple) Ultra Foam, if that's what you mean, has some silica added for protection. 

I will go ahead and order the clay bar, and give it a go this weekend. 

On 5/1/2024 at 3:24 PM, falcaineer said:

The news isn’t good. Started with strip wash, and then iron remover. No noticeable difference. Got the clay bar and went over it with the clay bar. Still no difference. Went ahead and machine polished it, removed whatever was left of the coating and applied a traditional wax to tide me over until I decide what to do from here.