Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sponge too big, cut in half?

DCRANER

Question

Maybe a silly question, but. The gray sponge for the tires / VRT is quite fat, and with the gap in the middle almost seems like two sponges sandwiched together.

I ask this as on my 09 Vette with the low profile tires I find it hard to spread the VRT just on the tire and it's too fat for the bottom of the tire that is on the ground.

Shall I cut the sponge in half. Or, as I have done with tire dressings for years just use a cheap small paint brush or would that leave a greasey look ?

10 answers to this question

I cut up my gray sponges as well, helps get one just the right size. I also recommend the new blue tire sponges, they work even better than the gray ones for tires. For your low-profile tires check out Tiag's sponge modifications in this thread - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916&highlight=sponge

I do like the new sponger better then the square blocks. It does look like the new sponges break down easier then the blocks. I have chunks missing out of the sponge already, but it does do a better job then the square blocks.

The Blue or the Red ?

I found the Blue to hold up much longer than the old black ones but every brand of tire is different so that could have something to do with it :2thumbs::2thumbs:

The Red is real soft and shouldn't really be used on any ruff surface that would tear it up. It also makes a great applicator for wax. If you ever lost or broke your Americana applicator the Red sponge will do the trick :D:D:D