Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Much for a Detail?

Devin04

Question

The word has been spreading that I love to detail my car and wouldn't mind helping others out with theirs. I've had a few people come and tell me they will pay me but I don't know what to ask for. They know I'm not going to try to rip them off and they want me to charge enough so that it's worth my time. My upcoming detail is on a white 08 VW GTI. She has never washed it I'm pretty sure but it seems to be in good condition. My plan is a wash with Dawn to remove any buildup of wax and junk followed by claying and finally some Americana and dressings. I'm guessing it will take me about 5 hrs. Any tips on what I should charge or how to charge? By job, materials used, or time? I wouldn't mind this as a job on the weekends for some extra cash.

• Answers 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wash, clayed everything, Americana wax, VRT on trim and tires, BSG on chrome and glass. Yes, I had to use a ladder. It was bigger than I thought, never saw it up close in person.

Before:

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02461.jpg

This was after doing 1/4 of the roof.

DSC02467.jpg

After:

DSC02469.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

Again it was really shady where I took these pics so they are not the best.

Looks like you do good work Devin! Hopefully you'll get some more customers and your little business will grow!:banana:

Thanks Brian. I wasn't as happy with this one as I was with the last one. It was still amazing but I was rushed threw this one. The customer told me the day of they needed it back in 3 hrs. So I had to cut out some steps like doing the door jams and claying. And I was thinking of just not doing the wax today too and just setting her up for another full detail another day when I'd have more time. But she called me back and said that she was getting a ride and I could spend more time, so I went back and did the jams, clayed, and did the wax ect. It was just a screwey day, not to mention it was a little larger that I usually work with. But it was good pratice. I have a couple of more people at work that want me to do their car. I'm still working on some things but it's coming together, slowely.

Edited by Devin04

Thanks Brian. I wasn't as happy with this one as I was with the last one. It was still amazing but I was rushed threw this one. The customer told me the day of they needed it back in 3 hrs. So I had to cut out some steps like doing the door jams and claying. And I was thinking of just not doing the wax today too and just setting her up for another full detail another day when I'd have more time. But she called me back and said that she was getting a ride and I could spend more time, so I went back and did the jams, clayed, and did the wax ect. It was just a screwey day, not to mention it was a little larger that I usually work with. But it was good pratice. I have a couple of more people at work that want me to do their car. I'm still working on some things but it's coming together, slowely.

Atleast you were eased into it, my first two vehicles were H2s and my third and still in progress is a volvo tractor.

FWIW:

The local details shops charge between $225-250 for a thorough exterior, interior and engine bay detailing. The exterior gets a wash & wax, wheel cleaning, tar removal, tire detail, etc. The interior gets vacuuming, cloth/leather upholstery cleaning & dressing, leather seat and dash/door trim cleaning/dressing, carpet clean & stain removal, class & instrument cleaning. The engine bay gets a “steam” cleaning and a “wipe down” with something probably equivalent to Son-of-a-Gun or Armor All.

I don't know how long it takes them to do the job.

This is a great thread. Once I get all my stuff, I plan to do the family rides. However, I would love to pick up a few cars. 2/week would be great for me. There is a high end detailer near me that gets some real heavy hitters. $300-$350 for a inside/outside detail. Engine bay costs $50 more. SUV/Truck $50 more. In theory, he could grab $400 for a whole detail. That is sick. This guys havs 5-6 cars in the parking alot every day plus what he is working on. He has a good system, people who wash, rims etc. And he just does the machine work. And cashes checks lol!

This is a great thread. Once I get all my stuff, I plan to do the family rides. However, I would love to pick up a few cars. 2/week would be great for me. There is a high end detailer near me that gets some real heavy hitters. $300-$350 for a inside/outside detail. Engine bay costs $50 more. SUV/Truck $50 more. In theory, he could grab $400 for a whole detail. That is sick. This guys havs 5-6 cars in the parking alot every day plus what he is working on. He has a good system, people who wash, rims etc. And he just does the machine work. And cashes checks lol!

Go ask if he needs help :) It would be a great way to learn! I studied under a gentleman who prepares cars for the Pebble Beach Concours `d Elegance: Phd in chemical engineering, professor, and a consultant to 3M & DuPont among others. I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the things he taught me. He's the Yoda to my Luke Skywalker :lol: and could make a car shine using pigs blood and a brillo pad. I met him at a car show years ago, just after I finished high school: I HAD to ask why he had a spray bottle in an ice bucket :hi: I wouldn't know half of what I know now if I didn't walk up, ask questions, and take an interest in what he had to say. "Need any help?" is a question that can take you on a pretty long trip.

Ok, I'll bite....

What's up with spray bottle in ice cold water? Lemme take a stab. Seeing a hot surface is not easy to work with, whatever is in the bottle would be designed to cool the surface? Now, if this was at a car show then the car must have been 'show ready' sooooo it could not be water. Chilled detail spray? Shaken, not stirred.

I called a shop in the area that I liked a few months ago to see if they were hiring. It had been a few weeks and they hadn't gotten back to me so I gave them a call. No luck, he says business is slow. I wouldn't mind working for someone just to learn what they know.

Ok, I'll bite....

What's up with spray bottle in ice cold water? Lemme take a stab. Seeing a hot surface is not easy to work with, whatever is in the bottle would be designed to cool the surface? Now, if this was at a car show then the car must have been 'show ready' sooooo it could not be water. Chilled detail spray? Shaken, not stirred.

Certainly was water.

I called a shop in the area that I liked a few months ago to see if they were hiring. It had been a few weeks and they hadn't gotten back to me so I gave them a call. No luck, he says business is slow. I wouldn't mind working for someone just to learn what they know.

Most detailers book in advance - so if he's slow and struggling for something to do...

Everybody is watching thier pennies these days. The shop near me, those people proabally are not bother too much by it these days as the rest of the common folk. He gets some nice rides over there. My son's daycare is down the street and I love to see what he has in the lot when I pick him up lol. Few exotics, but some real nice cars none the less.