Customer Service 866.965.0400

Vinyl Stripes

TR6speed

Question

I am thinking of putting on a set of Grand Sport fender stripes on my 2001 Corvette. They are a high grade of vinyl and the vendor is well respected on the different Corvette forums. Can I apply the most any of the Adams products (Swirl & Haze Remover, Fine Machine Polish, Machine Superwax, Americana Wax and Detail Spray) over the vinyl stripe kit, or should I apply a different dressing and protectant?

14 answers to this question

Absolutely. I've had vinyl stripes on the hood of my Vette for almost 6 years now and I've never treated them any different than the rest of the car. No, they're not under clear coat.

000_0264.jpg

Just remember Rich works by hand not with a PC, I'd stay off the edges with a PC :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yep, I do it by hand. And Bill's right about taping it off if you use the PC. :2thumbs:

Hey there, I have black vinyl stripes on my GT500, and I treat them just like the paint now. I use the PC on it just fine as well, just be careful around corners and make sure not to go AGAINST sharp edges, only off of them. The only thing I have yet to test on the stripes is the orange pad coupled with SHR. I'll be testing it soon to see how the stripes hold up to the more aggressive combo.

Just remember Rich works by hand not with a PC, I'd stay off the edges with a PC :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What about buffing over an older cars pinstripes that are not under the clear. Should they be taped off too? And what's the best way to remove them? It's on my girlfriend's CRV they are in pretty bad shape I'm thinking of just taking them off.

What about buffing over an older cars pinstripes that are not under the clear. Should they be taped off too? And what's the best way to remove them? It's on my girlfriend's CRV they are in pretty bad shape I'm thinking of just taking them off.

Alot of people say they are a pain.

I'd tape them up just to be sure, but usually the Porter cable doesn't give too much grief when going over pin striping. To remove them, heat it up with a heat gun or blow dryer and just pull the striping off. If there's any residue, followup with 3M Adhesive Remover.