Customer Service 866.965.0400

talk about bad luck (400 days to figure life out)

IMADreamer

I've had a string of bad luck in the last 24 hours. Last night I was working away at my job as a water treatment engineer, a job I was hoping to make a career out of since it loosely relates to my degree and I love the job and the people I work with. Well anyway, my town has decided to build a new treatment plant, this has been in the works for a while and when I was initially hired the plant was going to employ more full time people then the current one does so I've been training my butt off to get all my certifications etc etc. Well I'm still a year away from actually being able to complete it all. However recently due to the economy and what not the plans of the new plant changed and last night when my boss came in for his shift he informed me that the new plant will now employ half the people of the current plant (which is only 4). So the new plant employs two and I'm 4th on the list for seniority, so guess whose not going to have a job when the new plant opens (400 days from today). Yeah me. It bummed me out some last night but I thought oh well I still have my day job.

My day job is politics, it's a dirty nasty field and I don't have the love for it I once did but it's a job and I was hanging on to it until the new water plant opened and I got full time there. This morning I get a call about some big meeting tonight I need to attend which is nothing new, but then a few minutes later the direct of the program I work under shows up at my office. UH OH. He comes in sits me down tells me how good of a worker I am and my service has been extremely valuable and my future is bright. Well you can guess where that load of crap was heading.

That's right, they are closing my office. Not until after the 2010 mid term election because we are funded until then but after that, it's over. After he left I kinda laughed a little then it hit me MY GOD I GOT LAYED OFF TWICE IN 24 HOURS!!!!

That's gotta be some kind of record.

So anyway, there's my day so far. It's kinda funny really, you know in a holy crap what the hell am I gonna do now sorta way. Atleast I have some time to save money and find a new job but I'm completely clueless on where to look and what to look for at this point.

What a day. lol

WOW... that is a bad streak of luck, at least on the bright side you've got a little over a year at the first place to network, make some new connections, and maybe establish a new path.

I recently had a similar situation where b/c of my lack of seniority I was going to be forced onto an off shift... luckily I held my ground and they worked with me to keep me on my current schedule and hired a temp to fill the off shift void. I often wonder why seniority plays so heavily into these decisions. Being somewhere for a long time doesn't necessarily make you better at the job... it just means you've been doing it longer.

From what little interaction we have on this board I can tell you're a sharp guy, I'm sure it'll all work out for you. Best of luck!!

I hate hearing stories like this. Wow. That is terrible. Twice in one day!! mad-1.gif

MI is at its all time high of 12% being laid off. :(

Just a thought but you could think about becoming an Adam's Distributor in your area??

I wish you much luck in finding your future job. :cheers:

I hate hearing stories like this. Wow. That is terrible. Twice in one day!! mad-1.gif

MI is at its all time high of 12% being laid off. :(

Just a thought but you could think about becoming an Adam's Distributor in your area??

I wish you much luck in finding your future job. :cheers:

It's kinda funny you said that because my Dad is a farmer and in the off season does classic tractor restoration and fabrication. In recent years he's been branching out more and more into the car world and I've been fabricating carbon fiber parts in his shop and one day he was actually discussing with his partner getting a car care line of products to sell at antique tractor shows. (you think car guys are nuts, you should see these guys. lol) I mentioned Adam's and he told me to inquire about it. I did and reported back and he said they will think about it after harvest this year. So who knows. I think tapping the antique tractor market as well as the local car market we might be able to make a go of it. So who knows what will happen, it's definitely a possibility.

Jason,

Just keep bugging him about it. If he has already mentioned it to you in the past that he wants to incorporate a Car Care Line of products with his business, what better product??

I agree that the Tractor guys are just as nuts about keeping their big toys shiny and clean. I have seen proof at our local county fairs. :rockon:

I have a feeling that things will turn out just fine for you. :thumbsup:

Hang in there. According to our commander in chief, things are looking up with the economy. So a lot could change in the next 400 days. You just never know. I think becoming a distributor would work out well for you. Sounds like an untapped market. Good luck to you whatever happens. :thumbsup:

detail full time:pc::thumbsup:

Heck yeah! You have a year to get good at it - get some experience and work for yourself :) It doesn't matter how many detail shops your town has - build a reputation for yourself and you won't even have to think about competition. My garage was within 2 miles of 3 other detail shops, but I always made more money and always got the better cars...without ever advertising or even having a sign. It can be done :2thumbs: And in 400 days, you can launch a Grand Opening with a Winter Wash Special!!

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

That's true 400 days is a lot of time to get my stuff together. I'd need to find a place, and get some more Adam's goodies. :) Maybe I better start looking into how to run my own business. (tax wise and stuff)

Jason, 400 days is 400 days more than many people I know were given recently! Heck, the world can, and will change much in the next 400 days.

In fact, if things continue, the economy should have recovered more in the next year, and since you have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much time to figure out, 'Plan Next,' you are in the driver's seat!

Remember, a job is just that, a job. You will find another, and I guarantee, will look back at this post one day soon and think, "Ha, look at how stressed I was, and now, my new job, business, etc, is way better than what I was doing!"

Mark my words Jason. . . . . .. . . . . .;)

That must have been a little rough, twice in one day. But Adam is right, you will turn this around and wind up better than you are now. I'm an engineer also and have been laid off in the past; not fun, not easy, and not without some sacrifice, but always came out better ahead in the end. Best of luck to you.

Bruce

What's your major/degree?

My degree is Meteorology. :loser: lol

I worked as one for exactly 6 months, loved it, company went out a business though. :( I've never really found a job close to it since, then this water treatment thing came along which wanted and "environmental science" degree and I jumped on it.

I don't know if I'll ever get to use my degree again, that's ok if I don't. I've never worked a job I didn't like, but I'm pretty easy going too so I tend to find the best in everything. I love weather, cars, and agriculture. If I could combine those three and make money off it, I'd be in heaven. :D