Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Scratch Eliminator: The Grit Guard Bucket!

Junkman2008

Question

"Should I buy one?"

That was a question that I asked myself. I looked at the price and said, "Hmmm... that's a pricey bucket." I already have plenty big buckets because I have cats (cat litter buckets are nice!). "Plus, what is this Grit Guard thing that they are pushing?", I thought. I probably wouldn't have got one but I recently had an opportunity to try one out.

I think the reason these buckets are not selling like hot cakes is because people don't really understand what the Grit Guard system is all about. If the purpose of these buckets were clear, they would sell like crack. Let me enlighten those of you who may have some questions.

I washed my car the other day. My car never gets filthy on the outside because I refrain from driving it in the rain, and I usually wash the thing like 3 times a week. Before I dip my microfiber mitt into the bucket, I have rinsed the car off, and I have soaked it down with a healthy soapy concoction from my foam gun. Only then do I go to the bucket.

I use the two bucket system. One bucket for soap, and then one for rinsing out the mitt before I put it back in the soap. This keeps the grit that I remove from the car from getting into the soap (so I thought), and then creating scratches and swirls all over the paint as soon as I wipe the mitt across the paint again. This point in the car detailing process is where the scratches and swirls are created most. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, check out these pics:

Here's a shot of the Grit Guard bucket after I've finished washing the car. Notice how there is still plenty soapy water in the bucket.

gritgd1.jpg

In this picture, I've dumped most of the water out so that you can see how clean the water is. The two bucket system helps keep the water clean and makes my soap go a lot further.

gritgd2.jpg

Now here comes the shocker. I dump all the water out of the bucket. The Grit Guard plate stands about 2 - 3 inches above the bottom of the bucket. Because of this, my microfiber mitt cannot scrape the bottom of the bucket. Why is this important you ask? Because this is what I found sitting in the bottom of my bucket:

gritgd3.jpg

Needless to say, I was shocked. It looks like I just got through washing the bottom of the car or something. There is enough grit and dirt in the bottom of this bucket to scratch my paint to hell and back. Using my two bucket system may help, but I realized that it wasn't 100% because I used 2 buckets to do this wash. For those of you using 1 bucket, I can just imagine what is being scraped across your paint while you are washing your ride.

This was enough to convince me that the Grit Guard system is not the gimmicky, expensive, fancy bucket that I though it was. You are looking at proof that it works. I am totally sold on how effective these things are. If you could care less about your cars paint, this is not the bucket for you. For those of you who want the swirl free paint, especially those of you who have dark colored cars like me, you have got to add one of these to your arsenal. I mean, look at that picture again. That could be grinding across your paint every time you wipe your mitt across it.

With the Grit Guard, you can do double duty by purchasing a second Grit Guard insert for your rinse bucket. As you rinse your mitt, you would scrub the mitt across the guard which helps clean the mitt by releasing any grit to deposit in the bottom of the rinse bucket. I like having it in both buckets because I'm kinda anal like that. lol.gif

By the way, the caddy you see under the bucket is a nice addition that Adam's sells. The Grit Guard bucket even comes with a lid to ensure that it is clean when you go to use it next time.

gritgd5.jpg

Should you get one of these? Only if you want your paint to look like this:

reflectivity2a.jpg

Or, you can continue riding around like this! ack.gif

swirlcity.jpg

It's all about the image you want to project! Oh, you can get your own Grit Guard bucket here.

The Junkman

Edited by Junkman2008

Very Good write-up Junkman !!! :thumbsup:

I have been using the 2 bucket system for over a year but not with grit guards...

I had been using 2 washpads tho and rotated pads like so:

First, I'd soak both pads in the soapy water and grab one of them and start washing the car doing one panel and than put that pad in the rinse water bucket,

swish it around some and leave it in that bucket to soak more before going back in the soapy water bucket.

Secondly, I'd grab the other pad and wash another panel, than take the first pad and go back in the soapy bucket,

take the second pad to the rinse bucket and swish that one and leave it, than go back and grab pad one wash another panel and

continue that process of washing and rinsing the pads til I got the car done.

While this did help, I still got swirl marks...

I now have an ADAMS foam gun, 2 ADAMS buckets with gritguards and caddys on both, 2 ADAMS washpads, and will continue doing the

rotating swishing 2 pad/2 bucket system...

But now with the gritguards to help do an even better job fighting those nasty swirl marks. :thumbsup:

Make sure that you are scrubbing the mitts across the Grit Guards in order to knock any dirt in them, out. Other than that, sounds good! :cheers:

Make sure that you are scrubbing the mitts across the Grit Guards in order to knock any dirt in them, out. Other than that, sounds good! :cheers:

Yeah I guess I didn't point that out clearly, but that's what I meant to say with the swishing in the rinse and wash buckets that I rub the pad across the grit guards in both bucket before going back and touching the car...:rockon::cheers:

Adam ought to stock & resell that diamond plate bracket for the double Grit Guard Dolly (caddy) set-up. It would make the whole thing w/two buckets easier. Use one to sit on & the other to hold you detailing supplies after your done with the wash. Saves the knees. In any case, you can get it from Grit Guard.

BTW, the Grit Guards are a great product, but aside form the logo's is there anything special about the Adams, AG, Poorboys, etc. "buckets", themselves? I think I have the same thing from Lowes, only with some generic logo on them (white too). Just thought I'd ask.

Thx.

See ya :hi:

:D Buy 2 AJ ,you can get the bracket from Grit Gaurd that hooks both buckets together !:2thumbs:

Adam ought to stock & resell that diamond plate bracket for the double Grit Guard Dolly (caddy) set-up. It would make the whole thing w/two buckets easier. Use one to sit on & the other to hold you detailing supplies after your done with the wash. Saves the knees. In any case, you can get it from Grit Guard.

BTW, the Grit Guards are a great product, but aside form the logo's is there anything special about the Adams, AG, Poorboys, etc. "buckets", themselves? I think I have the same thing from Lowes, only with some generic logo on them (white too). Just thought I'd ask.

Thx.

Yes. The difference is customer support like you've never experienced. Have a problem with your bucket? Call Adam's and watch your problem disappear. You will be hard pressed to find the level of customer service that Adam's delivers. This is why we support Adam. He returns our loyalty with support unheard of today. :thumbsup:

I'd agree w/that. Quite good! :thumbsup: Just wondered if there was any product difference. The white Lowes bucket+lid was $3.67. Add the lovely red Grit Guard for $9-10 & you have it........But, then I want a set of red dollies plus the diamond plate for connectivity.....and then I want a red cushion for the top of one bucket to sit on.......and a labels that say "wash" & "rinse to label the buckets. THAT would be the cool set-up!! :)

Yes. The difference is customer support like you've never experienced. Have a problem with your bucket? Call Adam's and watch your problem disappear. You will be hard pressed to find the level of customer service that Adam's delivers. This is why we support Adam. He returns our loyalty with support unheard of today. :thumbsup:

I agree with Junkman. The service you get from Adam's is great. There is nothing wrong with a bucket from Lowe's. If the Grit Guard fits, a bucket is a bucket. As for the dollies, I think most buckets will fit. I don't own a dolly so I cannot speak for certain.

Now, here is the way I look at it... I spent some time reading ALOT on this fourm. I cannot tell you how many stories are on here about how someone (as a customer) has had an issue with an order/product/whatever and they had it taken care of right away and then some. I can speak of one instance myself. Adam sells alot of great products, to some extent a bit more cash than the competition for like products. The few dollars extra is worth it when I have an issue. Not too mention that his stuff works, and works pretty darn good. I say to each there own. However, I highly doubt you will find a better car care company than this one. Remember, this is not a Mom & Pop down the street who you see in church. This is a online store. (You can get things locally at a dealer if you are so lucky to have one near) But try and find another online retail store with this level of custormer satisfaction and service level. I have yet to and I have been shopping the net for a long time.

I have worked in retail for 16 years now and CS is what it all comes down to. Especially in this economy. I'll give Adam a few extra bucks because I know at some point, I will need help and he WILL be there and make the problem right.

Just something to consider as you mull over the products. You will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:

But......what I wanted to know in my original question, actually, was: is these anything different about the buckets sold by Adams or the other car care sites, like AG, PoorBoys, Grit Guard, etc.? Are the buckets heavier construction, different lid attachment systems, dimensional differences to fit the Grit Guard, etc.? :confused: Using the dollies, there are examples where one bucket/dolly is used as a rolling seat w/the other as a product holder.....after the washing is down. Looks like a major back & knee saver!:eek: But, the bucket/seat/dolly has to be able to hold a 200lb-er.

Adams reputation for customer service is great and his personal attention to customers is fabulous. :2thumbs: It's great to get a call back from the owner of a company when you need assistance or have questions about their products. He touched base with me right away when I inquired about his products w/questions. And, its worth a premium in the long run......ala, on-line retailer customer service benchmarks like, Lands End, LLBean, Nordstroms, even NewEgg, etc.. Their customer bases are probably in the millions, so you don't hear back from the owner, per se, but, they have the same philosophy.....satisfy the customer. Ever want to return something to Nordstroms, for whatever reason, from say 15 yrs. ago?...........no problem, send it back, we'll handle it & give you a replacement/money back, whatever you need! Amazin'! :)

I agree with Junkman. The service you get from Adam's is great. There is nothing wrong with a bucket from Lowe's. If the Grit Guard fits, a bucket is a bucket. As for the dollies, I think most buckets will fit. I don't own a dolly so I cannot speak for certain.

Now, here is the way I look at it... I spent some time reading ALOT on this fourm. I cannot tell you how many stories are on here about how someone (as a customer) has had an issue with an order/product/whatever and they had it taken care of right away and then some. I can speak of one instance myself. Adam sells alot of great products, to some extent a bit more cash than the competition for like products. The few dollars extra is worth it when I have an issue. Not too mention that his stuff works, and works pretty darn good. I say to each there own. However, I highly doubt you will find a better car care company than this one. Remember, this is not a Mom & Pop down the street who you see in church. This is a online store. (You can get things locally at a dealer if you are so lucky to have one near) But try and find another online retail store with this level of custormer satisfaction and service level. I have yet to and I have been shopping the net for a long time.

I have worked in retail for 16 years now and CS is what it all comes down to. Especially in this economy. I'll give Adam a few extra bucks because I know at some point, I will need help and he WILL be there and make the problem right.

Just something to consider as you mull over the products. You will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:

But......what I wanted to know in my original question, actually, was: is these anything different about the buckets sold by Adams or the other car care sites, like AG, PoorBoys, Grit Guard, etc.? Are the buckets heavier construction, different lid attachment systems, dimensional differences to fit the Grit Guard, etc.? :confused: Using the dollies, there are examples where one bucket/dolly is used as a rolling seat w/the other as a product holder.....after the washing is down. Looks like a major back & knee saver!:eek: But, the bucket/seat/dolly has to be able to hold a 200lb-er.

Adams reputation for customer service is great and his personal attention to customers is fabulous. :2thumbs: It's great to get a call back from the owner of a company when you need assistance or have questions about their products. He touched base with me right away when I inquired about his products w/questions. And, its worth a premium in the long run......ala, on-line retailer customer service benchmarks like, Lands End, LLBean, Nordstroms, even NewEgg, etc.. Their customer bases are probably in the millions, so you don't hear back from the owner, per se, but, they have the same philosophy.....satisfy the customer. Ever want to return something to Nordstroms, for whatever reason, from say 15 yrs. ago?...........no problem, send it back, we'll handle it & give you a replacement/money back, whatever you need! Amazin'! :)

To answer your question, if the bucket has the trademark name "Grit Guard", then they all come from the same place.

I need to get myself one of these...I've been just using 1 bucket for awhile time to step it up! Just need it to cool off out here in az!

If this picture doesn't make someone buy one of these, nothing will. This was after doing a two bucket wash, however, the second bucket didn't have a Grit Guard in it. Now I have TWO Grit Guard buckets!

gritgd3.jpg

Think all that grit won't scratch up your paint?

anything different about the buckets sold by Adams or the other car care sites, like AG, PoorBoys, Grit Guard, etc.? Are the buckets heavier construction, different lid attachment systems, dimensional differences to fit the Grit Guard, etc.?

The Autogeek, Poorboy's, and Grit Guard buckets look to be regular 5 gallon buckets with the Gamm-Seal lids. The Adam's 4.25 gal. bucket seems to be a sturdier bucket, with thicker walls, and the Gamma-Seal lid. The Grit Guard will fit in the orange HD Homer bucket. I use the Adam's bucket for washing and the HD bucket with the Grit Guard for wash mitt rinsing.

If this picture doesn't make someone buy one of these, nothing will. This was after doing a two bucket wash, however, the second bucket didn't have a Grit Guard in it. Now I have TWO Grit Guard buckets!

gritgd3.jpg

Think all that grit won't scratch up your paint?

**** you AJ! More money you've convinced me to spend...ill be ordering 2 grit guard buckets on my next order! Aj next time you're in az u gotta detail my car! Haha

**** you AJ! More money you've convinced me to spend...ill be ordering 2 grit guard buckets on my next order! Aj next time you're in az u gotta detail my car! Haha

You can bring it up to Reno for the Hot August Nights Show and I'll at least knock out a fender! :D

I learned this lesson the hard way today. I'm usually very careful and have never had swirls, but man I swirled the living daylights out of my paint today. I was devestated, 3 years with no swirls and one bad wash job and it's ruined. So I bit a big bullet today and bought the machine polish kit. It hurt to spend the money but if it can bring my baby back to new it will be worth it.

Ok time to study your videos AJ like I'm cramming for a final in college. lol

I learned this lesson the hard way today. I'm usually very careful and have never had swirls, but man I swirled the living daylights out of my paint today. I was devestated, 3 years with no swirls and one bad wash job and it's ruined. So I bit a big bullet today and bought the machine polish kit. It hurt to spend the money but if it can bring my baby back to new it will be worth it.

Ok time to study your videos AJ like I'm cramming for a final in college. lol

I may be in Illinios this weekend at the SkyBaby BBQ. If you can make it, I'll show you first hand how to fix it, or fix it myself. :thumbsup:

I may be in Illinios this weekend at the SkyBaby BBQ. If you can make it, I'll show you first hand how to fix it, or fix it myself. :thumbsup:

ah man I was planning on going but some guy at work had an appendectomy today and now I have to work all weekend.

Hey, Mike, thanks for the detailed answer to the question. Appreciate the input & specificity. :) Regards.

See ya. :hi:

The Autogeek, Poorboy's, and Grit Guard buckets look to be regular 5 gallon buckets with the Gamm-Seal lids. The Adam's 4.25 gal. bucket seems to be a sturdier bucket, with thicker walls, and the Gamma-Seal lid. The Grit Guard will fit in the orange HD Homer bucket. I use the Adam's bucket for washing and the HD bucket with the Grit Guard for wash mitt rinsing.