Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Scratch Eliminator: The Grit Guard Bucket!

Junkman2008

Question

"Should I buy one?"

That was a question that I asked myself. I looked at the price and said, "Hmmm... that's a pricey bucket." I already have plenty big buckets because I have cats (cat litter buckets are nice!). "Plus, what is this Grit Guard thing that they are pushing?", I thought. I probably wouldn't have got one but I recently had an opportunity to try one out.

I think the reason these buckets are not selling like hot cakes is because people don't really understand what the Grit Guard system is all about. If the purpose of these buckets were clear, they would sell like crack. Let me enlighten those of you who may have some questions.

I washed my car the other day. My car never gets filthy on the outside because I refrain from driving it in the rain, and I usually wash the thing like 3 times a week. Before I dip my microfiber mitt into the bucket, I have rinsed the car off, and I have soaked it down with a healthy soapy concoction from my foam gun. Only then do I go to the bucket.

I use the two bucket system. One bucket for soap, and then one for rinsing out the mitt before I put it back in the soap. This keeps the grit that I remove from the car from getting into the soap (so I thought), and then creating scratches and swirls all over the paint as soon as I wipe the mitt across the paint again. This point in the car detailing process is where the scratches and swirls are created most. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, check out these pics:

Here's a shot of the Grit Guard bucket after I've finished washing the car. Notice how there is still plenty soapy water in the bucket.

gritgd1.jpg

In this picture, I've dumped most of the water out so that you can see how clean the water is. The two bucket system helps keep the water clean and makes my soap go a lot further.

gritgd2.jpg

Now here comes the shocker. I dump all the water out of the bucket. The Grit Guard plate stands about 2 - 3 inches above the bottom of the bucket. Because of this, my microfiber mitt cannot scrape the bottom of the bucket. Why is this important you ask? Because this is what I found sitting in the bottom of my bucket:

gritgd3.jpg

Needless to say, I was shocked. It looks like I just got through washing the bottom of the car or something. There is enough grit and dirt in the bottom of this bucket to scratch my paint to hell and back. Using my two bucket system may help, but I realized that it wasn't 100% because I used 2 buckets to do this wash. For those of you using 1 bucket, I can just imagine what is being scraped across your paint while you are washing your ride.

This was enough to convince me that the Grit Guard system is not the gimmicky, expensive, fancy bucket that I though it was. You are looking at proof that it works. I am totally sold on how effective these things are. If you could care less about your cars paint, this is not the bucket for you. For those of you who want the swirl free paint, especially those of you who have dark colored cars like me, you have got to add one of these to your arsenal. I mean, look at that picture again. That could be grinding across your paint every time you wipe your mitt across it.

With the Grit Guard, you can do double duty by purchasing a second Grit Guard insert for your rinse bucket. As you rinse your mitt, you would scrub the mitt across the guard which helps clean the mitt by releasing any grit to deposit in the bottom of the rinse bucket. I like having it in both buckets because I'm kinda anal like that. lol.gif

By the way, the caddy you see under the bucket is a nice addition that Adam's sells. The Grit Guard bucket even comes with a lid to ensure that it is clean when you go to use it next time.

gritgd5.jpg

Should you get one of these? Only if you want your paint to look like this:

reflectivity2a.jpg

Or, you can continue riding around like this! ack.gif

swirlcity.jpg

It's all about the image you want to project! Oh, you can get your own Grit Guard bucket here.

The Junkman

Edited by Junkman2008

Yep i have to agree the bucket and the grit gaurd is a must, or using a 2 bucket system 1 for was and 1 for rinse , no point is paint correction , polishing and waxing , if u going to introduce more swirls the next time you wash. Chatting to allot of people i notice many overlook the washing aspect , and this is the most important. I simply love the Caddy system :-) makes for a good mobile stool when working with a machine on the car .. and prevent sore back after a detail. Awesome tool !

I can't wait. I have one on the way.

I've never used one, but I'm convinced it makes the difference. Thanks for the write up. Excellent work.

I would still recommend the two bucket system. I was using two buckets and still managed to get all that grit in my wash bucket. Imagine how much dirt would have been in that bucket if it was the only one I used. :eek:

wow good right up junkman =)im ordering grit gaurds..black camaro=terrible swirls...lol

Now you need to give Adam's a call and see which starter package they have that will get that paint back where it belongs. It ain't easy maintaining the paint on a dark colored car. As a matter of fact, it is a labor of love. :willy:

wow good right up junkman =)im ordering grit gaurds..black camaro=terrible swirls...lol

Looks like u gonna have to get your self a machine kit or some Swirl & Haze remover also and get cracking on this swirls , would make a good starting point to maintain from... and your grit guards and 2 buckets will help ensure that swirls don't return with a force !

I would still recommend the two bucket system. I was using two buckets and still managed to get all that grit in my wash bucket. Imagine how much dirt would have been in that bucket if it was the only one I used. :eek:

Now you need to give Adam's a call and see which starter package they have that will get that paint back where it belongs. It ain't easy maintaining the paint on a dark colored car. As a matter of fact, it is a labor of love. :willy:

yeah i already have the pc and swirl and haze remover,revive polish,and buttery wax,im ordering the new super wax/polish and 2 gritguards already have a dolly and the the 2 sided pads but i want to upgrade to the new 2.0!how much of a difference is between the new and old pads?blackis a pain....i got to get grit guards and a foam gun....

yeah i already have the pc and swirl and haze remover,revive polish,and buttery wax,im ordering the new super wax/polish and 2 gritguards already have a dolly and the the 2 sided pads but i want to upgrade to the new 2.0!how much of a difference is between the new and old pads?blackis a pain....i got to get grit guards and a foam gun....

I only have the new pads so someone else will have to chime in with their opinion of the old.

Good one Junkman, they are not expensive, in Australia I retail them at a loss, cost A$72.00 and will shortly increase them to make a buck,

They are not expensive when you realize how effective they are and the fact that they protect your paint the way they do. After sinking as much money into these cars as we do, that price is a drop in the bucket. However, to a normal Joe who doesn't understand the way that they work, they seem pricey at best. Now that I am informed, that price pays for itself after the first wash!

I hope more guys realize the effectiveness of these buckets and save their paint by buying two!

Dang AJ, you're like a super hero or something! Give the man a promotion I say! :2thumbs:

Oh, I see they did. Congrats on the Moderator status! :cheers:

It took me a couple of days to notice that too but now its been over a month man! If I were a snake you'd be bitten! :D

I agree with you Junkman. The grit guard is a great investment. I learned that that first time I used it when I got the mit too close to the bottom of the car. I just swished the mit against the guard and it took the wheel area grit right off so I didn't scratch the paint.

im gonna look in my bucket after work to see whats in the bottom of mine from washin it this past sunday!

so usin the 2 bucket method.....one bucket has car wash soap in it with a grit guard......and the other has just water with another grit guard insert? am i correct?

im gonna look in my bucket after work to see whats in the bottom of mine from washin it this past sunday!

so usin the 2 bucket method.....one bucket has car wash soap in it with a grit guard......and the other has just water with another grit guard insert? am i correct?

Definitely a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket. It's not completely necessary to have one in the wash bucket, but having one in there gives you a bit of extra insurance against paint marring. Plus, for $10; why not?

Very Good write-up Junkman !!! :thumbsup:

I have been using the 2 bucket system for over a year but not with grit guards...

I had been using 2 washpads tho and rotated pads like so:

First, I'd soak both pads in the soapy water and grab one of them and start washing the car doing one panel and than put that pad in the rinse water bucket,

swish it around some and leave it in that bucket to soak more before going back in the soapy water bucket.

Secondly, I'd grab the other pad and wash another panel, than take the first pad and go back in the soapy bucket,

take the second pad to the rinse bucket and swish that one and leave it, than go back and grab pad one wash another panel and

continue that process of washing and rinsing the pads til I got the car done.

While this did help, I still got swirl marks...

I now have an ADAMS foam gun, 2 ADAMS buckets with gritguards and caddys on both, 2 ADAMS washpads, and will continue doing the

rotating swishing 2 pad/2 bucket system...

But now with the gritguards to help do an even better job fighting those nasty swirl marks. :thumbsup:

Yes.