Customer Service 866.965.0400

General engine and bay cleaning

phdpsy

Question

Took the car out for a long weekend (680 miles round trip....no rain thank goodness) but the engine bay, resiviors, engine, etc. are covered wtih dust and the occasional road grime. Now I've not been a person to try and do any type of total underhood wash....more spot detailing becuase I did not want to take the chance on messing something up, hurting electronics etc. Now however, I'd like to see if there are safe options. I saw comments with the foam gun indicating you could fill it with all purpose cleaner, spray down the entire compartment, let it sit, and rinse. Then follow up with specific areas you may want to detail further.

Is this really safe to do without messing something up?

If so, I assume you would want to do it with the engine cool?

I clearly need some help:willy:

The car is a GT500 with a polished supercharger. I've attached a general picture from a few months ago.

TVS1.jpg

11 answers to this question

I'd like to see the rest of your Shelby. Here's a few photos of my 2006 GT and the Radiator Cover from BANGASTANG.com. BANGASTANG.com recommends Adams Polishes to all our customers and all of the Mustangs that we sponsor ONLY use Adams.

For any Mustang or Shelby owner who's a member of the Adam's forum BANGASTANG.com is having a Holiday Sale on our Shelby GT500 Radiator Cover. Use coupon code Teamshelbyholiday and receive one of our GT500 Radiator Cover for $499 painted with stripes and shipped to your door in time for Christmas.

At BANGASTANG.com there are two things that we must have Mustangs and Adam's Polishes.

Visit our website http://www.bangastang.com

I'm not to sure how to do this either. What's needs to be covered up when cleaning the engine? Just the fuse box and intake? Do u leave the engine running when rinsing? What's the worst thing that can happen if u do it wrong? Hey A.J. do u have any videos on how to clean the engine bays? That's sounds like a new project :2thumbs:

In the video/DVD, it says that you should clean the engine COLD. You shouldn't clean the engine if you are unsure of your ability to due so. It should be a late model car. You use the APC and use either the Blonde Hair Brush or the fender brush. Just brush lightly and then spray off with light water pressure. He didn't say anything about covering stuff up but if you are concerned, I would recommend covering the fuse box and the intake.

In the video/DVD, it says that you should clean the engine COLD. You shouldn't clean the engine if you are unsure of your ability to due so. It should be a late model car. You use the APC and use either the Blonde Hair Brush or the fender brush. Just brush lightly and then spray off with light water pressure. He didn't say anything about covering stuff up but if you are concerned, I would recommend covering the fuse box and the intake.

and alternator.

Ive always spot cleaned my engine, as i'm in the same boat as the member who posted this thread. I was always taught not to go into the engine bay with a hose from my dad and uncle when i was young. i understand I may have been taught incorrectly, but its always difficult for me to get over that hurdle for some reason. But yet I have no problem going over the entire car with a machine polisher. weird.

To the member with the GT500, you may want to make sure that the APC is safe to use on all that polished metal. It may be safer to use just the Adams carwash, and spray VRT on the plastic. But i am not sure about that., cant hurt to ask for all of our benefit.

I would also like to see a Junkman vid on doing this to his vette (with newer electrical technology). I think that would be really helpful for some of us.

Is it safe for the turbo to get wet on a force induced engine ?

Archived