Customer Service 866.965.0400

Noob with some questions and concerns

Michael415

Question

First let me say this forum is phenomenal, as well as Adam's company. I have only started a small collection (buckets, mits, etc.) and everything has been of the highest quality. I think I am ready to take the plunge once the weather clears a bit and give machine polishing a go but am hesitant still so hopefully I can get some input to put my concerns to rest.

A bit of background, I am used to doing hand polishing using a clay/several step process so this is nothing new but its my first time on a dark colored car. I always had bright silver before.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2009 Capri blue Mercedes SLK. I love the color but its DARK - to the degree it appears black in low light, purple/black in overcast and a hint of blue in direct light. When I picked the car up I could see there were a few small microscratches but nothing to get excited about.

After I got home about a week later I noticed some very light water spots. I did try to take pics but to be honest the camera has a hard time picking them up, but at certain angles they are noticeable. I will attach a pic.

This is my only car, but its not really a DD. I usually take mass transit (its easier than parking). So the car is somewhere between a daily driver and a garage queen. I probably take it out once or twice a week, sometimes more when the weather is nice. Apologies for all the detail I just want to make sure I cover all the basis.

To the questions! It really sounds like the Adams system is the way to go I only have one major concern. This car has basically only a flat roof, parts of the bonnet and lower door panels. There are angles everywhere, and I mean everywhere. After reading up and hearing to stay away from creases in the metal I am left wondering can I machine polish this car safely or am I being overly paranoid? I think the car has a fairly hard clear coat layer, they said it was baked with CeramiClear which is supposed to be harder to scratch if that factors in.

Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

A good place to start would be the Junkman videos and the Adams instructional videos if you haven't watched them already. They'll put your mind at ease when it comes to machine polishing.

As for your particular car I've detailed a number of Mercs of the same pedigree and theres not too much to worry about on the hood. The flexible backing plate and pads will take the curves fairly well and make it much less work than you think it'll be.

The flexible backing plate and pads will take the curves fairly well and make it much less work than you think it'll be.

:iagree: Many of the car manufacturers have been moving to a harder, ceramic clear coat with Mercedes being one of the first. I think you'd be hard pressed to do any damage with the PC. You might just ease up on the pressure around any edges to alleviate any concerns.

Japanese cars are known for having soft clear coats. My car gets light scratches from just looking at it the wrong way, but I haven't had any issues with machine polishing.:pc:

your paint seems to do the same thing mine does as far as color changing at different lighting....i too have some water spots that i hope to remove with some SHR so we will see how that goes....i agree with Chris...thats how i have done my car and havent had any issues

Thanks for all the input and alleviating my concerns. I think part of my concern stems from my previous car (the old style slk) which was much smoother in design.

I definitely have been watching the vids, Junkmans and Adams both. I liked the slow cut method even if it is a bit more tedious. I figured I won't get to do a high level detail until a few months but want to feel confident when I get to that point.

So a follow up question. If you tape all the edges do you then go back and hand polish along them or just leave them be? This is something I have never done before.

I was also thinking since my level of damage isn't that much (hopefully) that I could use a white pad with the SHR instead of the orange. After reading a few posts of hazing being noticeable on black cars using orange/SHR it has me a tad concerned.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

For any areas that you tape off, I would just decide if it needs polishing or not. If so, I would just go back and do those by hand. Since they're likely to be small areas, trying to use a machine is too much of a hassle. Sort of like polishing behind door handles. Pretty much has to be done by hand.

I also don't see any issues with using a white pad with SHR. The white pad just has less cut than the orange pad, so if you can use that combo to achieve the results you're looking for, that's what matters.:thumbsup:

Ooooh....another purple car! :drool: Must see more pics!!!

Yeah I love the color but in person under natural lighting it really shows up either like this pic or overcast in black. Its the first time the paint has looked that purple to my eye. Must have something to do with the temp of the flash. This isn't my car, I have a black interior but the color is accurate at least. :)

Archived