Customer Service 866.965.0400

One week old clear

papabearcamaro

Question

Hi everyone :)

I have a 2010 Camaro that I bought about three weeks ago. Just last week I had rally stripes painted on the hood and trunk lid. After the stripes were painted the complete hood and trunk lid were clear coated.

After saying all that,what is the safest product to start out with on the car? So far I have Revive Polish and Amaricana(plus detail spray and other items) What is everyones thoughts on what I should use. This would all be done by hand. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 55 degrees out and I NEED to bond with the new baby lol. Thanks everyone!

14 answers to this question

When I had my bumper repainted and recleared after a wreck, I was told I couldn't wax or polish it for 60 days to let the clear harden and set. I don't think you should wax or polish the newly cleared area for at least a month or two. But I'm interested to hear what the gurus have to say.

You can polish but do not wax or seal the paint for the first 30-60 days. The paint will continue to cure/gas out over that time and you don't want any products sitting on the surface.

I wouldn't bother polishing for that matter... you're going to leave the paint naked, with out protection, so any polishing work you do will be quickly erased by the fact that theres nothing keeping it safe.

I know its hard, but just refrain form detailing/waxing it... it drove me nuts for the first couple of weeks after I got my truck back from the bodyshop. In the long run its the best move.

You can polish but do not wax or seal the paint for the first 30-60 days. The paint will continue to cure/gas out over that time and you don't want any products sitting on the surface.

I wouldn't bother polishing for that matter... you're going to leave the paint naked, with out protection, so any polishing work you do will be quickly erased by the fact that theres nothing keeping it safe.

I know its hard, but just refrain form detailing/waxing it... it drove me nuts for the first couple of weeks after I got my truck back from the bodyshop. In the long run its the best move.

:iagree:

Us Camaro folks need some pics!

:iagree: If the car sets in the garage at least 60 days.:rockon:

John, car looks good! :thumbsup:

Can someone let me know what they think about this? I just had part of a bumper refinished, and the paint/body guy told me I could wash AND wax after 24 hours. The work he did was great, and he mostly only works on luxury vehicles, so I figured he knows what he's talking about. I noticed that he was using some sort of heat lamp on the areas of the cars he was working on. Does this help to speed up the curing process?

Since he said I could wash/wax after 24 hours, it was about 48 hours later that applied a little bit of wax. Then I saw this thread and got a little worried, so I went out and sprayed some APC on it to hopefully remove the wax I had just put down. Any need for concern? I'm now wondering if I should have messed with it, but I would think the paint guy would know best. What do you think?

Should I do something else to make sure the wax is removed?

Archived