Customer Service 866.965.0400

polishing a clear bra

Darth_Emma

Question

I know I know. Not her again and that sill clear bra on that dang Camaro!

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I thought it might be useful to start a new thread on this so it would show up under "search" for those looking for similar info.

I'll try to keep this short. I had a clear bra installed on my Camaro 2 weeks ago. The installer came to my house and put it on. The first go round, he had a bad piece of film (had a blemish in it), so he said he'd have to come back to replace the hood and front bumper pieces. I said "cool, thanks for making sure it's right." So, he came back last week and replaced the hood and bumper pieces.

As he was finishing up, I walked out to the garage to see how he was doing and he was using a not-so-clean towel to wipe off the liquid from the surface of the 3M film! Argh. He asked that I pull the car out into the sun so he could take a few pictures of it. In the sun, I could see some fine scratches on the hood piece of the 3M film. I said "there are swirl marks in it." He said, "Those aren't swirl marks. You only get swirl marks from a polishing machine." "Uh oh," I thought. He then said, "Those will disappear when it finishes drying in a couple of days."

Well, guess what? The scratches didn't disappear. The fine scratches aren't really bad and the clear bra installation is really quite good (no bubbles, etc.). But, I can see them in the sun.

I know, I should call him to do it over, but I don't want to hassle with that if the clear polish will fix the fine scratches. So, I ordered some Adam's Clear Polish this week. I'd rather try to correct the scratches before calling the guy again.

The reason I'm posting is to ask your advice as to the best way to use the Adam's Clear Polish. PC or by hand? Which pad?

If I can get the fine scratches fixed, I'll then put on a couple of coats of Americana.

Thanks for reading my story. I'd love your advice about applying the clear polish. :)

Are you sick of me and that dang car yet? I love you guys!

18 answers to this question

To be honest, it's got a few very minor scratches that I only see when it's out in bright sunshine and the light hits it just right (or wrong).

There are a few reasons that I haven't called the guy up to redo it.

1) He gave me a big discount to price match another vendor

2) The first time he applied the hood piece, it had a blemish in it and he already came out to replace that after 3M sent him new film

3) I think I'm going to have hood spears painted on the car this summer and that piece of film will have to come off then anyway

4) He's kind of grumpy

:) The only reason that really matters is #3. If anyone does know of a way to polish out these minor scratches, I'll do it, but otherwise, I'll live with them for now.

Scratches won't come out of them with the polish.

Mine is scratched to hell and is by no means perfect but it's better than a thousand chips on it. G8's are known for their crappy paint.

If I spend money on a product or service and I'm not 100% satisfied then I want it rectified ASAP.

Can't argue with that. But I suppose that is why we love Adam's products AND the Adam's service!

From what I understand about clear bras, a more aggressive measure might actually make the problem worse. I would definitely like to hear some feedback on this from those who have tried.

If peeps advise against the more aggressive treatment... I would dial up the guy and ask him to redo it. JMO

C

Well, I must say, the clear polish helped polish up the clear bra, but it didn't remove the fine scratches. I wonder if I need to use a little more elbow grease or the PC?

I don't think I would try anything more aggressive on a clear bra. So, I have 3 choices, live with it as is, try using the clear polish a bit more aggressively (maybe with the blue pad?), or call the clear bra guy to redo it.

I am reluctant to call him to redo it. Have you ever dealt with someone whose temperment you couldn't quite gauge?

Thanks for the information. My order from Adam's arrived this morning. I'll be using the clear polish this weekend and I'll keep you posted.

So how did it turn out? I am anxious to hear because I might want to try this down the road as well!

Excerpt from the Online Store regarding the Clear Polish:

Polishes and prevents yellowing and clouding!

Adam's Clear Polish is easy to use. Simply apply using and an Adam's Microfiber Applicator Pad, allow time to haze, then buff off with an Adam's Super Plush Microfiber Towel.

TIP: Do not use abrasive polishes on your clear bra. Your clear bra is soft and any product except a non-abrasive polish or wax will dull the finish. Once dulled or yellowed, the 3M paint film material cannot be repaired. Adam's Clear Polish contains no harmful abrasives or cleaners and effectively blocks the UV light that causes yellowing.

The polish is advertised to treat and protect, not specifically to remove any fine scratches. Your Clear Bra is a very soft material and will scratch if abused and not protected. I tried a test spot with a very fine polish on a small scratch and all it did was dull that small area, it added more fine scratches! The clear polish didn't seem to improve the area much. As you apply the material, with the appropriate microfiber applicator, you'll feel a bit of "bite" to it as it begins to dry, but not much. This tells me there is some abrasivness to it, but not much. And I'd only apply and remove the product by hand, not machine. If you saw him apply the film you saw how thin and pliable it was, it'd be very easy to burn that stuff with very little heat being generated!

The Clear Bra you've had installed to your Camaro is for protection, not perfection, if you realize this you'll feel much better about it. Your car will only have its original paint once, this bra is protecting that, and that's why I had one installed on my GTO. For perfection, it's periodic re-paints of the effected area.:)

No answer yet. My clear polish is due to arrive tomorrow. I figured I'd read the instruction on the label and hope to get an answer there. But, I'm with you. I was planning to start with the softest pad and work up, if necessary. I probably go from the blue MF pad (really soft), then if that doesn't get it, I'll try the blue pad that I have for the revive polish on a small area that is not too conspicuous to make sure I don't mess up the whole clear bra.

Did you ever get an answer or get it figure out? I would also like to know what is the best way to use the clear polish.

I guess, if I had to do it right now, I would probably start with a MF applicator, and then move up to the hex grip hand pads (or 4" spot pads by hand) and finally if nothing else worked move to the PC. This is just a lot of trial and error so I would love to hear from anyone that has polished PPF before.

Archived