Customer Service 866.965.0400

Whats new at Adams Polishes?

There is a reason for that... water based products are safe for rubber and trim. Silicone based products are not. Plus theres the issues of dust/dirt retention and sling.

Really its a trade off... you can have low gloss, low dirt gathering, no sling tire dressing (VRT) or you can have silicone based, greasy, dirty retaining, potentially slinging tire dressing.

Personally I'd rather apply a fresh coat after a rain or wash that have to scrub the sides of my truck to get dirt laden silicone goop off. :D

:iagree:

I don't like the overly glossy look anyways... I would rather apply the VRT weekly and know its not damaging my rubber and slinging crap all down the side of my car.. Black silicone spots are pretty noticeable on yellow :willy:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dylan I live in Seattle. Not so cal. Are you trying to cover your salary by selling me VRT? :lolsmack:

Now we all know nobody cares about the pacific northwest, so my post ignored your insignificant rainy area as it is of no consequence to me. :lolsmack:

In all honesty, if you find something you like that will stand up to rain and not contain silicone shoot me a PM so we can look into it and maybe try to come up with a similar product. Its not that we won't fill a gap when we see it, but we also don't compromise what we think is right in terms of how a product performs. Silicones turn rubber brown and if we can find a way to make a water based dressing not run in water we will.

There is a reason for that... water based products are safe for rubber and trim. Silicone based products are not. Plus theres the issues of dust/dirt retention and sling.

Really its a trade off... you can have low gloss, low dirt gathering, no sling tire dressing (VRT) or you can have silicone based, greasy, dirty retaining, potentially slinging tire dressing.

Personally I'd rather apply a fresh coat after a rain or wash that have to scrub the sides of my truck to get dirt laden silicone goop off. :D

I agree...

Now we all know nobody cares about the pacific northwest, so my post ignored your insignificant rainy area as it is of no consequence to me. :lolsmack:

In all honesty, if you find something you like that will stand up to rain and not contain silicone shoot me a PM so we can look into it and maybe try to come up with a similar product. Its not that we won't fill a gap when we see it, but we also don't compromise what we think is right in terms of how a product performs. Silicones turn rubber brown and if we can find a way to make a water based dressing not run in water we will.

I don't know of any products that work good so all my tires look bad all winter.:lol: I cannot stand silicon, which I think is about the only thing that will last. I find if VRT sits on trim or tires for a few days and 'soaks' in it dose last quite a bit longer. The only thing I can think of is using a trim restoring product like black wow.

I could always move to AZ/SoCal too.

I don't know of any products that work good so all my tires look bad all winter.:lol: I cannot stand silicon, which I think is about the only thing that will last. I find if VRT sits on trim or tires for a few days and 'soaks' in it dose last quite a bit longer. The only thing I can think of is using a trim restoring product like black wow.

I could always move to AZ/SoCal too.

I highly recommend option B :cheers:

I can personally speak on this. I have used AA for a longtime, two months ago I had a flat tire and took it to the shop to get it fixed. I was amazed when he told me that there was nothing in the tire and that he could not fix it and recommended that I not leave his property, reason you ask. DRY ROT, tires were 3 years old and had PLENTY of tread left. After he broke the old tires down you could actually see the spot where it was weak. He told me AA caused this, but I didn't believe him, just thought he was trying to sell me something, did a little research and he was right, Just glad they didn't blow out going down the interstate.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I've found on numerous vehicles that after multiple applications of VRT, the dressing actually absorbs into the tire rubber, and the result is having to re-apply less and less each time you dress your tires, even after a wash or rain. The very first thing I did to my G8 when I got it was VRT the tires once a day until the natural bland grey/brown of the tire was non existant. I haven't reapplied any VRT for about a week now and the tires are still pretty black, and we've had some rain.

Anything else that's oil-based, won't absorb - it will sit on top of the rubber and be slimy, collect dirt, and looks like your tires are covered in hair gel. The goal is to make the tires look naturally black, which is what VRT does.

I can personally speak on this. I have used AA for a longtime, two months ago I had a flat tire and took it to the shop to get it fixed. I was amazed when he told me that there was nothing in the tire and that he could not fix it and recommended that I not leave his property, reason you ask. DRY ROT, tires were 3 years old and had PLENTY of tread left. After he broke the old tires down you could actually see the spot where it was weak. He told me AA caused this, but I didn't believe him, just thought he was trying to sell me something, did a little research and he was right, Just glad they didn't blow out going down the interstate.

I can't see how Alcoholics Anonymous caused your tires to dry out...

Not to stray too far off topic, but I've found on numerous vehicles that after multiple applications of VRT, the dressing actually absorbs into the tire rubber, and the result is having to re-apply less and less each time you dress your tires, even after a wash or rain. The very first thing I did to my G8 when I got it was VRT the tires once a day until the natural bland grey/brown of the tire was non existant. I haven't reapplied any VRT for about a week now and the tires are still pretty black, and we've had some rain.

Anything else that's oil-based, won't absorb - it will sit on top of the rubber and be slimy, collect dirt, and looks like your tires are covered in hair gel. The goal is to make the tires look naturally black, which is what VRT does.

Good tip Gerry!:thumbsup:

I had this going on my mustang until I had an assortment of tire disasters (don't even get me started on shanks, nails, or screws) I will try and get them soaked again this summer. The days when we get get rain 8-10 days in a row send me back to square one though :loser:

I can't see how Alcoholics Anonymous caused your tires to dry out...

I've heard puke on tires dries the hell outta them. :lolsmack:

vrt will not absorb into hard plastics because they are not porous, so any water will wash the vrt much quicker than on your tires, which can result in streaky, runny lines. as far as altering the color of the plastic itself I've never heard of vrt doing that. the only thing i can think of is there is polish or wax residue on the plastic trim that the vrt was covering up, and after the vrt washed off, the residue showed up again and made the plastic appear white. Try a toothbrush and some all purpose cleaner to scrub the white part of the plastic, then rinse with water and see if it goes away.

What do you mean it turns white after it rains?

I think this due to VRT being a water base formula. For plastic black trim I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Can be found in boating supply stores. I find this works best for black plastic trim exposed to the regular world.

I think this due to VRT being a water base formula. For plastic black trim I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Can be found in boating supply stores. I find this works best for black plastic trim exposed to the regular world.

Really? I used that on our wave runner as we bought a gallon to use on the seats in the boat years ago and I find it to be almost identical to VRT only runny. I noticed that after our first voyage on the wave runner it was all washed off and there were run marks all over it.

Just my observation.

Chris

Really? I used that on our wave runner as we bought a gallon to use on the seats in the boat years ago and I find it to be almost identical to VRT only runny. I noticed that after our first voyage on the wave runner it was all washed off and there were run marks all over it.

Just my observation.

Chris

I put a light coat on my Vette black trim parts, in the garage, and let it cure overnight. I have found that does work well for me, although the car is garage kept. The VRT on my trim did turn white spotty when I did my normal washing, and the 303 has not done that. Boats, salt water probably is tough to maintain. Hope this is helpful.

Not knocking Adam's VRT, great product.

So you had the "white" faded trim?

Yes, not terrible, but I did notice the VRT on the black plastic trim developed whitesh spots, not real white, just blothcey (did I spell that right?). The 303 did help as I described.

Now, very white spots / streaks to me would indicate there is some sort of cleaner type wax product on the trim to begin with. I would suggest cleaning the trim with diluted APC to get a clean surface to begin with.

Just my observations. Thanks. Doug

Archived