Customer Service 866.965.0400

Fire and Ash Protection

3gInOc

Question

In the surrounding area there are tons of fires going on. I fortunately live in the city and am not directly affected by the fires. However all the ash and timbers are carried in the air and are settling every where. I do not have the option of parking my car in a garage. The biggest problem occurs once nightfall arrives. The increased moister in the air settles on the ash covered car. At this point the ash sort of turns into mud. Once that dries I'm really screwed. What can I do to protect the car. Washing it right now will do nothing. In an hour it will be covered again. I detail sprayed he whole care yesterday, so I'm hoping that will help. I think a screwed no matter what.

10 answers to this question

Moe what you want is a strong coat of sealant till the air clears - throw a coat of Buttery Wax on or swing by my house and I'll give you a coat of Machine SuperWax (since I know you don't have a PC yet.)

Brilliant Spray Glaze will also be a good temporary fix since it creates a frictionless coat on your paint (but it does not contain any sealant or wax protection properties.)

Moe what you want is a strong coat of sealant till the air clears - throw a coat of Buttery Wax on or swing by my house and I'll give you a coat of Machine SuperWax (since I know you don't have a PC yet.)

Brilliant Spray Glaze will also be a good temporary fix since it creates a frictionless coat on your paint (but it does not contain any sealant or wax protection properties.)

Doh, of course I do already have my car waxed, I meant that the brilliant spray glaze is a good added layer of protection as it may help keep the ash from staying on your paint, it may just slide off instead. I had a thick layer on mine and I drove around for a bit, and it all blew off.

I to have this problem. I ended up doing 1/4 mile runs down the major road by my house. Blew all the ash right off. When I got back I hit my truck with my lambs wool duster then DS. I did this last night.

This morning I had to do it again ( luckily no moisture overnight ) but 2nte I see this happening. I ended up laying on a heavy coat of Buttery Wax ( no PC also :( )

Hopefully it helps. The ash has subsided alot this evening. Here's what I woke up to.. Mt truck and the wifes car I just got done spending hours working on.

PS.. I am also 35+ miles west of the fires

I just picked up a portable garage (canopy) 10 x 20 for $99 off the internet. Total of $134 included s&h. That may help...

Here is a link: http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm?sku=257570000&catid=62

how sturdy is this. will it blow away in the wind? for the price it's a killer deal.

I bought one of these for the occasional rain shower at car shows. Doesn't cost a bundle and is disposable. Might be worth the small temporary investment for you.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=51000&dept_id=1350

I think this is my best option. the ash has subsided but there will be a next time. i hosed the car of yesterday and most of the ash came right off. i guess the best maintenance is preventative maintenance.

thanks for the help fellas. :bow:

how sturdy is this. will it blow away in the wind? for the price it's a killer deal.

Mine sits next to the house, so it is somewhat protected. The canvas has rip stop, but I'm guessing I'll get two to four winters out of it. Alum. poles, that have steel plates at the bottom to anchor it down.

I got it so I can detail under it and keep some snow off the truck during the winter. :thumbsup: