Customer Service 866.965.0400

What about dog hair?

EricJ

Question

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but not for me to own one. My in laws' '01 Chev dually is FILLED inside with dog hair. Enough to make another "Rita". I have one of those reversed masking tape rollers, but other than that I don't know what else to do.:help: I have the truck done (not perfect, but it's a "work" truck now and then), but want to finish that part especially so it will be known that I actually DID clean the truck. Literally as soon as I finished washing it and putting some protectant on it yesterday the rain came again for second day in a row.:willy:

The bed still has 1/3 load of mulch in it (was really fun to climb through that to wash the roof with a mitt. I'm going to have to find my wash brush from Pep Boys), so more or less I'm finished. The plus is they will be back from their journey soon, so I can get sleep in my bed finally.:xfingers:

15 answers to this question

I have 2 dogs one is white, the other is mostly white, and I have 2 BLACK interiors.. They love to ride, so who am I to deny them? I use a standard lint roller, or for a lot of hair Ill used the reverse duct tape/paint roller trick. Also a damp microfiber will pull a lot as well..

3M also makes a dog hair remover that's some special setup. You can buy them at your local grocery store. I heard the Pledge one suck.

I just use a really good vacuum with a beater bar attachment.

Chris

I'm interested because I have the same problem. I've got a Dalmation and two cars with black interiors. I've tried just about everything but the only thing that works well for me is the ol' scrub with the vacuum cleaner nozzle with extra elbow grease.

It covered the bottom of my 12 gallon Shop Vac it was so bad in there. I have to find my other filters for it yet. I have several of those cheapy blue "micro fiber" rags from Wmart/ wherever can't recall, so I'll try those between the seats.

There are these rubbery kinda sponge shaped things that work really well. Basically, they pull the hair out of the fibers and clump them all together so you can just pick up one big hair ball. No water or product, no glues or adhesives. My mom uses them on the couches in her house for cat hair, so I imagine you'll get teh same results.

The first thing I do is throw a blanket on the seat and back before the dog even gets near the car. That said, there is still a fair amount of hair transfer which I vacuum and use the animal hair roller (like the lint style, but stickier - I think) on the seats. Also, I put two inches of water in the shop vac to help keep the dust & hair from blowing around and clogging the filter as much. Just dump the water when done vacuuming.

Bruce

For the dog. Get a furminator shedding tool. http://furminator.com/ They are amazing. I have a shibi inu/german sherpard mix who sheds like mad. So much that the dog has never been in my car and there is still dog hair in it. This little product is a life saver and you can use it indoors.I have even used it on the carpets in the house. And the dog LOVES it.

As for the car; get a new, plastic, long-bristled toilet brush. It worked for me and they are cheap. After the vacuum I use the toilet brush. It loosens the dog hair and produces some static to get the hairs to stick to the brush.

I use a vacuum and elbow grease. My mom also has a seat cover that I believe she got from Orvis. You can take it in and out of the car in about two minutes and it protects the seats from fur. Here is a picture of the seat cover and the back of her car.

IMG00003-20091126-1254.jpg

here is after vacuuming and cleaning the interior. I also took the seat cover off.

DSC01659.jpg

and here are the monsters.

DSC01666.jpg

Scotch Fur Fighter... I have one and it works great!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDdF3sv-y1s?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDdF3sv-y1s?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Okay, I mist the carpets, etc, LIGHTLY with water, to help with static. I then use the handtool that looks like a rubber broom. Not too hard of work, and great results...

I'm getting ready to de-hair my SS, maybe I can remember to do a before and after!!! I have a Yellow Lab.

Archived