Customer Service 866.965.0400

Maintaining Adams Proffesional Wash Pads

mikeg6045

Question

I do not see any manufacturer suggested instructions anywhere on the site on how AdamsPolish's directs its users how to maintain this washpad.

I have seen a few different post on members different methods of washing the pad, which I do appreciate. But I'm looking for excact directions from Adamspolish's on what to do to clean the pads after using them. I have dirt buildup in my smaller pad that cleans the lower half of my car.

btw, i really like using these washpads. they never dry up while using them and hold a ton of water and work really good. I'm not looking for them to last forever, but I would like to get atleast 10 wash's out of them. With them rid of dirt each time I use em.

I know for sure on how I could go about getting them clean in a few different ways, but again, i'm looking for the manufacturers (Adams) instructions. As i'm always a "read the instructions carefully" type of person.

12 answers to this question

I am sure one of the Adam's rep's will have better info, either Dylan the Junkman or one of the others but here is how I take care of mine.

After I complete the wash and dry the car I usually empty my grit guard bucket and rinse it out as well as rinse the wash pad well with the hose. I refill the bucket and work the pad on the grit guard (both sides) to remove any dirt that did not come off when I rinsed it. I then rinse the pad again and let it dry. I can usually get a few washes out of it before I put it in the washing machine. I have had my two pads for some time and I have not had any issues.

Of course if I should drop it on the ground I normally get out a fresh pad to finish the job.

I am sure one of the Adam's rep's will have better info, either Dylan the Junkman or one of the others but here is how I take care of mine.

After I complete the wash and dry the car I usually empty my grit guard bucket and rinse it out as well as rinse the wash pad well with the hose. I refill the bucket and work the pad on the grit guard (both sides) to remove any dirt that did not come off when I rinsed it. I then rinse the pad again and let it dry. I can usually get a few washes out of it before I put it in the washing machine. I have had my two pads for some time and I have not had any issues.

Of course if I should drop it on the ground I normally get out a fresh pad to finish the job.

thanks for your insight, i'm doing pretty much the same thing with the grit gaurd and pad

Thats pretty much what I do, too. I have one going on 10 or more car washes and its never seen the washing machine... And still looks and feels nearly new.

The only thing that the wash pads should touch is PAINT. If you are washing the wheels, wheel wells, tires or undercarriage with them then you are basically destroying them. If you are washing nothing but paint, they should not ever get dirty enough to be of concern. Are you using them to wash more than just the paint?

The only thing that the wash pads should touch is PAINT. If you are washing the wheels, wheel wells, tires or undercarriage with them then you are basically destroying them. If you are washing nothing but paint, they should not ever get dirty enough to be of concern. Are you using them to wash more than just the paint?

Good point AJ, I failed to mention that. I always use a third bucket for with a different wash pad for those areas.

The only thing that the wash pads should touch is PAINT. If you are washing the wheels, whel wells, tires or undercarriage with them then you are basically destrying them. If you are washing nothing but paint, they should not ever get dirty enough to be of concern. Are you using them to wash more than just the paint?

no, just paint. I have 3 Adams washpads. One big one and 2 small ones. The big one is for the top half of the car, the small one goes down to the bottom of the doors., than the other small goes to the rocker panels and lower front and rear bumpers, and this is the one that gets somewhat dirty (more roadgrime staining than actual dirt) , even after pre-foaming and rinsing the car. The big pad is clean, but the 2 small ones collect some dirt.

I have a dedicated sheepskin wash mitt for my wheels, cause there black and clear coated, making swirls or cobwebbing very noticeable. then I have a dedicated tire/fender brush (from Adams), and dedicated Boars hair brush and ace powerstick for the rims, exhaust pipes, and front honeycomb grill (from Adams).

btw, I washed the 3 pads in the washermachine last night without adding any laundry detergent. The pads still had carwash soap in them though. And the pads became fairly matted up. Since the pads are relatively inexpensive, I will just use them about 8 times , then replace them without machine washing them. I think a good rubbing with the gritgaurd should do them justice. 8 wash's per pad is very acceptable. That will last me 2 months.

Thanks for the input guys.

They can be washed in the machine and air dried, but I discourage that as it greatly reduces the lifespan of the pad. Washing machines will beat them up pretty good. If you really MUST use the washing machine I would use the lowest heat setting or a cold wash as the synthetic fibers can be melted/damaged by excessive heat.

Generally the best method of cleaning will be to lay them out on the grit gaurd (out of the bucket) and blast them clean with a hard stream of water from the hose. Flip, repeat.

If you have excessively soiled areas on the pad using some APC and scrubbing the pad either against itself or the grit guard will help. After cleaning completely I always comb thru the fibers with my fingers in a few directions to ensure there is no larger contaminants (bug carcasses, small leaves, etc) lodged deep in the pad. If there is I repeat my cleaning process to get them out.

Dryed by setting back into the empty bucket with the grit guard underneath to give sufficient air flow.

Hmmm..I've washed mine in the machine every time. I put it on handwash setting and cold/cold though...hmm...

Well I just landed a new career, so I'm gonna be placing a huge order soon enough and some more washpads are coming anyways, so I guess I will be changing my wash tactics for the new ones and keep this old one for bad areas not on the paint.

No wonder swirls are starting to come back! :willy::willy::willy:

The only thing that the wash pads should touch is PAINT. If you are washing the wheels, whel wells, tires or undercarriage with them then you are basically destrying them. If you are washing nothing but paint, they should not ever get dirty enough to be of concern. Are you using them to wash more than just the paint?

:iagree: I use my old x brand mitts for wheels and wells!

The only thing that the wash pads should touch is PAINT. If you are washing the wheels, wheel wells, tires or undercarriage with them then you are basically destroying them.

What about cloth? I've been using my pads on the cloth convertible roof, glass and the paint. I have separate brushes for wheels and undercarriage. I'm wondering if the roof's cloth is either rough enough to cause pad damage the might hurt the paint or pick up fibers off it that will then scratch.

Archived