Customer Service 866.965.0400

Very very very fine swirls and tiny holes

8rad

Question

Hey I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to remove very very very fine swirls and very very small pin head holes (looks like someone took a very fine pin and tapped my hood a billion times.

Ive only done the my hood and bumper, I can only see the problems on the sections I did, the rest of my paint does not have this problem because I have not touched it with a pc yet.

I took a pic, its just a cell pic, sorry.

fsm.png

You also cant see the fine pin hole marks to, in this pic.

I'm going to be attempting to repair this soon after I get some info, I'm going to buy proper lighting and get some better pics and make a video of my pc technique to show you guys.

My hood is crazy shiney now, but I want it perfect, I can only see the issues when I get up close and under the right light.

If you need anymore info on the steps I took please let me know.

I washed the car with dawn and clayed it first before I pc with orange(SWH@5000) white(FMP5000)

I think maybe I was pressing to hard on the pc and it caused the very very fine swirls, I'm going to try just letting the weight of the pc do the work next time, using white(FMP@5000), Would that maybe work?

How do I remove the very very small pin head holes, they r not deep, (looks like someone took a very fine pin and tapped my hood a billion times). I have no idea on how to remove this...

If you look at my hood in this pic it looks flawless, but its not...

imagejpeg2bt.jpg

20 answers to this question

Hey guys, I clayed my car 2 days ago using adams clay and detail spray.

I think I had way to much product on my hood and I was seeing the fine swirls in the leftover swh, fmp and wax.

I didnt put nothing on my car after I clayed, still havent, to be honest I like the finish and look of a freshly clay bared car with no swirls.

I say my paint is probly 82.673% corrected now. I have almost no swirls now and just very fine scratches in some spots, but you can not notice them unless your under a good light source. mite grab some 4" pads to try to get them out, im kinda scared to wetsand, i dont have a paint thickness gauge.

The hood still has the tiny holes though, I dunno I still have to look at it under a good light.

You guys think im a adams product hater but I'm not, I luv lots of the products I got from adams and tell people to use it.

Dylan - I used m tech wax paste, m gold class wax paste, m claybar kit, m steps 1&2 before, none is on my car right now.

Chris - I'm by Burlington, Ontario. I dunno if anyone is even good out here??

:pc:

Yes... I'm not sure when AJ said 4000 but I like to stay at 5000-6000 for correcting. Adam uses 6000 for correcting so keep that in mind as well. I believe AJ calls his the "slow cut" method. AJ takes weeks maybe even months to correct so keep that in mind. Adam shows the way a professional would do it because he is/was one for years. Adams will offer a faster cut. Both work.

Chris

Why 4000opm? Thats too slow to work product appropriately... you'll likely see the product dry out before it 'flashes' over.

I was watching the junkman vid and he use his at 4000-5000 most of the time.

Should I go 5000??

Thing is my paint is like almost perfect, dont wanna go to crazy.

I'd grab a magnifying lens and look a bit closer at them. They may not be fixable.

Chris

true, good idea, will do

thanks

So is the "pitting" gone?

not yet, havent tried to remove that yet. when I do i'm gonna tape a 2x2 square off and work a area to see if I can get them off. I'm gonna do these steps to it....

-orange pad (SHR) @4000 I'm gonna work the 2x2 area untill the product goes clear, then spray the pad to re-activate the product and do couple more passes untill the product clears again. I'm not gonna apply alot of pressure since I have the swirls gone, just the weight of my hand and machine to flatten the pad out.

the pitting or fine pin holes are not very deep, u cant feel them, u can only see them under bright lights and up close about 1 foot. You cannot see any imperfections in my paint in direct sunlight.

I think maybe the pin holes are caused by dirt and bugs, I hit alot of bugs in a day, I live in the country. Ive even hit alot of birds. I dunno maybe the birds think im a shiny white cloud or something lol. I got the bird marks out though, they scuffed up my bumper

Sounds like you're getting a grasp on it... Takes time and patience for sure.

Those imperfections may have been there but hidden before. Hard to tell.

Chris

OMG....as the pict came up, the asphault was showing first and I thought that was the surface of your car!! I was thinking "Adam doesn't have a product for that!!!"

Nevermind.......................:lolsmack:

heres a pic I took yesterday at the car wash, all i did was rinse my car with water and dried it. No wax or nothing, just claybar

Its just a cellphone pic, need to get a new slr cam soon

0711001902.jpg

The paint is not fresh, its about 3 years old and its the new water based paint from honda.

That type of paint really plays no role in the diagnosis, all of the Pontiac G8's, the new Camaro, and lots of other vehicles have gone to water based 'eco friendly' paints and as you can tell we have a good number of those around here who all get their paint polished out no problem.

There has to be something else here we're missing... were you using a product previously with heavy fillers?

Hey my car was not ever really dirty before I clayed, I usually clay 2 times a year cus my car is white and shows gold spots sometimes from road tar.

The paint is not fresh, its about 3 years old and its the new water based paint from honda.

Doug I have a line ect on my pc, I watched the junkman vids to see how fast the line is spinning.

I dont have a hard time removing washing swirls and fine scratches ect. its just the ultra super fine swirls caused from polishing that I cant remove. they are hardly visible to the naked eye, you need to be under a bright light and looking close.

I still have not tried to remove them again, i will try soon.

heres a pic of my pc rich..

0507001050.jpg

As far as pressure goes, you can press enough so that the pad is rotatating slowly while you are working, approx1 rotation per second. Make a mark on your backing plate with a marker (silver sharpie marker for black plate, black for a yellow plate) and try that again. And don't use too much product. (if the grooves are filling up, the pad is not working as well as it can)

Did the clay get very dirty when you clayed the finish? How did it feel after claying (with the baggie)?

Is this fresh paint? You can literally heat the paint and cause it to off gas which causes clear popping to occur. It looks just as you describe. Little holes...

As for the scratches... Looks like FMP and the white pad needs to be used more. I can usually get it darn near or perfect before FMP and then FMP just makes it POP.

It takes time... Lots of time...

Chris

How much pressure was you using with your pc?

You should use 9-14 pounds pressure.Test yourself on a bathroom scale.

The white pad & FMP should remove any fine swirls and scratches that were left from Orange pad & SHR.

The tiny holes had to be there before, is that correct?If they are not too deep, they will have to be wet sanded by a professional.

Watch the video's , maybe you can pick up on something you are missing!

Thanks, No the tiny holes where not there before, just on spots I PC. :glasses:

Ive watched all the adams videos prob 10 times now lol, i now have a scale so I'm gonna try. I'm aware the pc only weighs like 10pds so I dont really even need to apply pressure.

How much pressure was you using with your pc?

You should use 9-14 pounds pressure.Test yourself on a bathroom scale.

The white pad & FMP should remove any fine swirls and scratches that were left from Orange pad & SHR.

The tiny holes had to be there before, is that correct?If they are not too deep, they will have to be wet sanded by a professional.

Watch the video's , maybe you can pick up on something you are missing!

Archived