Customer Service 866.965.0400
Focus_Red

Ceramic Wheel Coating Before or After Mounting Tires

Question

I've got a new set of wheels inbound and was trying to think if I should apply the Ceramic Coating on them before or after mounting tires. My first thought is that it may be best to do it before to help protect them from the tire mounting process but I wanted to get opinions (perhaps even from an Adam's rep)

9 answers to this question

Wheel might be easier to manage with the tire off. Plus it will be more scratch resistant during mounting. If you do the barrels, don't do the area where stick on weights will go.

You can always add a little extra protection prior to mounting

0A9EB8CD-E5EF-4740-AA9D-127F75F8631B_zps

I would say if you have the option to clean and ceramic coat them prior to having tires mounted, then I would at least coat the front face of the wheel up and over the rim edge to have some protection on there from the mounting machines. I had one of my old Regal G.S. wheels scratched up pretty bad at the edge even with a 'very safe' mounting machine, and it was a bummer. 

Having the wheel coated should make cleaning up the grease/soap that they use during mounting more easy as well. I would be hesitant to coat the inner barrel until after tires are mounted though, since they will need to apply wheel weights. If you want to do the job all at once, then I would just wait until after the tires are mounted.

I like Brian's idea of taping off the wheel like that too for mounting, why didn't I ever think of that? Brilliant!

Thank you all for the thoughts. I'm definitely going to coat the face of the wheel up and over the edge to protect against scratches from mounting and to make the clean up a breeze. But it's a great point to not coat the barrel so they can apply the weights. And to warn the installers haha

Edited by Focus_Red

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want to coat the barrels before the weights are installed. I would want the coating on all exterior surfaces prior to mounting the tire and it is balanced. It's not like the wheel weights won't stick to the coated wheel. The adhesive is strong.

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want to coat the barrels before the weights are installed. I would want the coating on all exterior surfaces prior to mounting the tire and it is balanced. It's not like the wheel weights won't stick to the coated wheel. The adhesive is strong.

And if they fell off, you can always put them back on lol

Unfortunately, it may not work out that way. One user, "Kowsrt" (not sure if he's active on here, but he is sponsored by Adam's - you can check his Instagram) had coated his aftermarket wheels and then had those wheels balanced and mounted. The weights came off a few days later and did a number to the barrels of his wheels. He ordered paint to clean them up.

When I got my new wheels, I used painters tape on a portion of the barrel that is probably 3" x 8", just to leave enough space covered for the mechanic to remove the tape and glue on the weights to the barrels. 

Sure, it was a bummer for Kowsrt, but as he said, a true testament to just how strong this coating is. Good luck!

Old thread but hoping there was some new info on success or failure of coating before tires are mounted and wheel weights?

Dealer is replacing my Chrome rims under warranty are they are letting me pick them up today so I can coat them and then going to mount them for me next week.

I was wondering if clay-barring the inner barrels or using Adams paint correcting polish by hand just to break the glaze would have any benefit.

Rich