Customer Service 866.965.0400

Boars Hair Brush smells horrible, making me gag

Kingsford

Question

I got my Boars Hair Brush last weekend and used it for the first time today with the Green Wheel Cleaner. After I was done washing and what not I went down stairs and started to clean my brushes, pads, and applicators. I sprayed them down with APC and hand washed them like normal.

While I was cleaning I started to smell something, it literally smelt like a dead animal. So I stopped washing and started looking around, behind the washer, under the sink, etc... expecting to find a dead mouse or some type of creature that had been rotting away for awhile. Didnt find anything.

So I went out and got some febreze to get rid of the smell. I came back and after being the basement being closed up for 1 hour the smell was over whelming and it was to the point I started to gag.

I started sniffing around and the smell brought me right back to the sink. So I started smelling my Applicators and Brushes. I put my nose right inside the Boar Hair Brush and took a deep smell.... Thought I was going to throw up..... I've smelt some bad stuff before (burnt bodies for one) and never thought I was going to throw up with that stuff.

Did I ruin the brush some how?

Why does it smell so bad?

Is there something I can do to clean it or keep it from smelling so horrid?

SOOOOOOO.... it was dry, still smelled so I decided to give up and put it in the garage. Went in the house for awhile and came back out to leave and it was COVERED in Flys :lol:

The solution that worked for me.... Shampoo and Conditioner. YEP! I took a shower with it! I figured, hey its hair and I'm just using it on my wheels.

Smells like Green Apples now :thumbsup:

:lolsmack:

jason...you RE A COMPLETE Boar....:lolsmack:

GREAT IDEA!!! :cheers:

SOOOOOOO.... it was dry, still smelled so I decided to give up and put it in the garage. Went in the house for awhile and came back out to leave and it was COVERED in Flys :lol:

The solution that worked for me.... Shampoo and Conditioner. YEP! I took a shower with it! I figured, hey its hair and I'm just using it on my wheels.

So I cleaned it really good last night before I went to bed and put it outside on a table to let it dry in the sun in the morning. I went out this morning after it had been drying for a hour or 2 in the sun. Still smelt, not as bad but it was completely dry.

I had a problem in which I did not even use mine yet and it S-M-E-L-L-E-D!

I washed it with APC, rinsed, and sat in the garage with a fan nearby. Still smelled. Then I washed it with a different cleaner, rinsed, and let it sit outside in the sun for a day. Most of the stink went but a little was still there.

In the meantime, I emailed Ashley about it and they sent me a new one and I returned the old one. The new one still smells. a little, but not nearly as bad as the first.

I would liken the rancid foul odor to Dan Lawson's (Lawson 4450)socks on a HOT SUMMER day, NOT that I know what they smell like, I'm just guessing!

Steve

So I cleaned it really good last night before I went to bed and put it outside on a table to let it dry in the sun in the morning. I went out this morning after it had been drying for a hour or 2 in the sun. Still smelt, not as bad but it was completely dry.

i apc/hose mine as soon as I finish cleaning my wheels, then shake it out and leave it in the sun. by the time i finish washing the rest of the car, the brush is dry and odor-free

Exactly what I do when washing the car. It sits outside for probably an hour or more after I finish using it.

Hmmm, that's interesting! Never had ours smell, but we always let them air dry in the garage, or shop. I would say allowing to dry in a well ventilated area before bringing a wet animal hair product indoors is a strong plan. :thumbsup:

Archived