Customer Service 866.965.0400

Top Gear USA Nov 21st.

whiterp199

Unfortunately, from what I have read, it is not even close. You can't away with those snarky comments without the British accent!

I would agree but at least we will get to see a bunch of awesome cars on TV. Warm up the torrent down loader though, the next season of the real Top Gear is supposed to come out around the first of the year.

I don't know about this show. I really don't think anything can come close to the British version. I know a little about Tanner, but who the heck are the other guys? I guess we'll see in November if it's worth watching.

I made this a calendar event yesterday afternoon... It'll come up two days prior so I can set the DVR to record.

IMO it'll only suck if you hold your expectations to the level of the original. They've been doing it for several years now with the newer format so it's not fair to judge quite yet. Get on Youtube and search topgear and you'll see the original series from the '80s and 90's. It's NOTHING like the current one. We're also going to see more cars WE know and see on the roads here which will be nice, but may be less entertaining because it's not something different. The other two guys seem pretty good IMO. Honestly, I didn't know who James, Richard or Jeremy were before TGB so what's the problem not knowing these guys?

I think it'll be good. Just give it a chance and keep an open mind. Watching it just once isn't a fair shake down. It's like going to a restaurant the first day they open and complaining about the service and such...

Chris

I'm skeptical but will watch and try to give it a fair shake. Outside of Tanner Faust who the heck are the other guys?? At least with the BBC version Clarkson, May, and Hammond are "somebodies" outside of the show... I have no idea who the other 2 guys are.

I know the guy with beard is on Speed. He does some stuff for their Nascar shows. Honestly, I don't know his name. The only reason I know who Tanner Faust is because he did show on Speed last year. I think it was called Super Cars Exposed.

I'll be intrested in the show.

I have a few comments. If you are going into it with the attitude it won't be as good as the original then don't even watch it. You won't like it.

Secondly the original was pretty awful for the first season or two, and the last two season have kind of sucked as well. It's sort of jumped the shark. I've seen every episode and it peaked around season seven.

Lastly I personally know two people who went to a taping of American Top Gear and they said the show looks very good and is very promising. So keep your fingers crossed.

Lastly I personally know two people who went to a taping of American Top Gear and they said the show looks very good and is very promising. So keep your fingers crossed.

AUTOBLOG said the same thing... Chemistry takes time... :thumbsup:

I guess we'll see in November if it's worth watching.

I will give a chance (need to log on to DirecTv and set my DVR before I forget!).

I tried to get tickets to the BBC version over the summer, but I could never get the ticket distribution website to send the activation request (maybe they know me!). Anyway the episode I would have seen taped aired this past Monday. (Only reason I know was they were complaining that are that all their viewers were watching the World Cup in the previous episode.)

MEH! The original Top Gear is comedy with cars thrown in and like most British comedy it won't translate well into American. Coupling, for example, is one show that comes to mind.

(Rant on.)

What does it say about the American TV industry that we Americans couldn't come up with our own car/comedy show? There are about 60 million cars and 195 million drivers in America. NASCAR, NHRA, IHRA, INDY CAR, ARCA, hot rodding, etc are very popular but no car show to appeal to the masses? HHHMMMPH....:mad:....instead we are allowed to franchise a successful overseas show.

(Rant over, back to the office.)

I like Tanner on the Super Car challenge show he does on Speed TV with Paul Tracy, so I will definitely give this a shot.

I don't expect it to be like the BBC version, but any decent show about cars beats most other programming anyway, so I say bring it on.

so its got a guy from rescue me, tanner foust, and some redhead chubster that cant drive...great...

if it had jay leno and adam corrola on there it might be better, but nothing can be the crazy brits. i hope they dont copy the stig idea or imma be pissed.

From the trailing I'd say it looks promising. Great camera angles, really good editing, and they're not afraid to get the cars dirty. It won't be the same, sure, but it won't be no lame MotorWeek, either. I say give it a chance. :2thumbs:

Motorweek is lame because it's errr... uhhh... made in Maryland... :lolsmack:

lol

I plan on watching even thought I think it's going to be a dud.

(Rant on)

I have hopes they won't do what all the other car shows in the US do: play @#$%^& guitar music over the sound of the cars they are testing, that or they jabber on. :mad: I don't care if it's Spike, Speed or PBS, they all do it. I love the original Top Gear because I can HEAR the vehicle's motor.

Note to American TV producers: look at the size of the aftermarket exhaust market in the US...do you think we want to hear some no-name musician or worse some fat balding old dude prattling on and on and on....NO!:mad:

(Rant off.)

I also hope that whenever the US version tests a vehicle of British origin it is on a rainy or snowy day and when they test US vehicles make sure the track is dry and the sun shining. :patriot::thumbsup:

Archived