Customer Service 866.965.0400

concentrated claybar lube

Not to jump in but this is a pointless argument you two. You both refer to the same thing by calling it a different name. :cheers:

Was just clarifying my confusion to why I thought that he thought a 16oz Bottle cost $40.

I still stand by my thoughts on this. $12 is not expensive for a bottle of DS which serves multiple purposes. I'd rather buy a multipurpose product for $12 rather than 3 different products for $36 total. I mean thats like making two different WW's one for Door Jams and one for Exterior Paint.

While you'd think so we went thru this in our APC reformulation. We shipped concentrate with specific directions to some random customers.... half of them mixed it right... the other half either mixed with tap or didn't know where to get distilled water from. I know... scary... but these people exist, they walk among us!! :willy:

I have to use distilled water for my frogs....but that's about it. I like the DS. Add more products just makes my bag that much heavier! :willy:

I use the Adams shampoo and I'm real happy with it's lube properties for my clay bar needs.

you haven't found it to be too slippery to allow the clay pick up contaminants?

I ask only because the suds which the car wash shampoo creates are suppose to keep dirt from scrathin the paint during washing (and do a great job!).... sorta trapping them in the baubles/suds. though I have never tried it using a spray bottle hmmm.

I will admit after reading this entire thread several times i did an experiment myself using a 75/25 mix of DS/distilled water & it worked pretty well.... I doubt i would dilute it more then 50/50 though.The reason I could see a difference in the clay on the same , sectioned test panel, just by diluting the DS by 25% .

To each his own as there is no one true way of doing it :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good conversation, and one that I enjoy watching/ reading. My perspective on detailing is, and has always been sourcing or making the best solution/ product, regardless of cost, to achieve the best results in the least time.

When we detailed for Coca-Cola, we went from $11 in chemical/ vehicle detail to $29, and were able to reduce the amount of time/ detail dramatically. We could accomplish more details/ day, and the guys didn't get worn out! (We also saved money when we hired guys for double, who were 3X as effective at their work.)

I am a process and results oriented person. The costs associated with making products, improving labels, bottles, systems, videos, towels, etc, could alway be reduced.

Instead, we spend more. More on the new high resolution labels. More on the advanced chemistry. More on heavier bottles, and more on better towels. We pay our sales and fulfillment team members more than anyone in the industry, and at the end of the day, our net profit is probably lower than our competitors.

Still, in my world, I find the best product for a task, one that works easily, effectively, and provides remarkable results. Once we know it's best, it's introduced to our product line.

As a detailer for 30 of my 40 years, I've always benefitted from using the best product/ process to accomplish a shine, shampoo, etc. Seems in the long run, saving money would help us put more cash in our pockets.

I think our customers would notice if we started cutting corners, downgrading our labels, chemicals, bottles, and processes, and we would get called out on it! Our customers don't look to us for cheap products. You look to us for the best products backed by the best service in the industry, backed by a 110% unconditional guarantee. Is that worth anything? I'd say that some of our 36,000 loyal customers believe so.

Our controller shakes her head at me on a daily business. "Adam, the blankety-blanks we are getting now are fine, why change?" Answer: Because there is a better product/raw material/ process, and our customers buy from us knowing we have done our homework, and are only providing the best product, and suggesting it's use in the most effective process.

:patriot:

And that ladies and gentlemen its what is known as a Successful Business Model. I have watched the owner I work for destroy his business from the inside, a businesses I know first hand was doing very well. He lost sight of one major thing Customer Service, and that has killed his business. Once the rescission hit and he was forced to close one of his 3 stores while other owners in surrounding markets flourished. I commend Adam for putting his customers, products, and above all else his employees, above the norm in our society of profit for me. People and insite like this is what built this great nation. These are core principals we need to return too, not the current corporate agenda of profit and greed over our fellow man. Somewhere we last our compassion for our neighbors, our own internal fortitude and strength to overcome. Society is designed now more than ever to hold out there hands for help instead to offer it to someone else. So I will pay more for Adam's products, but I'm not just buying a product our even a service I'm buying an ideal, and a notion that there is a better way.

:: exit soapbox::

This is why we have sales people, business people, and controllers/accountants. They all have they're specified job and all excel in them. One thing you never do is let an accountant/banker or a lawyer run your business. It's a sure way to fail. The business man takes all the info from the people listed above and then makes their decision. Sounds to me like Adam is doing just that.

6 sigma is a great way to remove waste from the work place. I realize your relatively small but it's never a bad time to start.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Adam, good post.

I certainly agree with what you're saying. The reason I am now a loyal Adam's customer is the quality of the product and the customer service. If I wanted a cheaper alternative, I could go to Walmart.

My solution to the used up bottle of detail spray was to jump on that gallon + 16oz + 4oz + microfiber deal a week ago. Problem solved!

:iagree:

What he said but.... I think it just costs so much to ship a gallon of water i can buy at Kroger for 85 cents. I've loved Adams products since trying them but balked at the cost. I searched for similar products from different vendors but have found that I'm back to Adams for their top quality products and SERVICE.

That being said I'd love to have a jug of concentrated product shipped to me in an empty jug ,then add my own distilled water. That way there would be more money for product and less going to FED EX!!

I'm actually glad this topic came up...I'll add my response to b_pappy as I have mixed 1:1 DS with H2O in a larger adjustable sprayer and marked the bottle "Clay Lube". At 50%, it still seems plenty slick for claying. I'll copy this post to the concurrent thread for the person looking for an adjustable DS sprayer!

- Darryl

This is a good conversation, and one that I enjoy watching/ reading. My perspective on detailing is, and has always been sourcing or making the best solution/ product, regardless of cost, to achieve the best results in the least time.

When we detailed for Coca-Cola, we went from $11 in chemical/ vehicle detail to $29, and were able to reduce the amount of time/ detail dramatically. We could accomplish more details/ day, and the guys didn't get worn out! (We also saved money when we hired guys for double, who were 3X as effective at their work.)

I am a process and results oriented person. The costs associated with making products, improving labels, bottles, systems, videos, towels, etc, could alway be reduced.

Instead, we spend more. More on the new high resolution labels. More on the advanced chemistry. More on heavier bottles, and more on better towels. We pay our sales and fulfillment team members more than anyone in the industry, and at the end of the day, our net profit is probably lower than our competitors.

Still, in my world, I find the best product for a task, one that works easily, effectively, and provides remarkable results. Once we know it's best, it's introduced to our product line.

As a detailer for 30 of my 40 years, I've always benefitted from using the best product/ process to accomplish a shine, shampoo, etc. Seems in the long run, saving money would help us put more cash in our pockets.

I think our customers would notice if we started cutting corners, downgrading our labels, chemicals, bottles, and processes, and we would get called out on it! Our customers don't look to us for cheap products. You look to us for the best products backed by the best service in the industry, backed by a 110% unconditional guarantee. Is that worth anything? I'd say that some of our 36,000 loyal customers believe so.

Our controller shakes her head at me on a daily business. "Adam, the blankety-blanks we are getting now are fine, why change?" Answer: Because there is a better product/raw material/ process, and our customers buy from us knowing we have done our homework, and are only providing the best product, and suggesting it's use in the most effective process.

:patriot:

I think that is great Adam. And after being a customer of many other companys and experiencing there customer service and tatty products claimed to be superior, I honestly believe everything you have just stated in your post.

Which is why I have a shelf in my closet of Adams products only, along with all the other products I use. Many of your products have a mainstay in my arsenal. and I really enjoy them. even some of the newer stuff like the Waterless wash. Even with the claims of superior products by large manufacturers, I still run into some watered down bargain products for expensive prices. Which again reinforces the fact that these company are making giant profits imo. I dont get this feeling with your products and hospitality. Thank you for that and your honesty and involving yourself with us in the forum.

With all due respect, I still think I made a good/decent suggestion in this thread. I dont think a product like this is necessary to be using as a claybar lube. There are many things that can be left out , like the gloss enhancers (i'm no chemist) and whatever else is in the DS to make it such a nice looking and feeling product. I would imagine that these chemicals cost a lot of money and are high quality like you stated.

But at the same time, If I really think about it, how many of your customers (us) are claying cars, and how often. Like Dylan said, this is an enthusiast forum and business model that you guys run. Is there really a need for a separate product when your customers are claying once or twice a year ? well, probably not.

So being open minded, I can understand both sides of the debate here (not sure this is considered a debate).

But hey , this is a forum, and forums are for suggestions, So i made one. Atleast he topic made 4 pages and maybe someone got something out of it. :)

Archived