Customer Service 866.965.0400

OBD Readers

DieselDude

Just ordered a Bluetooth OBD2 transmitter to hook my phone via Torque to my Genesis. You can also use a laptop. It will pull codes but also provide live driving statistics. Hard to say much more until I have it. But it looks more interesting than just a code puller and costs less ($35 hardware/$5 software)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I use HPTuners, but I realize a full tuning suite is not what most are looking for. If you are interested though it's pretty nice if you have a GM vehicle, not so much for other makes.

There are several smart phone apps out now that can do this as well as various scan gauges and such.

I am a professional tech and I just love the one I have by Matco tools. just plug in, turn key on and read. Gives you the code, the description and sensor data if you want. Part#: MC200 Price: $74.95

I have one of these as well. I love it. It is inexpensive and while it does not always give as much information as the more expensive scanners you can just type the code into Google and usually get a lot of info on what is wrong or how to fix the problem.

Tom, which one did you order?

ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 EOBD CAN-BUS Code Scanner

Seems to be the most commonly one used. I figure for ~$40 what the hell. It may have some fitment issues in the Genesis due to the position of the harness (stick out a bit). I also seriously looked at PLX Devices as they provide additional sensors and gauges that can be chained to their device. But at twice the price, I figured I'd play around a bit with the cheaper version first. If I decide to upgrade, it will get tossed in my toolbox for other cars.

-Tom

I think your decision is going to come down largely on what all you want it to do. I've seen some that are merely readers, others that read and clear, and others that are more robust and provide more than just the code (have a built in code index so you don't have to look up what an error code means)

Heres one thats popped up recently a lot of places that seems to be pretty well rounded for what it is.

http://www.carmd.com/

I have one of these as well. I love it. It is inexpensive and while it does not always give as much information as the more expensive scanners you can just type the code into Google and usually get a lot of info on what is wrong or how to fix the problem.

I find myself hardly ever using my Snap On solus. I grab the Matco then go to my Motor/Alldata system For code charts ect.:thumbsup:

Archived