Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scared to Death of Swirls

musclejunkie

:drool:Been using some Adam's products for a few months now and watched all the videos from Adam and the Junkman. Call me sick, but I find them very entertaining as well as educational. I have watched them over and over. I know.... get a life!

:confused:One thing that's eating at me is the debate whether to use a PC on my new car OR do the "safer than safe" hand method of paint correction. My car as I have said before is pretty pristine with only very few minor microscopic scratches and no swirls that I can see. I am obsessed with keeping a swirl and haze-free finish, but I know it's only a matter of time. If you drive it and wash it and dry it, no matter how careful, those nasty swirls and haze will arrive sooner or later.

:(The PC machine polishing videos have me perplexed and troubled to some degree. I have never seen a car in real life that has been touched with a machine polisher that doesn't have swirls and hazing galore. Are you guys THAT good or am I missing something? My dillemma is do I risk screwing up a great paint job with swirls and hazing on a new car finish with a PC or do I stick to the safe route and do it by hand?

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas here. I know Adam's products are superb, it's "me" the product applier, that I have some doubt in. Maybe Junkman could come over and do some PC basic training drills with me to boost my confidence.:lolsmack:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're just THAT good... lol

Honestly... Adams system is THAT good. :thumbsup:

I'd never corrected a car before I did my G8 and it came out great!

You can't correct a swirled paint job by hand. It'd take you half a lifetime and it still wouldn't be as nice as a PC or Flex job.

Adding swirls with a PC is nearly impossible. You'd have to be smarter or dumber (not sure which one) than I am to do it. lol

Correcting the paint is a LONG tedious job and not IMO as easy as it looks on the videos. Like anything, you'll get better at it as time goes by and figure out some time saving tips as well.

Chris

The PC is as safe is Junkman says, the only way you will make your paint worse is if you grab the PC by the cord and swing it at your car.

My first time using a PC was on my Black Corvette. When I was doing it there were some spots that were close to perfect. I still went over those spots with FMP and it fixed any issues.

I also have a friend who has an 96 Corvette GS that has the most perfect paint I have ever seen. He took FMP to his car with no fears.

My only suggestion since your paint is near swirl free is to only use FMP. If you use SHR you will put micro swirls in the paint. Then you will have to go over it with FMP to get them out.

If you still have fears, just do a little test area. You won't be disappointed.

The best route to go is to practice on another vehicle (if you have one). This will one: get you use to using adams products; two: allow you to get your technique down to the point in which you are proficient; three: instill confidence that you wont damage your paint. Once you get over that initial hump, you wont be second guessing yourself on whether your pc will do more harm than good. And as mentioned before, always use the least aggressive method first.

Hope this helps you in your decision making...

:drool:Been using some Adam's products for a few months now and watched all the videos from Adam and the Junkman. Call me sick, but I find them very entertaining as well as educational. I have watched them over and over. I know.... get a life!

:confused:One thing that's eating at me is the debate whether to use a PC on my new car OR do the "safer than safe" hand method of paint correction. My car as I have said before is pretty pristine with only very few minor microscopic scratches and no swirls that I can see. I am obsessed with keeping a swirl and haze-free finish, but I know it's only a matter of time. If you drive it and wash it and dry it, no matter how careful, those nasty swirls and haze will arrive sooner or later.

:(The PC machine polishing videos have me perplexed and troubled to some degree. I have never seen a car in real life that has been touched with a machine polisher that doesn't have swirls and hazing galore. Are you guys THAT good or am I missing something? My dillemma is do I risk screwing up a great paint job with swirls and hazing on a new car finish with a PC or do I stick to the safe route and do it by hand?

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas here. I know Adam's products are superb, it's "me" the product applier, that I have some doubt in. Maybe Junkman could come over and do some PC basic training drills with me to boost my confidence.:lolsmack:

I was a little worried at first but the first time you do it and it comes out great you will be hooked. Their is no better way!!!:burnout:

Sounds to me that you are thinking of a rotary polisher, not a PC.

As the others have suggested, start with the least aggressive method. Maybe the Revive hand polish will get the finish in the condition you want it. If that doesn't work, move up the the Fine Machine Polish.

The PC is as safe is Junkman says, the only way you will make your paint worse is if you grab the PC by the cord and swing it at your car.

My first time using a PC was on my Black Corvette. When I was doing it there were some spots that were close to perfect. I still went over those spots with FMP and it fixed any issues.

I also have a friend who has an 96 Corvette GS that has the most perfect paint I have ever seen. He took FMP to his car with no fears.

My only suggestion since your paint is near swirl free is to only use FMP. If you use SHR you will put micro swirls in the paint. Then you will have to go over it with FMP to get them out.

If you still have fears, just do a little test area. You won't be disappointed.

Good advice and many thanks once again. I already have everything from Adam's to do a complete detail by hand which is what I plan on doing first. I do not mind the time it takes as I really enjoy working on my car. If I do not see the show car results I'm looking forward to, I'll go the PC route.

I understand the PC is easier to use than the Flex. Cars that I have seen with bad hazing and swirls were from body shops using rubbing compound and high speed rotary machines. To be fair, I've not seen a car in person done with a PC and Adam's fine products. Hopefully this spring I can get to one of the detail "clinics" in PA. Or, Junkman can come over to my crib and do a "rookie video" with me and my car, complete with barking out orders, pushups, the whole nine yards.:pc:

... Or, Junkman can come over to my crib and do a "rookie video" with me and my car, complete with barking out orders, pushups, the whole nine yards.:pc:

Or, you can join me at Thompson Racing for the detail clinic I'm doing in PA on April 16th! Just a mere 10 hour drive from where you are. :2thumbs:

Like others have mentioned... the 'buffer' introduced damage you're thinking of is holograms and its virtually impossible to create those with any kind of DA polisher... its a symptom of improper rotary use.

Many people have been intimidated by the process before you, but thankfully this forum and our team is here to guide you thru the learning phase and soon you'll be one of the many forum members coaching other new comers thru it. :D

I had never ever used any kind of machine polishing on my black finish before Adam's. This stuff Does Work the way that they say it will. The PC is very safe, even in the hands of a total beginner (like me). And the results are amazing - you will love it.

Let me put it this way, you can have Wow by hand, or with the PC you can have DAYUM! It IS that much better.

Start with the white pad and the fine machine polish (it is very gentle) and try a 2x2' spot on your freshly washed and clayed finish. Watch the videos and do it just like they do, up and down, left to right, up and down, left and right, nice and slow movement across the finish with overlapping passes. You will be very happy when you see the results.

I used a PC on two vehicles (mine and a black TBSS).

I watched all the videos and of course I memorize what everyone says. So all my friend and I agreed to let me be in charge of the PC.

Both vehicles turned out amazing.....just made me want to buy my own PC which I will be doing at the Thompson Clinic! :) :) :)

You cannot go wrong with this investment!!!

We're just a couple of girls...nothin to fuss about.

The only difference is, we can handle power equipment with ease...and appreciate a correctly turned out car/truck. :pc:

Any girls that can handle a PC and appreciates a beautiful detailed car/truck is a diamond in the ruff. Junkman better be good to you or you can join my junkie possee. :rockon: I will be most honored to meet all of you, including the PC / Dagwood Master of Master's, Junkman. Counting the days. I might bring my Detail Dog Connor along for the ride. He can be the mascot for the event. Unlike me, he's good with cars and doesn't jump on them or pee on the tires. :D

Archived