Customer Service 866.965.0400

California Duster?

Greg Raven

Question

I have a friend who swears by his California Duster, and it would be quicker and easier to dry-dust the car instead of having to using the Detail Spray and a cloth each time, but I wonder how hard the California Duster is on the finish and/or paint.

Any thoughts?

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I used the california duster on my charger and I don't think I got surface scratches. Idiot that I am used a brush to wash it so that did the paint nicely. But here's something to ponder, you say that cal dusters just push around dust - but if u detail spray and wipe with the microfiber towel, you're doing the same exact thing - except its moist lol

I used the california duster on my charger and I don't think I got surface scratches. Idiot that I am used a brush to wash it so that did the paint nicely. But here's something to ponder, you say that cal dusters just push around dust - but if u detail spray and wipe with the microfiber towel, you're doing the same exact thing - except its moist lol

I think the micro fiber picks up and traps the dust in its fibers, that's why if you use one side of it to long, it starts getting dark and to damp, and ends up streaking and not picking anything up.

so im going to bump this and ask...whats the best way to get "dust" off the car?....i live on a dirt road so it sucks lol i get alot of dust....so the california dusters are a no to most people so what do i do i dont have an air gun...do i just spray with DS and wipe with a MF??

so im going to bump this and ask...whats the best way to get "dust" off the car?....i live on a dirt road so it sucks lol i get alot of dust....so the california dusters are a no to most people so what do i do i dont have an air gun...do i just spray with DS and wipe with a MF??

If you're going to use that method just make sure to use enough DS to suspend the dirt and wipe carefully and softly and keep using a clean part of the microfiber. This is tough because I know if there is any little particle on the car it is going to scratch it, just no way around it, and it sucks. But I guess thats why they make PC's and Adam's. :lolsmack:

Hey Ty, Brother, I'd use the blaster (exhaust) end of your wet/dry shop vac and blast off the dirt. (Leaf blower maybe then?) We also live on a dirt road, and washing with water is safe, but muddy. Detail Spray and a few towels is also safe, but too much product and effort needed. Cal Dusters scratch like crazy.

Blasting the dust off with compressed air is really the key to living like you and I do my friend!:2thumbs:

Hey Ty, Brother, I'd use the blaster (exhaust) end of your wet/dry shop vac and blast off the dirt. (Leaf blower maybe then?) We also live on a dirt road, and washing with water is safe, but muddy. Detail Spray and a few towels is also safe, but too much product and effort needed. Cal Dusters scratch like crazy.

Blasting the dust off with compressed air is really the key to living like you and I do my friend!:2thumbs:

LOL i can see me going for the leaf blower and my mom thinking im doing yard work lol but then go out side and see me blasting the car with it HAHA:lol:

but thats a good idea....darn dust....mayb i should just get a cover...

If your going to get a cover you better make sure the car is dust free before putting it on. You will end up with a whole bunch oof scratches if your covering and uncovering a dusty car :(:(:(:(

If your going to get a cover you better make sure the car is dust free before putting it on. You will end up with a whole bunch oof scratches if your covering and uncovering a dusty car :(:(:(:(

DARN DUST!!!!! lol :help:

WAIT!.....what if u can get a bunch of those dust cleaner cans....the kind u use on key boards lol ill keep a 6pak in the trunk lol:lolsmack:

Absolutely right! I always go over the car with the detail spray completely, windows too, before I even put my smaller cover on. When it comes time for the winter cover, the whole thing gets waxed, etc. first.

Absolutely right! I always go over the car with the detail spray completely, windows too, before I even put my smaller cover on. When it comes time for the winter cover, the whole thing gets waxed, etc. first.

they should make a cover for cars thats all microfiber on the inside :D

if they do then im a :loser:

Do what I do. I bought two super soft fleece sheets, sewed them together long end to long end, and it covers my car tip to tip. I use it all summer to keep the dust off, and I use it under my winter cover to keep the heavy cover from scratching. :2thumbs:

Do what I do. I bought two super soft fleece sheets, sewed them together long end to long end, and it covers my car tip to tip. I use it all summer to keep the dust off, and I use it under my winter cover to keep the heavy cover from scratching. :2thumbs:

:cheers: ^ now that is one smart dude

That's funny, I have been contemplating buying enough blue MF towels to do that exact thing. My only problem is that it would take too many to cover my truck. I also thought about using the WW as it is larger, but Im not sure it is soft enough...

they should make a cover for cars thats all microfiber on the inside :D

if they do then im a :loser:

I use a California Car Cover ( dust cover ) religiously. I wash it at least once a year, (more if needed), in cold water. The soft side of the dust cover is very soft and I've not experienced any scratching caused by it. But Ya GOTTA wash them !!

In the winter I use the dust cover AND a zip-up cover. ( kind of like a mummy bag for your car ! )

For getting light dust off the car I spray one side of a folded microfiber towel with Adams Detail Spray, and ever-so-lightly go over the car a section at a time lifting the dust off with the detail spray side and quickly wiping down with the dry side.

Down Side : The microfiber towels get dirty FAST and need to be changed to cleaner ones. On a small car like the 37 it may take three towels.

Dennis

The cali car duster is safe to use IMO... I've used it on all my cars for years. The fibers are dipped in parafin wax so they're not going to scratch. What you have to worry about scratching is the dust... it requires you to use good judgement and only use the CA duster to remove very light dust.