Customer Service 866.965.0400

California Duster?

Greg Raven

Question

I have a friend who swears by his California Duster, and it would be quicker and easier to dry-dust the car instead of having to using the Detail Spray and a cloth each time, but I wonder how hard the California Duster is on the finish and/or paint.

Any thoughts?

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Greg! Welcome to the forum! As for the Cali duster..............I avoid them always. I have a black car and you can see every little tiny scratch from stuff that gets picked up in the fibers.

But I also have friends like yours that swear by them. Yeah, it's easier, but how much do you like your paint? :lolsmack:

Hey Greg,

I agree with Rich avoid the duster especially with a black car, use the detail spray and a

microfiber towel. Easier is not always better. Just remember with a duster you're just

taking dust and moving it over the surface of your car.....more scratches.

Rich, I use the Car Duster all the time and have not noticed scratches other than the ones I put on hand polishing when new. Next time we get together for a show or whatever, I would appreciate some constructive criticism.:help:

Rich, I use the Car Duster all the time and have not noticed scratches other than the ones I put on hand polishing when new. Next time we get together for a show or whatever, I would appreciate some constructive criticism.:help:

You put scratches in by hand polishing ? You have any pictures of that ? Should be easy enough to take out.

And I think what you received WAS constructive criticism, many fell that the dusters induce micro marring that over all is hard to see with the naked eye but has a serious dulling affect on the paint :thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with the duster, but dust is all that it is good for. If there is even a little dirt, or grime, or spots, etc., the duster does no good. In the summer, I usually wash every week, detail spray every 2-3 days, and dust in between unless it rains or gets even a little bit dirty. The duster doesn't do anything with that.

You put scratches in by hand polishing ? You have any pictures of that ? Should be easy enough to take out.

And I think what you received WAS constructive criticism, many fell that the dusters induce micro marring that over all is hard to see with the naked eye but has a serious dulling affect on the paint :thumbsup:

Yeah Bill you may well have a point there. Never thought of that. When I speak of scratches when new though I am speaking of rather harsh polishing on my part due to frustration and poor self control.:mad: Rad

Edited by radstoy
add a word

There is a guy here in San Diego that details exotic cars for Concours shows and big $$$$ clients. I've picked his brain a few times and learned quite a bit. He showed me something that blew my mind. He took a digital camera and photographed the hood of a Ferrari that I thought was in pristine condition. He kept blowing up that image and after a few enlargements you could see the swirl marks which I believe he called "spydering". The owner of the Ferrari which was red, used a California Duster.

When I mentioned California Duster he freaked out and said "never use those things".

As he explained it to me using the duster just takes the dirt and spreads it across the car adding fine scratches to your paint. Remember that duster is dry and has no lubricant, kind of like low-end sand blasting. Now this is the part that really got my attention, I watched this guy send over two hours with a Porter Cable buff out 1/4 of the hood on the Ferrari. He then took another photograph and blew it up on his laptop....swirl marks were gone. I saw this myself this wasn't a infomercial on TV.

You may not see the scratches at a glance but if you look closer you'll see them. Get

yourself a magnifying glass and try the same thing, it might scare you.

Now are some of us anal enough about our cars to do that, YES? But for us show car

guys who are always looking for a leg up it's just something to be conscious about.

To sum it all up use Adams Detail Spray and a microfiber cloth.

If the car has been detailed and just sitting in the garage for weeks at a time, is the duster ok to use? One car is orange, the truck is red. This would only be done if it was never moved from the garage. What are your thoughts?

If the car has been detailed and just sitting in the garage for weeks at a time, is the duster ok to use? One car is orange, the truck is red. This would only be done if it was never moved from the garage. What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't. Read the post below by Bangastang :2thumbs:

Dragging dirt over the finish is just that: Dragging dirt over the finish.

Lubricating the finish with Detail Spray before wiping with a towel is a safer program. Blowing the dust and larger dirt particles off with a compressor first is even better!

I believe that if you do the work to get your finish perfect, it's worth keeping perfect. The Duster takes the finish down a notch, and introduces scratches again.

Another tip: use a Super Plush Micro Towel, clean and dry, and swipe a section, turn the towel, swipe another, etc. That's better than using a duster, and easier too.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Adam,

Just been busy with my business, can I mention my website?

What, do you mean, by chance, possibly, might you be referring to:

www.bangastang.com

Where the late-model Mustang folks can find outstanding aftermarket accessories and excellent customer service?

Well, Hendrix, you better keep that on the down-low! :lol:

Hey Adam,

Thanks a million times over, you know what it's like to start your own business. Some people think I'm crazy for starting my business during these times but my passion has always been cars...Detroit Muscle.

So for those Adams Polishes Lovers that drive 2005-2008 Mustang and would like to dress up your Stang and not spend a fortune please visit my

website http://www.bangastang.com

And for a special treat watch my video I promise you'll like it.

Thanks,

Bangastang aka Hendrix hendrix@bangastang.com

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL :cheers:

Years ago someone fanatical (like most of us, or why would we be on a detailing forum) showed me this method, which I have used ever since....

Go to Home Depot and buy an Ostrich Feather Duster. Yes, that's right. The Ostrich Feathers are super soft, and that is how I dust off the car (not dirt, mind you, just atmospheric dust, or after a drive on a nice day). It is very effective and doesn't harm the paint. THEN, use the detail spray.

You may get some strange looks when you're using a feather duster on your car, but it's a VERY effective method.