Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spring Detail Questions

ChuckG

Question

We're getting close to the spring detailing season, and I'm trying to decide what to do with my car's detail.

First about my car. I put about 5k miles on it per year, it is never driven in the rain, and garage kept. Last spring I did a FMP, MSW, and later in the year I applied two coats of Americana.

So I have two questions:

1) Is the MSW still on there?

2) Will a detail of FMP improve the depth of my paint even though I did it last spring?

Maybe I should just start all over with clay, etc. I'm just not crazy about doing it again if it won't improve the look of the paint. Let me also say that last year was the first time I used FMP.

Opinions? What are you guys/girls doing this spring?

24 answers to this question

Osok- I could go crazy on the car and spend two or three days getting it perfect. But why? The micro scratches are just a month away from appearing again.

Detailing a car is not fun to me. I know for some it is. And that's great. Its just not me. So I think going easy on it is best. I didn't clay the car last year because it didn't need it. So this year I'll clay it. Also interested to see how how the BG works under Americana.

I'll get it out in the sun soon and take a look at it. The car is all dusty now. :)

Idea.

With all the information and products available here, I believe it's really easy to maintain a perfect finish, or maintain close to a perfect finish. Spend the three days or whatever time it takes getting your paint perfect. If you are following the videos from washing all the way up, it's gonna be pretty hard for you to introduce anything back onto the paint, if you are paying attention.

This may seem like a ton of work for you I know. It's really getting over the mental hump of it and jumping in that gets you hooked. I used to HATE this stuff. I now live for it.

:rockon:

Mook

PS

If you lived here I would be more than happy to help out a fellow Forum Member get things taken care of.

Don't forget if you only have a spot here or there you can spray down just that area with some water/isopropyl 50/50 mix which will take off the wax on that area. Then you can polish and clean up the scratches on that spot. Then rewax and BG that area only vs having to do the whole car every time. No detail laws that say you have to undo and redo the entire car each time if it doesn't need it.

Good suggestion, I think I'll do that. What I have been doing to the car is working out on it like 45 minutes at a crack. I've found that this is indeed relaxing. And enjoyable. Before, I would start working on the car and just keep going till finished. In my book this is not fun. I'm actually surprised at how much was done plus I do a better job this way.

Still learning this detail biz. :)

Don't forget if you only have a spot here or there you can spray down just that area with some water/isopropyl 50/50 mix which will take off the wax on that area. Then you can polish and clean up the scratches on that spot. Then rewax and BG that area only vs having to do the whole car every time. No detail laws that say you have to undo and redo the entire car each time if it doesn't need it.

Finally got the car washed. Man was the wash water dirty in both buckets. The Americana I put on last September is still on there, and I did the baggier test. I STILL don't need to clay. I don't know what's in this Adam's stuff but it sure does protect and last. I was kinda amazed by it all.

The finish is still in decent shape with only very minor micro scratches. And boy, is this car still shiny. So for right now I think I'll put a coat of BG on it and hold off for a few weeks and see how the finish responds. If need be, I'll start all over if I have to.

I'm really impressed with the Adam's stuff. Thanks all for the replies. :)

Ok cool! I am planning another detail as soon as the Amricana wears off because I think I added some scratched from improper technique. This time I'll use MSW and glaze and wax thanks for your time clearing up my confusion.

Craig, since the MSW is a sealant that needs a bare surface to bond and cure to. The Americana can bond to BG. Or you can put down Americana and top it with BG. Dylan has found that the BG lasts longer under Americana. That is why I said that. I guess you could descibe BG as a very slick filler. I really don't know the true definition of a glaze, but the BG does have fillers in it.

ok, so on my first detail a couple of weeks ago I decided to not use MSW and just go with two coats of americana applied a week apart. so the wax went onto bare paint. doesn't the wax also need a good clean surface to cling to, BG is a filler that is very slick correct? or is it just that the MSW need bare paint to bond to? in the videos Adam said I could choose to use american or MSW after my correction.

I'm a little confused. bg= brilliant glaze. I thought since the BG will only last two weeks tops and a wax/sealant will last much longer wouldn't you want to seal the paint with the Americana or the MSW before you put the Glaze on??? as you can tell I am new to all this stuff

You're half right. MSW is a sealant so that has to go on bare paint. Americana is a wax. So you put on the MSW then top it with BG..... or BG then top it with Americana. The BG will last longer under Americana. On top of MSW, I'd give it 2-3 weeks.

Does that help?

I'm a little confused. bg= brilliant glaze. I thought since the BG will only last two weeks tops and a wax/sealant will last much longer wouldn't you want to seal the paint with the Americana or the MSW before you put the Glaze on??? as you can tell I am new to all this stuff

Matt- You live right up the street from me. Small world huh. Thanks for the offer. :) Let's see what the paint looks like first. If nothing else, I'll get some Challenger buddies and stop by. One of them also uses Adam's.

Chuck, I live in Westlake. If you ever need an extra hand, let me know!

Thanks for the replies guys. I think what I'll do is get the car out and wash it first, then make a decision. It hasn't been washed since November. My hood looks white from all the dust.

And the BG under the Americana, thanks for the opinions. Looking forward to seeing the look.

As for the clay, do the baggy test, but I'm guessing you won't need to clay. It's your choice on the polish, but you may want find the worst section of the car and just work on that. If you see improvement, take on the whole thing, if not just wash it and reapply the MSW and/or Americana.

I agree... Try the baggie test and let that be your guide. If your car is indoors most of the time and always kept clean and dry, you might not need to do more than a good wash, maybe a quick once-over with revive or FMP, and then your choice of wax(es). :thumbsup:

Osok- I could go crazy on the car and spend two or three days getting it perfect. But why? The micro scratches are just a month away from appearing again.

Detailing a car is not fun to me. I know for some it is. And that's great. Its just not me. So I think going easy on it is best. I didn't clay the car last year because it didn't need it. So this year I'll clay it. Also interested to see how how the BG works under Americana.

I'll get it out in the sun soon and take a look at it. The car is all dusty now. :)

Don't ever lose sight that all of this is purely self preference. If your car looks good to you in your eyes go with what you like.

From what you've described if your paint is in fine shape still and you don't put many miles on it your latest approach sounds plenty fine. You might even get away with no FMP if the paint is swirl free. Although the added fmp step my polish it up to a finer shine for you. But again it's personal preference. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

Let me say that my finish is in good shape. Not Junkman quality, but decent. If I was 15 years younger I'd just start over. But it just about killed me last year dragging that PC across my paint. So I've been thinking about it and taking the replies from this thread and trying to come up with something that I can live with.

What do you think of this: Wash with Dawn, clay, FMP on my hood, roof, and trunk. Then a coat of MSW followed by BG and Americana. I believe the BG has some filling properties and I'm hoping it takes care of any micro scratches on the side of the car. Haven't used it yet.

Maybe I should just start all over with clay, etc. I'm just not crazy about doing it again if it won't improve the look of the paint. Let me also say that last year was the first time I used FMP.

Opinions? What are you guys/girls doing this spring?

As for the clay, do the baggy test, but I'm guessing you won't need to clay. It's your choice on the polish, but you may want find the worst section of the car and just work on that. If you see improvement, take on the whole thing, if not just wash it and reapply the MSW and/or Americana.

For my spring detail I start from scratch, not that I have any of those :xfingers:, wash, clay, polish, wax then dress leather-plastics. The glass is last.

It is a good way to get to a position where it is just upkeep during the summer months :thumbsup:

Archived