Customer Service 866.965.0400

So I Wrecked My Vette...

Junkman2008

Question

(The real wreck starts at post #132. This was the wreck BEFORE the wreck)

Well, I guess I more like "curbed" it but it feels like a wreck to me. :(

I was parked next to a really high curb and forgot about that when I went to leave. The damage will require fiberglass work and repainting but until I get some free time, I'll have to make it look presentable. I guess it could be worse, another drunk driver could have hit me.

Here's the damage:

wreck1.jpg

wreck2.jpg

So I broke out the sandpaper and knocked down a lot of clear coat. I needed to make this look as good as possible so that I would keep kicking myself every time I looked at the car. The car is so low that I had to jack it up in order to save my back. :help:

wreck3.jpg

Wet sanding in progress. The damage is pretty deep.

wreck4.jpg

Now I'm buffing out the damage with Severe Swirl Remover. Normally, I would have to use something more abrasive but by using a Makita rotary, SSR is strong enough to remove the aggressive wet sanding that I was doing.

wreck5.jpg

I then followed that up with the Swirl & Haze Remover and Fine Machine Polish on the Flex.

wreck5a.jpg

The final results. The reflections of stuff on the floor makes it look like I haven't done anything! :help:

wreck6.jpg

I was able to get it somewhat presentable but like I said before, this will require a repaint in order to make it perfect again. On a side not, my detail cart arrived and I was able to put it to use while I was working.

detail_cart.jpg

Oh well, gotta go make some money for this repair. thud.gif

Jump to this page for the updated pictures of the 2nd wreck. :help:

• Answers 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your skills keep amazing us AJ! I don't think I would dive into that even if it was my 32. Luckily you don't have any frame or major suspension damage that would lead to other things. Are you going to paint it too?

Your skills keep amazing us AJ! I don't think I would dive into that even if it was my 32. Luckily you don't have any frame or major suspension damage that would lead to other things. Are you going to paint it too?

Yep, I'll be doing the whole kit and caboodle.

Your suspension is filthy :D:D:D

Well when you drive for 5 hours in a torrid downpour, you might splash a little water and mud everywhere! It was clean when it was wrecked! :willy:

Well when you drive for 5 hours in a torrid downpour, you might splash a little water and mud everywhere! It was clean when it was wrecked! :willy:

I'm just surprised you didn't clean that prior to taking pictures, you do have a reputation to uphold :lol::lol::lol:

I'm just surprised you didn't clean that prior to taking pictures, you do have a reputation to uphold :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

I haven't driven the car or even cleaned it since the wreck. It has sat in the garage while I have been online ordering everything.I didn't even want to look at it. Hell, it has swirls in the paint right now! :willy:

:lol:

I haven't driven the car or even cleaned it since the wreck. It has sat in the garage while I have been online ordering everything.I didn't even want to look at it. Hell, it has swirls in the paint right now! :willy:

I never said it was a GOOD reputation :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Alrighty then, here are some more updates.

I finally got into the hood and found out that the fiberglass wasn't cracked, thank God. It was just the paint that was damaged so I got that knocked out. I also got my alignment all together so all of my seams look great.

wreck17.jpg

wreck18.jpg

wreck19.jpg

Finally got the inner fender in place and glued to the frame. That is an adventure unto itself. I don't wish that on nobody. :willy:

wreck20.jpg

wreck21.jpg

wreck22.jpg

It appears that my skids were slightly bent and I darn near crapped on myself trying to pull them straight. I finally unfangled my horns too. I am going to replace my turn signal sockets while the bumper is off and redo my fog light wiring. I'm also going to replace my high beam 4300 HID's with 5000's. I'll probably do away with that 197 bulb. I don't like how it matches with all my HID stuff. The 197 bulb is the one that is illuminating the inside of my high beams in this picture.

angel_eyes.jpg

Tomorrow, I go get my paint. I should have it primmered and ready to paint by this weekend but I have to do a detail clinic in Texas so I'll wait until next week. I'm going to have to do a lot of clean up after all this is done. My hands will probably be worn out after all the buffing I'll have to do too. I want to make sure that every drop of orange peel is out of the paint so there will be a lot of wet sanding and clear shooting in order to match the undamaged paint on the car.

I am going to paint the entire dog house and blend into both doors. I am not going to chance having any unmatched paint lines. ;)

Archived