Customer Service 866.965.0400

So I Wrecked My Vette...

Junkman2008

Question

(The real wreck starts at post #132. This was the wreck BEFORE the wreck)

Well, I guess I more like "curbed" it but it feels like a wreck to me. :(

I was parked next to a really high curb and forgot about that when I went to leave. The damage will require fiberglass work and repainting but until I get some free time, I'll have to make it look presentable. I guess it could be worse, another drunk driver could have hit me.

Here's the damage:

wreck1.jpg

wreck2.jpg

So I broke out the sandpaper and knocked down a lot of clear coat. I needed to make this look as good as possible so that I would keep kicking myself every time I looked at the car. The car is so low that I had to jack it up in order to save my back. :help:

wreck3.jpg

Wet sanding in progress. The damage is pretty deep.

wreck4.jpg

Now I'm buffing out the damage with Severe Swirl Remover. Normally, I would have to use something more abrasive but by using a Makita rotary, SSR is strong enough to remove the aggressive wet sanding that I was doing.

wreck5.jpg

I then followed that up with the Swirl & Haze Remover and Fine Machine Polish on the Flex.

wreck5a.jpg

The final results. The reflections of stuff on the floor makes it look like I haven't done anything! :help:

wreck6.jpg

I was able to get it somewhat presentable but like I said before, this will require a repaint in order to make it perfect again. On a side not, my detail cart arrived and I was able to put it to use while I was working.

detail_cart.jpg

Oh well, gotta go make some money for this repair. thud.gif

Jump to this page for the updated pictures of the 2nd wreck. :help:

• Answers 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I'm glad to finally find this forum. I've been watching you on YouTube, by the way you have made me spend a lot of money and become obsessed with my 09 black challenger RT's shine.LOL I'm officially a shine junkie. Sorry about your vett but it looks like you got most of it out. Thank you for taking the time to post your videos and most of all thank you for your service.

Steve, make sure you contact Steve@Adam'sPolishes for great deals! He's spreading Adam's love all over Georgia!

Man I'm glad to finally find this forum. I've been watching you on YouTube, by the way you have made me spend a lot of money and become obsessed with my 09 black challenger RT's shine.LOL I'm officially a shine junkie. Sorry about your vett but it looks like you got most of it out. Thank you for taking the time to post your videos and most of all thank you for your service.

Kind words. I think Adam's is very lucky to have AJ. Somehow I think they'd lose some business if the Junkman decided to leave (not that he ever would). I know guys that go to Carlisle events just to see him and Adam do their thing.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

WOW Junkman! I 'm glad the Vette isn't as bad as I was thinking when I first read the thread title.

What up Nick? Now I understand where you get the shine from on you G8 (I'm on GPONA too).

Funny how someone from GPONA tells me that he learned all his great detailing techniques from Junkman and sends me to YouTube. Then I talk to Junkman several times on YouTube and he sends me to Adams. Once I'm here at Adams I see another member from GPONA here too. Looks like I'm certainly in the right spot.

WOW Junkman! I 'm glad the Vette isn't as bad as I was thinking when I first read the thread title.

Well, I don't know if you have seen the updated pictures...

wreck.jpg

tire_wreck1.jpg

I went all NASCAR and taped it up so that I could drive in home.

tire_wreck3.jpg

tire_wreck4.jpg

tire_wreck5.jpg

tire_wreck6.jpg

tire_wreck7.jpg

This is why I couldn't pursue the guilty party.

tire_wreck8.jpg

I have already started ordering the parts I need thus far. A new Tiger Shark fascia from Starcraft, a new fender and a new wheel housing. That was over $2000 for those three parts alone.

We're just getting started. :willy:

tire_wreck9.jpg

tire_wreck10.jpg

tire_wreck11.jpg

I'm doing the repair myself.

What up Nick? Now I understand where you get the shine from on you G8 (I'm on GPONA too).

Funny how someone from GPONA tells me that he learned all his great detailing techniques from Junkman and sends me to YouTube. Then I talk to Junkman several times on YouTube and he sends me to Adams. Once I'm here at Adams I see another member from GPONA here too. Looks like I'm certainly in the right spot.

hey whats going on? WELCOME bro

Okay, here are some updates!

Since the inner fender housing was damaged beyond repair, it had to come off the car. This was not a fun time as the inner fender is glued to the frame. :willy:

wreck7.jpg

wreck8.jpg

You can see how it is glued in this picture.

wreck9.jpg

The horns were all finagled and bent every which way. I straightened one out. Check out what is left of my fog light. :willy:

wreck10.jpg

Test fitting the new inner fender.

wreck11.jpg

Prepping the new bumper.

wreck13.jpg

Test fitting the fender and bumper:

wreck14.jpg

wreck15.jpg

What's left of my fog light... :willy:

wreck16.jpg

... and the repair continues.

Archived