Customer Service 866.965.0400

So I Wrecked My Vette...

Junkman2008

Question

(The real wreck starts at post #132. This was the wreck BEFORE the wreck)

Well, I guess I more like "curbed" it but it feels like a wreck to me. :(

I was parked next to a really high curb and forgot about that when I went to leave. The damage will require fiberglass work and repainting but until I get some free time, I'll have to make it look presentable. I guess it could be worse, another drunk driver could have hit me.

Here's the damage:

wreck1.jpg

wreck2.jpg

So I broke out the sandpaper and knocked down a lot of clear coat. I needed to make this look as good as possible so that I would keep kicking myself every time I looked at the car. The car is so low that I had to jack it up in order to save my back. :help:

wreck3.jpg

Wet sanding in progress. The damage is pretty deep.

wreck4.jpg

Now I'm buffing out the damage with Severe Swirl Remover. Normally, I would have to use something more abrasive but by using a Makita rotary, SSR is strong enough to remove the aggressive wet sanding that I was doing.

wreck5.jpg

I then followed that up with the Swirl & Haze Remover and Fine Machine Polish on the Flex.

wreck5a.jpg

The final results. The reflections of stuff on the floor makes it look like I haven't done anything! :help:

wreck6.jpg

I was able to get it somewhat presentable but like I said before, this will require a repaint in order to make it perfect again. On a side not, my detail cart arrived and I was able to put it to use while I was working.

detail_cart.jpg

Oh well, gotta go make some money for this repair. thud.gif

Jump to this page for the updated pictures of the 2nd wreck. :help:

• Answers 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is being done?

Well I don't see a transmission for starters... :willy:

Now that I look closer, there's no engine either! :help:

The old girl looks beautiful, AJ. I know that it was a LOT of hard, time-consuming, labor-intensive work--but in the end very satisfying, am I right?

Hope to see you again soon!

You are correct. At least it was done to my satisfaction and I know it was done right.

I only had 1 nut left over after taking all that stuff apart. :D

GEZUS Terri, what you gone and done now??? :lolsmack:

cam, ported heads, lifters, pushrods, torque converter...

5613867422_91583ee7a3_b.jpg

5595911443_0e5bc482cd_b.jpg

then there is this. They took the rear end out to do cradle and differential bushings. They put in coilovers while they were upgrading the suspension.

5532385021_ec29805bc3_b.jpg

I was a little nervous when it was completely gutted, but it's all back together and running great now. Now I need to get out my PC and fix the paint. They were very careful, but I can see that I need to give the paint a little TLC after it's time away from home.

I'm really glad to see you have your car back together, AJ. When I started reading this thread, I was saying, "oh that's not too bad" (that was page 1), then I got to the semi tire hitting you. Ouch! I was very relieved to see you were ok and your car is looking amazing again!

Thanks Terri, but good Lord, I thought you were a school teacher! You know, bun hair style with a needle pin! You're more like Cat Woman! :lol:

Why thank you very much.

I disguise myself as a college professor only to pay for my addiction to the car. :)

Wow! 27 pages later...you are the man at body work I must say, That wiring mess though would have been fun to me, Aviation Electrician by trade, I have so much extra things wired into my truck that the dealership is afraid to touch things. Good job and extremely impressive outcome!

Thanks Dave. My electronics background made the wiring bearable but I always have to stop and think when doing it. I actually talk myself through wiring diagrams. At the same time, it pretty much always works when I get through. Someone like yourself would probably fall asleep working with me because I go so slow!

Wow! 27 pages later...you are the man at body work I must say, That wiring mess though would have been fun to me, Aviation Electrician by trade, I have so much extra things wired into my truck that the dealership is afraid to touch things. Good job and extremely impressive outcome!

that sounds like alot of fun if i was in the states i would offer a hand, good luck with it and i agree being able to do this yourself helps out alot

We would eat a lot of pizza. :drool:

Awesome Junkman, your the reason I took a look at adams polishes "your videos". Hope to have my car looking like yours in the fallowing weeks. However it is ten times harder when it is a daily driver kept out doors.

:iagree:

"It’s therapy", remember? :pc:

Yes it is. Although I have had the good fortune of a lot of freakin' therapy here lately with all the mechanical work that I have had to do on the car. But man, I really have some COOOOOLD AC now. :thumbsup:

Archived