Customer Service 866.965.0400

My rotary

RedexInLA

Question

I used it on my tailgate yesterday because it was such in bad shape, I had to wetsand and SHR with my rotary followed by my PC.

The two go hand in hand.

I've used a rotary for a long time but using it much less since buying my PC but it sure does come in handy after sanding.

How many here use a rotary along with their PC?

I've used wool with my rotary for 30 years, time to go to foam pads?

25 answers to this question

The rotary with it's non-DA motion will add holograms to the paint. You'll actually be creating more work since you'll now have to remove these with a DA orbital: PC or Flex.

Did someone say rotary on a black car?

I just delivered this last weekend after about a week long adventure. Car was in very poor condition and yet still looked OK. New owner wanted it to look its best. Rear trunk and flat tops of rear qtrs were the worst, but all along he doors, the sides, roof and hood were pretty bad too. I tried quite a few different combinations of things and then...........Makita FTW!

Here are just a few samples.

- Darryl

That doesn't matter. It's the circular motion of the rotary's backing plate that causes the holograms not the product.

thats not true at all. You can finish down perfect with a rotary.

I am not a rotary user, but I follow many professional detailers online who use them.

It has nothing to do with the backing plate. If you hold the pad flat and use a finishing polish, you can finish down brilliantly and in the correct hands and on a black car a professional can get even better results than a DA.

at the same time, with new polish and pad technology most pro's are switching to DA full time.

Its a great time to be a detailing enthusiast. We can now do all of our own work with great results with no machine experience. With DA's you can have the hang of it, and get great results after one or two panels.:cheers:

The rotary with it's non-DA motion will add holograms to the paint. You'll actually be creating more work since you'll now have to remove these with a DA orbital: PC or Flex.

It's not the fault of the rotary that causes holograms, it's the fault of the operator.

I've been using a rotary for 30 years, once you get the hang of it your finish is flawless.

I wouldn't recommend the rotary to anyone who hasn't used it before.

It's not just about product but mosty about the correct way to use them.

The key is the right angle and using very little to no pressure, the pad and heat does the work for you.

People want to put a lot of pressure when using it thinking it works better that way but that's the first mistake they make along with keeping it in one spot too long.

I still love my new PC, it has it's place in correcting paint defects, it's just the rotary takes out what the PC can't.

It can take a very long time to master it.

The rotary get's a bad rap due to being in the hnads of a novice.

I've seen people use it many times and still burn the paint and their job looks worst than before they used it.

Now that I have my PC I'll only use my rotary when needed, not a machine you want to use all the time on the same car.

It's not the backing plate that causes problems, it's the person who uses the machine who has no clue on how to use it.

One more thing, it's not just about speed as to why I use it, the results can be amazing.

I know Adam's is primarily built around the enthusiast... and I fully understand the danger of both removing too much clear and burning through it, given too little clear, or improper technique, but will Adam's ever consider moving into the rotary space?

As an enthusiast, and busy professional, I find my time is precious, so being able to work with the pros of a rotary (while understanding the cons) has prompted my purchase of the Makita 9227c. I will be gaining experience on a variety of pads, polishes and compounds. I fully intend to use my Adam's equipment for maintenance, once the defects are removed (this is especially true of defects the Flex/PC and combo of Adam's products can't get out or at least in a timely fashion).

I also will follow the sage advice of starting with the least aggressive solution and moving up the aggressive scale as needed...

Sound reasonable?

Warm regards,

Mike

I did my whole Enclave that was anything but correct in less than 10 hours using a Flex.

It takes great skill and many hours to be able to correct paint with a rotary. Some here are able to do it. Taig is one of them I believe.

Chris

True, but the main cause of holograms with a rotary is most often uneven pressure/improper use. Polishing at an angle will certainly get you into trouble very quickly.

Here's one of my favorite photos I took at a car show. I entitled it "How not to use a rotary buffer".

- Darryl

Food for thought, it appears some compounds can break down in such a way as to act almost as a polish (with proper technique, even given wool pads and a heavier cut).

And this results in rare swirls or and sign of the rotary (holograms, etc).

I think it is safe to say, throughout, that great care, and time with the machine are necessary to get the desired results, so be prepared to but the time in before working on anything you value or for a customer.

I hope to get proficient and then post some examples...

I've been thinking of buying a rotary. I have the flex and pc already but for those days where I don't have much time I'd like to use a rotary.

Not only is it fast but the results are great.

Reason I bought the PC was because we bought a black car and will need the PC to maintain the paint.

I love both of them.

Getting ready to do a full correction on my RAV, will be using both machines.

SHR - Rotary

FMP - PC

IMO, overall the rotary is the best choice for corrections but the PC is best for maintaining.

With that said, the less you have to use the rotary the better off you all.

(Less cut with the PC)

I can't remember the last time I used my rotary, the Flex and PC are my go to machines!

I thought of the Flex but asked myself why buy it when the rotary does the same job or better.

Would love to try the Flex just to see how it performs.

For those that use rotary, what pads (if not adams)? And same thing for polish... I plan to use my 9227c only when I have truly thrashed paint and either wetsand or need a more aggressive cut...

Already have three cars lined up for a combo of polish and wet sanding (already tried focus and 3000 grit on one)

This may sound strange but I have no idea what brand the pads I was using. I was working at a Chevy dealership until a few months ago and would go to the detailers and take a couple of blue pads from a box full. Then use marine compound (watered down by 50%) and simonize wax on the boat.

Usuall the only time the rotary got near the car was when trying to buff out a bad scratch and again would use the detailers products. The price was right and it got the job done.

For those that use rotary, what pads (if not adams)? And same thing for polish... I plan to use my 9227c only when I have truly thrashed paint and either wetsand or need a more aggressive cut...

Already have three cars lined up for a combo of polish and wet sanding (already tried focus and 3000 grit on one)

I used it on my tailgate yesterday because it was such in bad shape, I had to wetsand and SHR with my rotary followed by my PC.

The two go hand in hand.

I've used a rotary for a long time but using it much less since buying my PC but it sure does come in handy after sanding.

How many here use a rotary along with their PC?

I've used wool with my rotary for 30 years, time to go to foam pads?

I have not used my rotary for over a year. I was using foam pads with it for a while. Everytime I think of using it now I decide to see if I can do the job with the PC. Since its always for myself the time is not an issue.

I was using the rotary on a boat as well as bikes and cars, but at this time I use the PC on all of them.

I still use my rotary from time to time, but would like to try the Flex as it's perminante replacement. I moved away from wool bonnet use on the rotary years ago. I placed Velcro on the plate and the pads stick fine to it. Used the stuff they sell at Staples office supply store.

I bought the Flex to help fill in the areas that I'd more commonly use a rotary. It doesn't completely replace it however. I'd use foam pads on it.

Sent from my iPhone4 using special algorithms and data nodes!

Archived