Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tar on the car? How to remove.

Mysticine

Question

Not sure what it is, as the car is six years old with just under 60k miles put on my somebody else. Although I've fixed most of the issues since it was issued to me, there is this "residue" on the passenger side of the car that I can't seem to get off.

I've soaked it with APC and even used a stiff bristle brush but have a feeling it will need something with more kick... Whatever it is, it's extremely hard and very much stuck to the car. Maybe the previous driver took it through an area that was being paved or something...

Can anybody help me get this off of my car?

Pics:

cvhelp.jpg

cvhelp2.jpg

Well here's the after photo. As you can see it's not perfect, but... it didn't have to be. Along the lines of what jdenotter said, you should see how trashed the majority of our cars are (and they aren't paying me to wash it).

cvhelp3.jpg

Thanks again for the awesome tips gents...

I let the vegetable oil soak roughly 10 hours and that definitely helped. There were still a few stubborn areas... My next step was to try WD40. (I tried vegetable oil and WD40 because I had both readily available.) I sprayed the WD40 and let it soak for a minute or so and then used a tool that I had originally bought to scrape off wallpaper. It was as if it was reactivated and came right off in a sludgy mess. There was a slight film remaining that was quickly disposed of with APC and an old rag.

I'll take pictures tomorrow when I do a complete wash after shift.

I also want to say thanks - you guys rock. :2thumbs:

Brake cleaner is paint safe?

Thats what I was thinking! Spray some WD-40 on the plastic undercarriage to prevent the tar and other stuff from sticking to it- just a little trick I've heard about.

Funny thing happened... Even though I've had this car for less than 3 months, I just had the car traded out for a 2008. (I was in line to get a car with a cage.) Oh well, at least the next person will get a super clean car... Now to give the new one the Adam's treatment... :pc:

Anything special to use to remove bad tar spots? Did a car today, and on the lower front of the sider rockers behind the front tires , the door had good amounts of tar spray specks/whips. I tried claying, got most of it scrubbing pretty hard but theres a few spots left plus on the lowest plastic trim piece i couldnt get any off.

Thanks!

3M adhesive remover on an Adams MF applicator... I wipe down the whole vehicle before claying in the spring with this stuff. I actually took an MF applicator and wrote 3M on it with a sharpie so I can use it for this and only this.

The 3M takes it off almost immediately. Everything else takes a while. I want quick and safe. The 3M is auto body safe!

Chris

3M adhesive remover on an Adams MF applicator... I wipe down the whole vehicle before claying in the spring with this stuff. I actually took an MF applicator and wrote 3M on it with a sharpie so I can use it for this and only this.

The 3M takes it off almost immediately. Everything else takes a while. I want quick and safe. The 3M is auto body safe!

Chris

That's looks like road tar, possibly from fresh asphalt. I would think APC and clay is the ticket. Maybe try 3M adhesive remover. Since it's been on there for a while, it will take a bit muscle to get it off.

You will need a strong arm or two to get all of that completely off depending on how well it is on there. Claying will get it off but I would go the other pieces first such as APC and maybe some of the other things mentioned above, clay last since it will be the best to pick up the small pieces you may not even see :2thumbs:

Start with a few basic things.....Safest: Power washer, at the coin wash. Get up on the tar, with the wand, about 4" away.

Solved? Good! No? Try the Next safest: Try to put a towel under the car, and brush on, with a paint brush, vegetable oil. Leave on overnight.

Solved? Good! No? Next safest: Brake Parts Cleaner, get some from the Napa Auto Parts store near you. Use at the coin wash, or if you have a power washer, on the asphalt, or area that you don't mind if it gets stained. Spray on, let sit for a minute, then blast off.

Solved? Good! No? Report back!

:thumbsup:

Archived