Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Guy on The Block

jt0thevizzle

Question

Hello all, this is my first post here on Adam's forum and I know it should probably be in the New Member Check-In but I figured I'd just start here and get down to business. Mods, feel free to move my thread though.

I notice that majority of the cars here are American cars so hopefully I won't get flamed too much for driving a Japanese car (2011 wrx in BLACK). It's nice to see a forum where people are genuinely nice and willing to help others. Anyways, I've always been a detailing wannabe. Since I bought my car, I've wash, clayed, polish, wax, 3 times already, all by hand (5 hrs each time). My last detailing session being 3 weeks ago. Only recently did I purchase a PC for myself as a reward doing well in school and acquiring a great internship. So now the real detailing begins :pc:.

Well now onto my process. The PC along with my foam gun, and polishes are scheduled to arrive here tomorrow so I want to know exactly what I'm doing before I start. I've seen almost all the videos, read countless numbers of threads, and researched plentiful, now I just want to run it by with you guys before I start.

1. 2 bucket wash with a foam gun and a nice sponge/mit

2. Dry with huge microfiber towel

3. Claybar with detailer and wipe off with mf towel

4. Swirl and Haze remover with PC and wipe off with mf towel

5. Revive Polish with PC and wipe off with mf towel

6. Buttery Wax with PC and wipe off with mf towel

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

I don't have funds to spend on Adam's DS or WW or MSW as I spent over 250 on some of the items listed above.

I do plan on getting them in the future just not now. I just hope that my current arsenal is good enough to keep the car looking nice for sometime.

I've also read that the best way to remove pollen, dust, etc is to use WW with a mf towel and then use a DS after, or use a California Duster with a DS, is this true? I figured that if I keep doing that, the wax would be removed from the car, which is something I'm trying to prevent.

I've also read that paint correction, if done correctly and maintained properly should only happen 1-2 times a year. If that is the case what is the proper maintenance? Is it wash, clay, polish, dry using the Adam's Video method? This is where I am a bit lost. If I do the baggie test and I feel nothing, I can skip the clay and just do wash/wax? :willy: What does proper maintenance consist of?

Thanks again in advance for any comment/suggestions.

When I first read that I thought "wow, that seems excessive'. But after I thought about it, that sounds correct for Buttery Wax - it looks great, but does not have the longevity of the others.

:bow: Sorry for doubting sir!

No worries, and this all goes back to what AJ said earlier. Not every situation is the same. It will depend on how often he washes, the cars that is :D, and what the weather is like.

What I posted is just an example for someone new to the product line to get them started :thumbsup:

Okay guys let me get this straight if you don't mind.

I'm going to wash, clay, dry then start the paint correction with SHR, FMP, then coat it with MSW. (once a year if need be)

I'm only going to need to use SHR and FMP when I see swirls and depending on the severity I choose the SHR or FMP.

Then on a regular basis (whenever I feel the car has too much dust, pollen, bug guts) as long as there are no scratches on the car, I can wash, clay(if needed), revive, and buttery wax or MSW?

How does that sound? I think i'm just going to suck it up and go buy myself the FMP and MSW if this sounds correct. :) for my car and :( for my bank account.

Btw I feel like a complete idiot for these non-stop question. :(

When you correct a swirled up car for the first time, you are going to use SHR on the entire car. Trust me on that. After that initial correction, you shouldn't need to use SHR again unless you're doing something wrong, or have an accident.

I'm still shaking my head on that SHR once a year thing. I'm thinking that you didn't fully understand my initial post.

AJ, I completely understand. I shouldn't have to do it if I'm doing everything correct, but this is going to be my first time, i'm sure i'm going to make some minor booboo. And yes this is going to be a DD.

btw i went to a local adam's dealer and bought some FMP and MSW as well as a detail spray :( and a wash mit :( :(. hahaha

Keep the Revive and Buttery wax. While you are properly maintaining the paint you will put it to good use. FMP and Revive are completely different products. FMP is an actual abrasive that will eliminate swirls and scratches. Revive is a chemical paint cleaner. Get some MSW when finances permit, keep an eye on the daily specials :2thumbs:

Example:

After every third wash use Revive, it will remove what is left of your last coat of wax and get the surface extremely clean so that the fresh coat of buttery wax adheres to the paint properly :rockon:

Great points Bill!

OK, J.V. asked alot of the same questions I was wondering about. What is the best way to "tag" this thread for future reference? Thanks to all the experts for their contributions.:rockon:

I just don't know wth to do with the revive polish and buttery wax if I do decide to get the FMP and MSW.

Keep the Revive and Buttery wax. While you are properly maintaining the paint you will put it to good use. FMP and Revive are completely different products. FMP is an actual abrasive that will eliminate swirls and scratches. Revive is a chemical paint cleaner. Get some MSW when finances permit, keep an eye on the daily specials :2thumbs:

Example:

After every third wash use Revive, it will remove what is left of your last coat of wax and get the surface extremely clean so that the fresh coat of buttery wax adheres to the paint properly :rockon:

OK, J.V. asked alot of the same questions I was wondering about. What is the best way to "tag" this thread for future reference? Thanks to all the experts for their contributions.:rockon:

You should be subscribed to it by virtue of posting in it so it should be listed in your list of subscribed threads (user control panel).

Or you could just bookmark it with your web browser.

I was re reading the entire thread and this got me thinking.

Example:

If get the msw wouldnt the buttery wax be useless? I can revive every third wash and use msw with a pc after?

I was re reading the entire thread and this got me thinking.

If get the msw wouldnt the buttery wax be useless? I can revive every third wash and use msw with a pc after?

Even if you have the MSW, Buttery wouldn't be useless. I have all three waxes, but generally I use Americana as my primary wax. Where I use the Buttery though is if I just wash the car before I go on a trip, I'll throw a quick coat of buttery on the front, on the mirror covers, and on the panels just behind the wheels. This makes cleaning off any bugs or brake dust extremely easy once I get back and wash again. I suppose I could use Americana for this, but Buttery is so fast and easy to use that it's ideal in this instance. Heck, sometimes I just keep going and do the whole car because Buttery's so quick. MSW is a pain because you have to drag out the PC to apply it, wait 30-45 minutes for it to set up, and then another 12 hours or so once you remove it for it to cure.

You should be subscribed to it by virtue of posting in it so it should be listed in your list of subscribed threads (user control panel).

Or you could just bookmark it with your web browser.

Roger that....thanks AJ!

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

This is how my paint was couple months back. It is not as bad anymore with some hand polishing with megs. The latter picture looks great but under direct sunlight there was still some swirls. Will SHR be an overkill?

Thanks again for the inputs.

This is how my paint was couple months back. It is not as bad anymore with some hand polishing with megs. The latter picture looks great but under direct sunlight there was still some swirls. Will SHR be an overkill?

SHR will NOT be overkill.

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

J.V. paint looks amazing...good job man. Your paint got owned.:rockon::2thumbs:

Hahha Dave, not to fool anyone or anything but that paint is actually far from good. Under direct sunlight or a strong flashlight, you can still see swirls.

I plan on getting my car like AJ's hahaha but I don't have time to use his technique. I only have a day to knock everything out. But i'm going to see what I can do.

:welcomebanner:

Well, you really should use FMP instead of Revive when you are doing a machine polish session. SHR will leave tiny little micromarring (still better then swirls), and because Revive is just a chemical polish, it won't take out the micromarring like FMP will.

You really should have the DS. It is incredibly useful.

The thing with removing "dust and pollen" is that you can really swirl up your paint if it is not done just right. I don't know about the california duster, but if you plan on wiping your car down with DS/WW, you have to be careful. Never do it if you have driven anywhere, even if it was just 3 blocks down to drop something off at a friend's house. Don't do it if there is any kind of real dirt anywhere. It is only for removing light dust and pollen. Also, DS/WW won't remove any wax, so don't worry about that.

You should only do the full polish job a few times a year. That means the full treatment with polishes, claybars, wax, etc. Also, you do not have to clay every time you wax the car. Pretty much just before you polish, or if your car feels particularly rough. You should wash your car when it looks dirty, and wax your car when the water stops beading or when it loses that shine.

:welcomebanner: to AF.

You will receive plenty of excellent advise regardless of your vehicle. I personally love the WRX. That black looks smokin hot too. It will take not only alot of attention to keep it that way but the proper technique.

What I will simply add here is to be sure to use the best quality mf you can. I have tried many different kinds and all bit Adams double or single soft now touch my paint. The others are used everywhere else, interior, wheels, door jambs etc.

Flip the mf towels frequently as the Junkman shows and if you don't have several, wash often. I have a new magnetic red vette and nothing was more frustrating than when I realized I was adding the tiny scrarches after hours of work.

Good luck, ask questions and enjoy.

1. 2 bucket wash with a foam gun and a nice sponge/mit

2. Dry with huge microfiber towel

3. Claybar with detailer and wipe off with mf towel

4. Swirl and Haze remover with PC and wipe off with mf towel

5. Revive Polish with PC and wipe off with mf towel

6. Buttery Wax with PC and wipe off with mf towel

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

This looks fine for these products. Rinse the car (nice choice BTW) first, then foam the car and start the 2 bucket wash.

I've also read that paint correction, if done correctly and maintained properly should only happen 1-2 times a year. If that is the case what is the proper maintenance? Is it wash, clay, polish, dry using the Adam's Video method? This is where I am a bit lost. If I do the baggie test and I feel nothing, I can skip the clay and just do wash/wax? :willy: What does proper maintenance consist of?

Proper maintenance would be washing the car correctly so you don't add swirls. It is not possible to keep a daily driver in perfect condition, but with care, it will only require a light polish (not as aggressive as SHR) a couple of times a year.

Watch the videos that Adam and the Junkman have posted here on the site. Lots of good information and tips.

Welcome to Adam's

I ALWAYS use my California Duster before the DS, very important to remove dust before a wipe down IMO.

When I use my CD I use NO pressure, it does the work for you with ease, almost like a dust magnet without drag.

I also have a black car. (Toyota Rav4 08') and the guys and gals are still nice to me. :banana:

IMG_5312.jpg

Thanks again for the fast responses. I feel a bit stupid now for not doing more research prior to buying my polishes. I just told the representative my end result of no swirls and he suggested this.i still have couple of items in my cabinet such as meguiars swirl x, meguiars ultimate polish, ultimate wax. You think any if these would be beneficial?

Anyone know local places that sell good mf towels? I've heard walmart sells decent ones. I just don't want to wait a week for items to ship to california.

EDIT: I just saw West Coast Corvette is not far from where I live.

So if I were to maintain with polish, what polish would I be using since SHR is a bit strong? Would I ever use my revive polish again?

Archived