Customer Service 866.965.0400

xbox360 or ps3?

Frid

Been saving a bit of money here n korea. just got me a 46in led tv but dont know whether to go with a ps3 or xbox. i know ps3 has free online play but others say xbox is more reliable online and has better features. but still ps3 is free. any advice?

I have both Matt and my experience with the online systems is that you get what you pay for in this case. The $50 or so a year for the Gold Live membership is worth it imho. It also has the bonus of not having been hacked in the last few months. LOL

My PS3 basically gets used for PS3 only games at this point. The XBox Live system is alot more user friendly and intuative.

Guest Jay.B

I have both as well. I've had my PS3 for a few years and my parents just got me the xbox with kinect for Christmas this year. I like them both for what they are actually. They both have certain system only games like Halo for xbox and MLB The Show for PS3 for example. So it really depends on what you want to do with your system. I don't play online often with the PS3 and I've never played online with my xbox yet. I do however like the Blu-ray on the PS3, but, I feel that the xbox loads a bit faster and the Kinect system is pretty cool. My brother has the PS Move as well and he says that he likes it also, but it's a bit more like the Wii.

Both are pretty much the same in my opinion, so I think you would be happy with either system. It just depends on which features you like more.

I have both aswell and online play is 200x better on the Xbox than the PS3. One thing that bugged me about the ps3 as well was charging the controller. They supply this little *** (excuse me) USB cable to charge it. Xbox gives you a nice long charge and play cable so you sit at a good distance and play. Another thing to think about.

I have both as well and I will take my xbox over ps3 anyday. xbox is alot more user friendly and the one thing that bugs the hell out of me about the ps3 is download times. If it says you need an update its nothing like the xbox. an xbox update will take you maybe 10-15 seconds where the ps3 takes for freaking ever at least 20 minutes and you can research this as well its not just my connection. I got my ps3 for christmas a few years ago and I havent touched nearly as much as I should have just because I do not like it. The most play time my ps3 has seen is when I sent off my xbox for RROD fix.

I have both and if you want a system mostly for movies get a PS3, but if you want it mostly for games, get an XBOX. I have been on XBOX Live for about 6 years now and it is lightyears ahead of PSN which I have only connected to a handfull of times in 2 years. Even though PSN is free it isn't worth it.

However, if you find that there are exclusive game titles for the PS3 that you would rather have over the XBOX exclusive title then get the PS3.

Forza 4 coming with Kinect I hear! I have Kinect and just now am able to finally try that baby out! Maybe this weekend I can bring out the Dance Central this weekend! I tried it when I was injured (broken elbow and messy wrist) but the movements hurt too much.

Yes, dancing is fun! Especially when you are alone at home and no one can see how much rhythm Santa didn't bring you!

I was impressed with the NFS Shift series. #2 was pretty good, in fact still have not finished it.

Truth be told, Midnight Club LA was my fav racing game to come out....if someone would just put a TBSS in one!

Mook

One thing that bugged me about the ps3 as well was charging the controller. They supply this little *** (excuse me) USB cable to charge it. Xbox gives you a nice long charge and play cable so you sit at a good distance and play. Another thing to think about.

This is easily remedied with a USB extension cable.

Just echoing what most have already said. Xbox is the easy choice. Their game library and Live service makes it an easy choice. If you want a blu ray..well the PS3 is a solid choice but are you buying a gaming system or a movie player?

Im on the other side.. I prefer my PS3, I have been PS since ONE and am just more comfortable with it. I like the Xbox just fine, but refuse to play to pay, I know its a minuscule amount but I already paid for a system and games, and DLC for the games, and now if you buy a used new game most of them have KEYS you need, that more $.

As far as the PS getting hacked, yea that stunk, but then again so did the RROD on my Xbox 30 days into ownership! SECA did a GREAT job of taking care of us, I got 4 free games (2 accounts), 30 days of their PLUS which is cool, so I'm good with it. I'm also not dumb enough to use the same Email let alone password for online stuff as I do for the rest of my life.

Both are great for what they are, both have great System only titles. I have played them both a fair amount. I like the bluray, and the fact that its an ever updating and evolving bluray means it wont be obsolete anytime soon.

Gears is a GREAT Xbox as is Forza, PS3 has Metal Gear, & Killzone so they both have great games...

Eaist way I can say to decide is to ask yourself a few questions.

#1 Will I be playing online a lot?

#2 If so what system are my friends playing on?

#3 Which system has more titles that I want to play?

Really thats it, my group is all about the PS3 some of us do Xbox but mostly PS3. Hope this helps.

Check out this old thread too, http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9266

I had the following response in it which still sums up my opinion for the most part. One addition that I will add is that the PS3 annoyed me recently when I discovered it has a movie anti-piracy feature that can limit legitimate use. They added Cinavia to it which adds an audio watermark that survives re-encoding the audio. After about 20 minutes it will mute the audio and put up a warning message on screen. Not many movies are using it yet, but I did run into it this week when I ripped my copy of Battle LA. It was really annoying. The Xbox doesn't implement it yet. So it gets a new plus.

Original post:

I own both and probably have a little bit different perspective on them. My main use of them is media and I'm the original author of one of mac streaming servers for them.

My question is what do you want to do with it? If it's for games, are you a big FPS guy? If so, xbox all the way. It's much better than the PS3 for that genre due to the games and xbox live. If you prefer rpg or platformers I like the title on the PS3 better. I'm a fan of games like Ratchet & Clank so I lean a bit more towards the PS3.

Truth be told, a large percentage of the games come out on both platforms, so it doesn't make a huge difference which one you have to get access to them. Sometimes they're not equal though. One platform with have some extra content, better graphics, etc. Since I have both, I usually ask the game stop guys which one to grab when buying a cross platform game.

Now on the media side of things, which is getting to be a bigger and bigger deal for me, I prefer the PS3 now, which is a change of what I would have said a year ago. The PS3's UPnP streaming has improved a bunch in the last handful of updates. I'm not running into the issue that I used to anymore. I still like the xbox's UI a little bit better, but the noise factor pushes the PS3 ahead of it for me.

The PS3 also wins for playing both BluRay and DVDs whereas the xbox only plays DVDs. Purchasing video content from their stores is pretty much a wash. Not much difference in price (although the xbox has the stupid points system) and both suck for being locked down big time with DRM.

The other media factor that I also look at is netflix streaming. Once again, the xbox had the advantage a couple months ago, but not anymore. The xbox has had it build in for awhile now while the PS3 required a netflix streaming dvd to be in the machine to use the service. An update came out about a month ago that added a netflix client to the PS3 without need for the disc anymore. So now the PS3 has the advantage for me due to the biggest problem I have with the xbox which is xbox live.

Xbox live is great is you like to play multiplayer games online, especially FPS games. My problem with it is that microsoft keeps putting more content behind it that doesn't need to be, like the netflix client. In order to use some services like Netflix or espn you have to have an xbox live gold account. I don't feel the need to pay MS $60/year for the privilege of being able to use another service that I have to pay a monthly subscription on, especially when I can do the same thing on the PS3 now for free. Granted, they're nice add ons if you already have a gold account that's being used for multiplayer games, but it feels like MS is sticking it to those of us that don't play the multiplayer games and therefore don't have a need for a gold account.

I've been kicking around buying another console to use mainly for media in another room of my house. I had been leaning towards the xbox, but I'm pretty much set on a PS3 now due to the recent improvements, no xbox live tax, and quieter units.

Yeah, been reading up on reviews bout each. after doung bout 3hrs of research i find the ps3 to have the edge on xbox. everything the xbox has, ps3 has for free plus some like the blu ray. xbox may have a bit better online play but ps3 matches even that. so i can say ps3 will b better for me in the long run, not to mention more of my buddies use it. ive had an xbox before and i also have a ps2. Xbox is already dead but ive had my ps2 since i was a kid. i like sony's long lasting hardware.

Opinion, played both, own PS3. I say find some friends with both a test em out!

Online play = XBOX by far (I can't stand online play, so I don't care)

Move controllers + Gun > Kinect IMO, God of War Series, GT5 + steering wheel game chair = best game ever made, Blu-ray + a Super Computer that hasn't been fully harnessed yet = Winner!

Playing Killzone 3 with the move gun set-up was sick!

No biased here:lolsmack:

Just my option bro, just try them both out.

Archived