Customer Service 866.965.0400

Some questions about product organization

Coderedpl

Question

Sup guys,

So I got a "collection" of stuff now waiting in boxes to be taken out and put away.

I wanted to just ask how you guys keep your stuff organized.

The garage I use also gets used for other things such as automotive work, wood cutting (there is construction in the house), among other things, and the cabinet I have in there isn't exactly completely sealed so the dust gets in at times. I used to detail my car under a canopy outside but I've found out that it's not the best idea so I'll be doing the detailing inside from now on. Before my next detail, I'll be blowing out the dust with a blower and air compressor to get it out.

I rather have the supplies in the garage so I don't have to run back and forth getting supplies that I need, and it will take more time to detail and what-not.

1. How do you guys keep your towels organized? Do you guys put the towels into boxes so they don't get dirty?

2. How do you group the towels? Interior vs exterior? Engine and other "stuff"? By color or basket?

3. Do you just separate towels all over again after they get washed or are they separated all the time? (I mean if you wash them do you just throw them anywhere or they are still used for exterior, interior and other stuff)

4. What about pads? Do you keep them loose or in zip-locked bags?

Any ideas? Suggestions?

12 answers to this question

spray bottle products are kept in empty beer bottle cardboard 6 packs. each 6 pack is .... 1 for polish & MSW , 2nd is detail spray / undercarriage spray and VRT. 3rd is glass cleaner and APC. 4th is car wash and WW,

towels are kept in 4 drawer rubber chest of draws; seperated by job classification / type of towel.

wash mitts - after dry are brushed and stored in Adams wash bucket.

Master Blaster is mounted to the wall.

Foam gun and mics brushes are hung from the wall.

My wife laughs and my friends / neighbors snicker but my rides always look factory fresh.

pads are kept in zip locks in detail bag w/ PC.

pads are kept in zip locks in detail bag w/ PC.

One point to make here... Make sure the pads are COMPLETELY dry before putting in zip locks. Mold will grow and kill the pads if not. I prefer leaving my pads in a drying rack till dry and them move them into a drawer for protection. No baggies at all. I lost 3 pads that way. :willy:

I keep all my products & towels in my garage in my Gladiator cabinets, however if you use your garage for wood working ect. I would not suggest keeping them in there. Maybe you can keep your towels in a storage tote, just make sure that they are good and dry before you seal them up.

I have a plastic bin for the Adam's towels (drying and polishing), and a 3 drawer plastic container for the 'good' MF towels (door jambs, interior, etc), 'work' MF towels, and cotton towels. Pads are kept in a large plastic container (http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5859), and Focus pads in a plastic container (actually a ribbon box) by themselves (http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3762).

I wash the towels all separately too! I know, I am anal.

All towels are kept in two plastic containers. One for dbl soft and single soft, the other container for all other mf towels. Adams towels that are for my paint are also in plastic bags in these containers. Very anal about keeping clean if it goes on the paint.

Pads are kept in garage cabinet in zip bags.

All towels are pretreated with APC if extra dirty and soak before washing. All dbl and single soft are washed seperate from others.

Wash pads are rinsed well and air dried then put in Adams wash bucket.

Product storage

DS, WCW, Glass Cleaner, UC Spray, stay in garage in cart. Gallons of these stay in garage as well.

The rest of the products polishes, waxes and sealants go inside out of the heat.

Brushes hang in garage until dry then get put in cabinet.

Vac n blo on Adams cart.

Master Blaster in cabinet.

I think that is about it.

I keep all my products on a cart. All the polishes, wax, and smaller containers are on the top self of the cart. I keep my gallon products on the lower shelf together with my clear storage bins where I keep my towels organized by cleaning, detail sprays towels and polishing towels. I keep them I clear bins with covers to protect them from dust in the garage. My garage is lean though. I have another bin where I throw all my towels that need to be washed. Ater washing them I re-sort them by use. In your case yo might want to keep all your products in closed bins to keep all the dust away from them. My pads have their own clear storage bins.

I read a post on this subject on another site and Dylan stated not to store the shampoo/detail spray/wax/polish ect. in tempts higher than 85 and lower than 40 so I moved all that stuff into the basement. I still store the brushes/ buckets nozzles/pads/towels in the Garage.

I read a post on this subject on another site and Dylan stated not to store the shampoo/detail spray/wax/polish ect. in tempts higher than 85 and lower than 40 so I moved all that stuff into the basement. I still store the brushes/ buckets nozzles/pads/towels in the Garage.

Yes, I agree. I move all my products to the basement in the Fall.

For applicator and MF storage, I have them seperated in 8 drawers...

1. Applicators

2. Glass Cleaning

3. Paint Only

4. Paint Only

5. Drying

6 Black Utility - Engine, Wheels/Tires, Door Jambs, Misc.

7. Waterless Wash

8. Hand Brushes/Other Brushes Hang to maintin shape

Washing -

Let soak for 24 hours in MF detergent in 2 buckets:

1. Paint/Drying

2. All other's

Then delicate cycle in washer with extra rinse.

Machine dry extra low..1 hour. The double soft hang after that because they are usually still damp because they are so thick.

TowelStorage.jpg

SoakingMFs.jpg

I think i narrowed down to what I'm going to do:

I'm still deciding between getting the Adams bag and keeping my flex in there along with the bottles of compounds (swirl remover etc)

I'll need to visit some local dept stores for some storage containers, depending on if i find some that are separated in some way or not it will go like this:

1. One container dedicated to "wheel" care, brushes, mf towels used for wheels, and other dirtier filthier spots such as engine bay, door jambs and just general microfibers that wont be touching the paint.

2. One to keep all the bottles in one place, organized. This might be tricky as i would want them to be standing up and not flopping around all over the place.

3. One for car wash related towels (drying)

4. One for interior care (glass cleaner, interior applicators, and etc

5. One for pads, both for pc and flex

What i want to do in a way is keep the containers grouped by section of car. Exterior, interior care, specifically detailing (i wont be using the flex and siwl removers to wash my car). It all depends on the containers I find. If i can find something that will allow me to group the bottles together with the towels, I'll do that, if not then ill keep all the bottles separate.

Searching for the right container will take a bit. Afterwards Ill be washing the applicator pads, and towels and then separating them again. I'll be making some notes of what colors and what type of towels i used for what to try and keep them in the same way.

Sup guys.

Sup.... :0]

1. How do you guys keep your towels organized? Do you guys put the towels into boxes so they don't get dirty?

I keep my MF towels in cabinets stored inside plastic see-thru draws.... the type you buy from Target or Wally's World [similar to THIS but the clear version]

2. How do you group the towels? Interior vs exterior? Engine and other "stuff"? By color or basket?

This doesn't really apply to me. I use the same type of [quality] MF towels [big Blues with the black border stiching] on everything. I'm not one that is an advocate of glass towels or exterior towels, or interior towels, etc....

3. Do you just separate towels all over again after they get washed or are they separated all the time? (I mean if you wash them do you just throw them anywhere or they are still used for exterior, interior and other stuff)

I use my towels for one application/detail only [meaning one time, always]. I'm blessed that I've collected about 30 or so of those Big Blues MF towels over time. IMHO, they are the very best..... at least what I've used. After that, I wash them, air dry them and mix them up in storage containers in the garage cabinets.... as I have no idea what towel was used for what once they are washed/dried.

4. What about pads? Do you keep them loose or in zip-locked bags?

Fully air dry them [i use the tissue press-down test] and then ZipLock them individually in bags. They are stored in cabinets in the garage. The garage has central AC [very recently installed] which is not connected to the house's central air system. It has a seperate condesor, air handler, duct work, returns and thermostat. The garage maintains 68-degrees this time of the year and 72-degrees in the winter.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I never apply a MF towels to a dirty surface..... IMHO, if your MF towel is showing obvious signs of dirt, then you're not applying it as a final touch to a cleaned surface. I was taught many years ago that MF towels are a "finisher" as opposed to a "cleaner."

I always use a "delicate/gentle" cycle and "low" spin on the washer setting with added rinse and spin cycles....washed in "cold" water determined by the washer [A.T.C].

I never wash anything else with them.....they are always washed by themselves [usually after about 10-12 hace accumulated.

I also never dry them in heat in the dryer...and never use dryer towels. I'll either hang dry them in the garage or air dry them in the front loader.

I ALWAYS spray them generously with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner prior to washing them.... with a tablesppon of HE detergent added to the washer. I just switched to this method this year - was using just HE liquid previously - and couldn't be happier with the results.

Pads are sprayed with the above mentioned cleaner, rinses thoroughly in luke-warm water, left to air dry, rinsed again this time in cold water and left to air dry one last time before being stored. If pads show any sign of abuse and/or excessive wear, they are tossed immediately.

Hope this helps....

Archived