Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches

GXPaycheck

Question

After washing and claying my new white G8, I found a bunch of scratches, origin unknown on the hood and roof (hood mostly). At least one of them is deep enough to sorta almost catch when I run a fingernail across it. Just tried my new pads, S&H remover, and polishes (and some Maguires Scratch-X with the orange pad) but they are not going away. Tried to get a pic but the camera battery died.

Suggestions?:mad:

Started at 3 on the G110, went up to 4.5 - 5 after a bit. Used about enough product to write a "Z" on the pad.

I would try a smaller section 1x1 and move real slow and add a little pressure. Use about a dime size dot and spread it around first set at 3 then go to 6 and work the polish until it turns to a haze. Hopefully that will do the trick for you :thumbsup:

We have a new product coming very, VERY soon that will be able to fix those scratches. It's essentially a smaller version of our backing plate and polishing pads, which attaches to a drill. You can then go after the scratches, and eliminate them with a 4" pad.

Follow with the Porter Cable D/A and 'walla!" you'll be all good. Stay tuned, coming in just a few weeks.

:thumbsup:

One more thing, how much pressure did you use? You should hear the machine slow down, at setting 6, with the orange pad and Swirl & Haze Remover, applying at least 30+ lbs of weight to the finish.

One more thing, how much pressure did you use? You should hear the machine slow down, at setting 6, with the orange pad and Swirl & Haze Remover, applying at least 30+ lbs of weight to the finish.

Thanks for that info, Adam. I'd always wondered if I was putting the right amount of pressure on the PC. Now I know (I wasn't!) :cheers:

Rich

We have a new product coming very, VERY soon that will be able to fix those scratches. It's essentially a smaller version of our backing plate and polishing pads, which attaches to a drill. You can then go after the scratches, and eliminate them with a 4" pad.

Follow with the Porter Cable D/A and 'walla!" you'll be all good. Stay tuned, coming in just a few weeks.

HA! I knew it was a good idea to pick up that 18v DeWalt @ Home Depot on "black Friday"! :2thumbs:

Keep in mind also that if you can actually feel the scratch with your nail most likely you need to visit a body shop and have get a professional painter's opinion.

My G8 is getting a professionals opinion as I write this. :mad:

I had the windows tinted, and then redone because they did a crap job. I then took it back a third time to have it re-done again. I had the tint shop drop the car off a couple blocks down the road at the dealer to have the first oil change done. I come to pick it up, and there on the back panel, just behind the rear door, 3 scratches that definitely catch a fingernail, each about an inch long. Also, a couple of scratches to the rear wheel. Dealer stepped up and said they would get it fixed, since the tint shop wasn't speaking up.

I specifically called both the dealer and the tint shop to make sure they don't do their "courtesy wash" because I was concerned about scratches. Well, it didn't seem to make a difference.

Just kills me to have to have my new car re-painted.

Don't mean to take over your thread, but I just had to vent a little.

I hate waiting!!! Need a test pilot? :pc:

I had the windows tinted, and then redone because they did a crap job. I then took it back a third time to have it re-done again. I had the tint shop drop the car off a couple blocks down the road at the dealer to have the first oil change done. I come to pick it up, and there on the back panel, just behind the rear door, 3 scratches that definitely catch a fingernail, each about an inch long. Also, a couple of scratches to the rear wheel. Dealer stepped up and said they would get it fixed, since the tint shop wasn't speaking up.

I specifically called both the dealer and the tint shop to make sure they don't do their "courtesy wash" because I was concerned about scratches. Well, it didn't seem to make a difference.

Bummer !!!!

I usually do the same, request that they don't wash. I forgot to do that when I had the spray in bed liner done. Luckily they were gentle and all I got was a few minor scuffs and a few water spots. Thanks to all the product I had on the truck the water spots wiped right off. But I will need to do a little buffing for the scuffs :(

Your right, venting is good :2thumbs:

I completely understand your pain. People don't care, and that drives me nuts. I took my Excursion in to have the front seat covers replaced. (100K miles, they got cracked and ugly.) They had it on a lift, and opened the passenger AND driver's doors into the lift, and I had to have both doors repainted. Now they don't match, and I've got non-consistent orange peel, and even the color is off. If I could do it over again, I'd have lived with the scratches, absolutely!

IMHO: Try like heck not to have the car repainted! If there is even a chance to buff out the scratches, with only a slight visibility of the flaw, that's usually better than a non-original panel re-spray!

OK, Less product, higher speed, more pressure. Got it!:thumbsup:

I will give it another try tomorrow (when it's WARMER!!!)

I completely understand your pain. People don't care, and that drives me nuts. I took my Excursion in to have the front seat covers replaced. (100K miles, they got cracked and ugly.) They had it on a lift, and opened the passenger AND driver's doors into the lift, and I had to have both doors repainted. Now they don't match, and I've got non-consistent orange peel, and even the color is off. If I could do it over again, I'd have lived with the scratches, absolutely!

IMHO: Try like heck not to have the car repainted! If there is even a chance to buff out the scratches, with only a slight visibility of the flaw, that's usually better than a non-original panel re-spray!

Thanks Adam. I just talked with the body shop and he said he thinks he can wet sand it, apply a little base color, clear coat and polish it and make it go away. I told him to try this, and I will come down to take a look prior to re-spraying the car. I would like to avoid that.

:xfingers:

Update! Making progress. Some of the smaller ones are gone. The really bad ones are still there but not so noticeable. The edges have been rounded off a bit. I dug up a small pad I got from a local detail supplier and it helped a bit. Seems to be a tad more aggressive than the orange one.

One question: What does it mean when the pad starts smoking?

I used to have a 1990 Corvette and took it once to the dealer for routine oil change, etc. They had one of those lifts that has 2 ramps that you drive the car up on. I was watching from the Customer area and the guy drove it barely onto the lift, I guess was unsure if he had the wheels centered, so he then cut the wheels, moved forward, and drove it off of the side of the lift. That was not a good day.

Update! Making progress. Some of the smaller ones are gone. The really bad ones are still there but not so noticeable. The edges have been rounded off a bit. I dug up a small pad I got from a local detail supplier and it helped a bit. Seems to be a tad more aggressive than the orange one.

Glad to hear you are making progress :pc:

If your pad is smoking you are in serious danger of damaging your paint, A PC shouldn't be able to generate that much heat even with a smaller pad. Stop immediately if that does happen :willy::willy::willy:

Remember, it's better to do a panel 5 times than try to correct everything in one pass.

Glad to hear you are making progress :pc:

If your pad is smoking you are in serious danger of damaging your paint, A PC shouldn't be able to generate that much heat even with a smaller pad. Stop immediately if that does happen :willy::willy::willy:

Remember, it's better to do a panel 5 times than try to correct everything in one pass.

I had a feeling that wasn't normal :jawdrop:

How can I tell if I did any damage?

Edited by GXPaycheck

The pad is smoking??? Wow, that's a first! I'm thinking the motor on the PC might be smoking, even though that's also unlikely. Feel the pad, and tell me if it's super hot. Do you use a little mist of Detail Spray when polishing??:confused:

The pad is smoking??? Wow, that's a first! I'm thinking the motor on the PC might be smoking, even though that's also unlikely. Feel the pad, and tell me if it's super hot. Do you use a little mist of Detail Spray when polishing??:confused:

Used the detail spray on pad and on paint. It was definitely the pad. It and the paint got a tad hot (not quite super hot). Maybe I was using too much pressure.

Anyway, got most of the big ones out (still a couple left, including the 2 I applied myself:lolsmack:#*%#@*&!!)> My fault, not the DA. Story of my life, one step forward, two steps back!

Her's a couple of the scratches prior to starting

IMG_2001.jpg

Finished with the hood. Car is in garage.

IMG_2027.jpg

Outside with an overcast.

IMG_2009.jpg

Hard to tell it's a white car. Have to wear shades when the suns out:glasses:

Edited by GXPaycheck

Thanks Adam. I just talked with the body shop and he said he thinks he can wet sand it, apply a little base color, clear coat and polish it and make it go away. I told him to try this, and I will come down to take a look prior to re-spraying the car. I would like to avoid that.

:xfingers:

I went to the body shop this morning to review the work they had done, and they did a pretty amazing job. There is just the slightest hint of a line where one of the scratches used to be. You have to be right up on it, and know where to look to see it.

I am happy with the results, but I'm still not happy with the tint shops work on the windows. I will give it a few more weeks for the bubbles to work their way out, but they seem the same as the last go around, so I don't see them disappearing.

Thanks for the advice on trying to avoid the re-spray.

I went to the body shop this morning to review the work they had done, and they did a pretty amazing job. There is just the slightest hint of a line where one of the scratches used to be. You have to be right up on it, and know where to look to see it.

I am happy with the results, but I'm still not happy with the tint shops work on the windows. I will give it a few more weeks for the bubbles to work their way out, but they seem the same as the last go around, so I don't see them disappearing.

Thanks for the advice on trying to avoid the re-spray.

Glad the paint shop did a good job, Jeff. The problem with scratches, repaired or not, is you always know where to look and that's generally the FIRST place you look! Ask me how I know! :D The paint on these G8's is really soft. Just setting a polish bottle on it to get a pic caused a scratch, but it takes 10 times the effort to get it out!