Customer Service 866.965.0400

OK, I'd like to hear your opinions on wax

FP

Question

After claying, swirl removing and polishing; when it comes to what wax to apply, give me your thoughts on protection, longevity , and depth, and your favorite wax from Adam's.

I've used Buttery, BG, Machine Super Wax (which I assume it's the same as Super Sealant), and Americana. What's your take on "plus and minus" with these products, i.e. I love the Americana, but being a wax, does it break down with the heat too quickly, compared to a polymer like MSW? Does it make sense to use BG, and follow with MSW instead of Americana?

:lurk:

15 answers to this question

MSS (formerly MSW) is your best bet for depth of shine and longevity. Americana is second and Buttery third. MSS must always be put on bare paint and never layered over anything. Two coats of American last about as long as one of MSS.

My recommendation is this: 2 coats of MSS, one BG, and then one Americana right after the BG coat. Remember that MSS needs 12 hours to cure before layering with itself or anything else.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I think a coat of MSS (MSW) for a daily driver is required, and the others are optional. I use MSS on my DD that lives outside in a marine environment (here in SoCal very near the beach) and it lasts really long even on my black paint.

The Americana has a different look. I don't know how to describe it, but it looks great as well, but doesn't have as much longevity (single coat) as MSS. But for a showcar look, it is the choice, and it is what I would choose for the ultimate look. Not that MSS is shabby.

And there is also Buttery Wax. Can be applied and removed in direct sun even on black paint, no problems, and shines like crazy. It is what got me started on Adam's.

MSS (formerly MSW) is your best bet for depth of shine and longevity. Americana is second and Buttery third. MSS must always be put on bare paint and never layered over anything. Two coats of American last about as long as one of MSS.

My recommendation is this: 2 coats of MSS, one BG, and then one Americana right after the BG coat. Remember that MSS needs 12 hours to cure before layering with itself or anything else.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

This is good information to have....:thumbsup:

I prefer Americana, I love the way it looks and the ease of use. Even if it doesn't have the longevity of MSS, I have no problem applying it more often because I simply enjoy waxing my truck with Americana, I can do my full size truck in about 15 minutes, application and removal. Also, I dont' know if it just me, but I am addicted to the smell of Americana even though I have no idea what the scent is. It's like an euphoric recall, lol..

Also, when I first heard about Americana I was turned off by the price. But after I purchased it, the product totally justified the price. I have probably applied 15 coats between my truck and other vehicles, and there isn't even a dent in the tub. Now if I would have bought an "x" brand of liquid wax from the local store for 20$, the bottle probably would be gone by now. Americana is totally worth it.

I prefer to lay a coat of MSS (formally MSW). That gives a nice shine and great protection and longevity. Then wait the cure time and put a coat of BG and Americana on. This will give the car the dripping wet look and add another coat of protection. Then I just touch it up every month and a half to two months with BG and Americana or just americana, to keep the protection and looks up. And totally agree on Americana. It may be expensive but it will last a LONG time.

:iagree:

That is the process I do on most of my cars, none of which are daily drivers. As others have stated, I feel that MSS is a must for daily drivers, especially if they are not garaged. It is by far the longest lasting of the products you've inquired about and has a great shine all by itself. A coat of BG followed by Americana is about as good as it's going to get. You've now got the best of both worlds...longest lasting protection and easy touch ups due to the amount of protection.

With regards to "protection", remember that a sealer is the most durable and you're not only looking for protection from the elements, but you're also seeking protection from scratches and swirls, so the more durable, the better. It's always easy to add more shine after washing, but who wants to do a full correction every time?

- Darryl

Thank you all for your comments. It confirms what I thought, but had questions around what sequence these should be applied.

I just finished my Crossfire, Bug, and Mini with MSW after a full prep of clay, swirl removers, and polish. I now feel better about adding a BG and Americana treatment. Man, this stuff keeps me busy....

Thanks again, you guys are a great group of guys/gals.

I have two vehicles that sits outside 24-7 and i use "MSW, but now called MSS". The next day when I do a wipe down of MSS I put a coat of Americana and i'm good for about six months or more. I do a full detail every Spring and Fall other than that a coat of BSG every week after wash.

Love MSS+12hr curing time, with BG and topcoat Americana. That said, I also experimented on Saturday and found I equally love being able to apply Buttery Wax on my WW+DS prepped BLACK truck in the sun, and have it look awesome in no time at all.

Had some people over yesterday and got alot of compliments on how amazing the truck looks now with the Adam's products applied. My friends and family knew I had struggled with the truck's paint since I bought it last year.

I have THREE coats of MSS on my wifes Enclave which sits outside year round!

Should be good for a while! lol

Looking forward to trying the new ***... Wait... It's all stars... Hmm... Aerosol Spray Sealant... It's *** right? lol

Chris

You choice of last step product(s) is more dependent on what you want out of it, heres some notes on each product to help you make a decision. Obviously by layering products over each other you get different aspects from each product so experimenting a little to see what you like best is always a good idea, listed from MOST DURABLE to LEAST DURABLE

Machine Super Sealant -

• Most durable product we offer
  • Synthetic polymer based, highly detergent, heat, and UV resistant
  • Produces a more mirror like/bright shine on paint
  • Requires the most time to apply, but the tradeoff is longevity
  • Average of 3-4 months of durability from one application (depending on storage/care/exposure)

Americana Paste Wax -

• Extremely durable for a natural wax
  • Blend includes the highest grade of #1 brazilian carnuba (highest quality available)
  • Very detergent resistent, provides excellent UV protection, susceptible to heat degradation
  • Produces the deepest/glossiest looking finish of all our products
  • Does require some work to apply effectively, but not difficult to apply/remove.
  • Average of 2-3 months of durability from 1-2 thin applications (depending on storage/care/exposure)

Buttery Wax -

• A blend product, includes natural waxes mixed with polymers
  • Primary characteristic is ease of use in all conditions
  • Quick to apply and remove, even in direct sunlight
  • Produces a moderately glossy finish, good depth, good shine
  • A good balance of ease of use, price, looks, and protection versus similar liquid waxes
  • Average of 1-2 months of durability from 1-2 thin applications (depending on storage/care/exposure)

Brilliant Glaze -

• An enhancement product, not intended to be used alone
  • Adds gloss, depth, and shine with very minimal effort
  • Quick to apply and remove, even in direct sunlight
  • Very low detergent resistance. Also highly susceptible to heat/UV failure
  • Only a week or 2 of durability - not used for protection(depending on storage/care/exposure)

Archived