Customer Service 866.965.0400

Shell V Power, worth it?

MAYBEN

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem I can see with nitrogen in the tires is you have to go somewhere to get them serviced. I prefer doing mine at home with a compressor when the tires are cool. The G8 also has different pressures depending on the weight of the car.

That's a key point. I only check my tires in the AM when they are cool.

Plus I read in a tech bulletin somewhere (from either Chrysler or GM) that to get the full benefits of the nitrogen, it has to be as close to pure as possible. So if you top a tire off from a regular compressor in a pinch, the benefits drop off quickly .

With the gas you may be right, with the tires, you're not seeing the whole picture.

Ambient air has a TON of moisture in it. Especially here in the Midwest right now!:( The ONLY reason to use nitrogen is because it's VERY VERY dry. Moisture expands when heated causing the tires pressures to increase and decrease with temp changes. With nitrogen, you don't have that issue which is supposed to make your tires last longer. I believe the green stems are there to denote the use of pure nitrogen.

Come here, AZ. You don't have to worry about the moisture in the air. The 2% humidity day had recently was the perfect day to fill up. :jester:

they hate me too! my wife has a credit card used only for emergencies since before we were married (i still refuse to get one, and she doesn't know how to cut it up)... anyway she used it to book a hotel in Napa Valley labor day weekend, well of course she changed her mind on where she wanted to stay so she got a refund and booked a different place. first place charged her card for one night as a deposit, i paid the balance off to keep it at $0, then she changes her mind and cancels it and books the other place. well the 2nd place doesn't charge the card until we arrive and the 1st place refunded our deposit. so their we sat with about a $500 credit on our credit card and the bank doesn't know how to transfer the credit to our checking account; i have to wait 14 business days for a check in the mail or spend $500 on the card. and all of our accounts and the credit card are through Chase Bank :mad:

Chase should be able to do a transfer back to your checking. I had this happen to me in May. I was transferring funds between my checking accounts and accidentally transferred to my CC instead of checking. I went to my banker and he called someone on it. Took 2 business days for them to reverse it.

• 10 months later...
I think as long as you use "top Tier" gas you are okay. Most companies are Top Tier while a few are not. I only use Chevron, but that is just personal preference. However, I do recommend against using Citgo....This is from Venezuela who openly professes taking down the USA.

They sell Citgo gas at the Navy gas stations in Pensacola and Whiting Field. I like to use top tier gas for my vehicles. BP, Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc. I prefer non ethanol gas over E10.

I run name brand 93. I stay away form mom and pop stores. Big name brand works for me. Never had an issue.

Biggest thing is NEVER fill up while the station is filling their tanks. All the sediment is stirred up in their main holding tanks and you get to pump that stuff out. Sounds like an awesome idea.... or not.

I work with someone who used to work for BP (her husband still does) and she won't use BP because the gas sucks. They can get a big discount, but go to Shell. According to them, Shell has the best additives bar none.

In terms of fuel selection I don't really have any. I fill up with the yellow hose, and there's only one E85 station within a 15-mile radius of my house.... Of course the price at about $0.80 less than premium gas, makes up for a lot...

009sm-3.jpg

Let me be clear that I don't believe Ethanol is a viable mass fuel alternative to fossil fuels. Corn is food, not fuel. It takes way too much energy to make ethanol and any rumored shortage of fossil fuels is purely theater in order to keep the oil price artificially high. A few years in the enhanced oil recovery business quickly taught me that lesson. But I digress. The only reason I run E85 in my car is raw power. :2thumbs:

WOW, a lot of people use shell it looks like! Well for me personally, I dislike shell! Every Motorcycle I have ever owned, ran terrible on shell, carbureted / non carbureted!

It's funny that there is a conoco next to bandimer speedway here in denver, I don't know if their gas has great additives or not, but I have never had any problems in any of my 40 + cars or 10+ Motorcycles running their gas over the years! I also run whatever is near me when I'm low as well!!

Odd... I have three bikes two carb one FI and never an issue. Shell is top tier fuel. I run it constantly with no issues. I'd be more willing to look at the station(s) you bought it at.

Sent from the past using special algorithms and data nodes!

Stick with your Shell V Power and if you have to fill up somewhere besides Shell just make sure you still use 93 of course. I can't put anything less than 93 in the TBSS.

I would say that I prefer Shell, however I am in the oil industry full time chartering our ships to load/discharge black & clean products, and my 5 vessels work for Shell and I deal with a Shell trader directly all day long. So my vote may not count as much. But like the others said at least 75% of the oil majors products get transfered from one shore tank to the next and all travel thru the same pipelines after line flushes are complete. The additives are what make it their brand.

Like I said back at the top, just keep it with the same octane and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

I work with someone who used to work for BP (her husband still does) and she won't use BP because the gas sucks. They can get a big discount, but go to Shell. According to them, Shell has the best additives bar none.

I have been using BP off and on for over 10 years. I currently use 89 octane ethanol free BP. It's good gas for me.

I have been using BP off and on for over 10 years. I currently use 89 octane ethanol free BP. It's good gas for me.

I use it as well, but believe it or not, it's NOT a Top Tier fuel!

:lurk:

This is better than politics or religion!

IMHO... Shell is the best. Texaco, Mobil and Sunoco are good too.

Locally I stay away from Hess and Valero. They make my Jeep ping.

Nothing but Shell and Sunoco go in my Shelby.

But it does not contain corn. :willy:

The only thing I have that doesn't like the corn is one of my bikes and our watercraft. Both have open fuel systems and the ethanol absorbs moisture too quickly. We fix that with an additive though.

I run 10% in all my other vehicles with no side effect. I live in a corn state. :thumbsup:

The only thing I have that doesn't like the corn is one of my bikes and our watercraft. Both have open fuel systems and the ethanol absorbs moisture too quickly. We fix that with an additive though.

I run 10% in all my other vehicles with no side effect. I live in a corn state. :thumbsup:

I like my corn on a plate. I like gas in the gas tank.

Can anyone give more info on the 'Top Tier' gas? I understand the additives vary from brand to brand, and I'm sure they play a good role in helping the engine stay cleaner, but just how much is the question. But as for the Top Tier; is that a voluntary program that any brand can join by simply adding more additives? Since BP isn't considered Top Tier, does that mean it has no additives at all or just not as many as Shell, 76, etc.?

I've been using Arco (BP) gas in my truck/car for a few years now. I sometimes fill up with Chevron to "supposedly" have that Techron additive go through and clean stuff up a bit or just buy the bottle and add it myself. I haven't ever paid too much attention to any performance/mpg difference between the two but will the next time I fill up. My local Arco gas station is usually 10-15 cents cheaper for 93 than any Shell/76/Chevron.

Not better for me or my gas tanks. I prefer 100% gas.

I get rid of cars too quickly to care. Although our 2008 Enclave has 106,000+ on it and no issues to date.

Chris

The SS has always gotten 93 from Shell since I got it.. one day a buddy put gas in it for me.. it ran like crap so I accused him of putting in low grade.. no he said he didnt.. he used BP.. unreal how bad the idle was.. bottle of Lucas & another tank of Shell and was good to go. I have a customer who has a BP and tells me not to buy his gas!!

They sell Citgo gas at the Navy gas stations in Pensacola and Whiting Field. I like to use top tier gas for my vehicles. BP, Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc. I prefer non ethanol gas over E10.

I find this humorous considering the source of the gas.

It's like the US buying gas from the Russians during the cold war.