Customer Service 866.965.0400

Shell V Power, worth it?

MAYBEN

i'm currently using shell in my cars, because a lot of the stations around here i can save 10 cents at the pump if i use my Kroger Plus Shopping Card (not a credit card, just a card that collects points based on the groceries i buy). $1 spent on groceries at kroger = 1 point, and 100 points = 10 cents off per gallon of fuel at Shell.

yeah I shop and Fred Myers (chain in the Northwest) wich is owned by Kroger and I get the same deal on points and Shell

Yeah, that's what we do. You might as well get rewards for spending the money. I know the credit card compainies hate people like us....because they just end up paying us money and don't get anything out of it:thumbsup:

I try to put gas on one of my rewards credit cards and pay if off. Might as well have the credit companies pay me.

My dad uses his Cabelas Visa for everything (Cell Phone, TV, Power, Water, Gas etc...) and i mean everything then he pays it off. He has racked up so many rewards points its crazy.

As far as shell gass goes, I fill up there just because of the discount i get. I use to only put Chevron in my truck. I will only put top tier gas in my truck and the only stations with top tier gas around me are Chevron/Texaco and Shell.

If you just stick with top tier gas you should be just fine

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I called Chase a few weeks ago to see if I could put my Mortgage on a re-occuring monthly payment and they said sure. BOA gave me the big thumbs down though, they wouldn't let me pay my mortgage with a CC. That sucks. That would have been wicked points every month!

Yeah I called Chase a few weeks ago to see if I could put my Mortgage on a re-occuring monthly payment and they said sure. BOA gave me the big thumbs down though, they wouldn't let me pay my mortgage with a CC. That sucks. That would have been wicked points every month!

How did you talk your mortgage company into accepting that?

For the SRT-4 I only use ExxonMoble 93....for the Durango, I have no clue what wifey uses but I know it's the cheapest gas she can get. Truck is a 2004 with over 163,000 miles so what ever she is doing, she is doing it right. LOL.

yeah i think they made a law where that was illegal to pay a debt with a credit card, or pay one credit card with another credit card.

kinda like the dummies that call dave ramsey who go to one payday lender to pay another payday lender off, and just keep cycling doing that cuz they can't actually afford to pay them off!

IMO advertizing nitrogen in tires and gas is a gimmick. :burnout:

78% of the air on this planet is nitrogen (or so the guy at Big O confessed to me after I asked them to remove it from my tires after they unknowingly to me inflated my new tires with it). I did notice the bright green valve stems they put on tho and asked why.

i go by the motto of not even owning a credit card. these cash back deals suck people in, and if they have one bad month, guess what? interest charges! i prefer to just use a debit card, and charge it as credit at the pump so i don't have to enter a pin. the money comes directly out of my checking account everytime.

as for best fuel to use, i like this technique:

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

you basically switch top tier fuel brands every 5,000 miles. each company has its own detergents to clean the engine, well those detergents do not clean themselves over time. so what you do is change brands and the new detergents will clean the old detergents out because they think the old detergents are "gunk".

i like to take it a step further and use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant every oil change as well.

I have been changing brands on a yearly basis. For the very reason that in stated above, different additives. Always use the 93 octane, as my car manufacturer states in the owners manual " for best performance and miles per gallon use premium fuel 93 octane or above. :2thumbs:

IMO advertizing nitrogen in tires and gas is a gimmick. :burnout:

78% of the air on this planet is nitrogen (or so the guy at Big O confessed to me after I asked them to remove it from my tires after they unknowingly to me inflated my new tires with it). I did notice the bright green valve stems they put on tho and asked why.

With the gas you may be right, with the tires, you're not seeing the whole picture.

Ambient air has a TON of moisture in it. Especially here in the Midwest right now!:( The ONLY reason to use nitrogen is because it's VERY VERY dry. Moisture expands when heated causing the tires pressures to increase and decrease with temp changes. With nitrogen, you don't have that issue which is supposed to make your tires last longer. I believe the green stems are there to denote the use of pure nitrogen.

Yeah, that's what we do. You might as well get rewards for spending the money. I know the credit card company's hate people like us....because they just end up paying us money and don't get anything out of it:thumbsup:

Just remember that the credit card company's do get a fee from the merchant. They also hate me as I pay mine off at the end of each billing cycle. :D

With the gas you may be right, with the tires, you're not seeing the whole picture.

Ambient air has a TON of moisture in it. Especially here in the Midwest right now!:( The ONLY reason to use nitrogen is because it's VERY VERY dry. Moisture expands when heated causing the tires pressures to increase and decrease with temp changes. With nitrogen, you don't have that issue which is supposed to make your tires last longer. I believe the green stems are there to denote the use of pure nitrogen.

Bingo. We have a bunch of SGNC (Self Generating Nitrogen Carts) that we maintain. Ambient air will start out at about 78% nitrogen, and the carts bring it to 95% pure, just filtering, filtering and more filtering of the ambient air. They use it in aircraft tires because of the moisture, at certain altitudes the air would freeze with regular air. Some even need 99.9% pure...and that requires something special to achieve :)

Bingo. We have a bunch of SGNC (Self Generating Nitrogen Carts) that we maintain. Ambient air will start out at about 78% nitrogen, and the carts bring it to 95% pure, just filtering, filtering and more filtering of the ambient air. They use it in aircraft tires because of the moisture, at certain altitudes the air would freeze with regular air. Some even need 99.9% pure...and that requires something special to achieve :)

Nah... We can get it to 4 nines I believe 99.9999% We actually stock different levels of dryness. Bone dry is actually the name of one of them.

Yeah... We have a rare and specialty gas plant. :)

You stole my thunder. My brother-in-law works for FED EX and repairs the planes. He stated that they use Nitrogen in the tires for the reasons you so elaquently(?) stated.

Just remember that the credit card company's do get a fee from the merchant. They also hate me as I pay mine off at the end of each billing cycle. :D

they hate me too! my wife has a credit card used only for emergencies since before we were married (i still refuse to get one, and she doesn't know how to cut it up)... anyway she used it to book a hotel in Napa Valley labor day weekend, well of course she changed her mind on where she wanted to stay so she got a refund and booked a different place. first place charged her card for one night as a deposit, i paid the balance off to keep it at $0, then she changes her mind and cancels it and books the other place. well the 2nd place doesn't charge the card until we arrive and the 1st place refunded our deposit. so their we sat with about a $500 credit on our credit card and the bank doesn't know how to transfer the credit to our checking account; i have to wait 14 business days for a check in the mail or spend $500 on the card. and all of our accounts and the credit card are through Chase Bank :mad:

i have to wait 14 business days for a check in the mail or spend $500 on the card. and all of our accounts and the credit card are through Chase Bank :mad:

I'm thinking someone should buy himself a Flex :pc:

Only problem I can see with nitrogen in the tires is you have to go somewhere to get them serviced. I prefer doing mine at home with a compressor when the tires are cool. The G8 also has different pressures depending on the weight of the car.