Customer Service 866.965.0400

Shell V Power, worth it?

MAYBEN

Well for years, I have been using nothing but Shell VPower 93..

One of the benefits I had was with my Shell MC, I would get 'rebates' for using it.. they have now changed the program and you have to spend X amount and it doesn't seem worth it (for that card at least) so I have been using our Chase CC which gives us a minimum 1% cash back, and this quarter is 5% on gas..

anyways, I have always bought into what VPower is supposed to offer and have in it and so on and so forth..

does anyone have any good input as to if its worth sticking to one brand of gas over another?

the other reason I have been thinking about this, theres not as many Shell stations near me nor along my commute to work, so I usually go out of my way when I need gas..

figured this would be a decent topic for discussion..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, I would do some research on it by just doing some quick google searches. They all use the same refineries, and I think they all promote their additives as something special when they are not. Unless you have a high performance, specialized motor, I personnaly don't think it matters much. How many times have you EVER heard of anyone having engine problems related to the type's of gas used? Never, it's usually people who tune their cars wrong or mainly people get caught up in the marketing, just like most products.

I think as long as you use "top Tier" gas you are okay. Most companies are Top Tier while a few are not. I only use Chevron, but that is just personal preference. However, I do recommend against using Citgo....This is from Venezuela who openly professes taking down the USA.

I think as long as you use "top Tier" gas you are okay. Most companies are Top Tier while a few are not. I only use Chevron, but that is just personal preference. However, I do recommend against using Citgo....This is from Venezuela who openly professes taking down the USA.

Ditto!!! Shell is top tier, BP is NOT! I use 93 in my G8, but only because it was tuned for it. Before that I used 87 or 89. Use what it's tuned for and nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

If you have a good name brand on your commute to and from work use that do not waste time and money going out of your way to purchase Shell. The only big difference is the additives that each company puts into their gas. All the fuel comes thru the same pipeline to the terminals. We have two major pipelines here in the south.

I use Shell but it is because it is the easiest station to get to. (Actually it is only one block from my office and I pass it twice daily).

Ditto!!! Shell is top tier, BP is NOT!

Are you saying this because they ruined the golf coast ecosystem for the next century, or do you have facts as to why Shell is better gas?

Well since I get my gas paid for through work I have no choice but to put Mobil in my Charger. I use the high octane and I have never had a problem with anything.

My husband uses Sunoco 93 in his DD. He use to use 94 but for some reason they don't offer it in our area anymore. He only puts race gas in his Vette.

I really have no clue as to whether or not if one gasoline is better than the other.

I like emoticons to get my point across or the occasional lol

Chris

Like these:

bf-birddancingsmiley.gifsmileycheerleader.gifsmiley-shocked028.gifsmiley-cool14-1.gifthxcoojpz1hckzmqm62w1.giftwzonesmiley.gifslash.gif

smiley_spinning.gif< <<< one of my favorites. :jester:

i go by the motto of not even owning a credit card. these cash back deals suck people in, and if they have one bad month, guess what? interest charges! i prefer to just use a debit card, and charge it as credit at the pump so i don't have to enter a pin. the money comes directly out of my checking account everytime.

as for best fuel to use, i like this technique:

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

you basically switch top tier fuel brands every 5,000 miles. each company has its own detergents to clean the engine, well those detergents do not clean themselves over time. so what you do is change brands and the new detergents will clean the old detergents out because they think the old detergents are "gunk".

i like to take it a step further and use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant every oil change as well.

Maybe I'll stick to Shell for now.. There's not really much top tier around me.. Afaik Chevron doesn't exist by me.. We have a few Delta's in town, a Hess, and a couple others..

As far as the credit cards being used, we pay those balances in full every month no matter what, we only use it for the cash back.. Everyday spending adds up, why not get something back for it, even if it takes time to get something decent, but again, all we are doing is scheduling a payment (in full) each month for that CC.. Same as paying cash..

Well since I get my gas paid for through work I have no choice but to put Mobil in my Charger. I use the high octane and I have never had a problem with anything.

My husband uses Sunoco 93 in his DD. He use to use 94 but for some reason they don't offer it in our area anymore. He only puts race gas in his Vette.

I really have no clue as to whether or not if one gasoline is better than the other.

Like these:

bf-birddancingsmiley.gifsmileycheerleader.gifsmiley-shocked028.gifsmiley-cool14-1.gifthxcoojpz1hckzmqm62w1.giftwzonesmiley.gifslash.gif

smiley_spinning.gif< <<< one of my favorites. :jester:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SHOW OFF!:banana::hi:

Hey Nick,

My opinion I like Shell. When down South, Alabama, I use Chevron or another company that is on the tip of my tongue. When I use another brand of gas, especially in our Saab, it just doesn't have the pep. I do run 93 in the Saab and 87 in the others. My wife's CR-V has 167,000 miles on it and has pretty much run on 87, no knocking or pinging.

Shell states that they use Nitrogen in their gas for cleaning properties. It may work since our vehicles seem to run better on Shell.

nitrogen: Definition from Answers.com

Shell Launches New Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines - United States

EDIT:

Thanks to Chewy's list the other is Phillips 66.

Edited by fdresq4

i'm currently using shell in my cars, because a lot of the stations around here i can save 10 cents at the pump if i use my Kroger Plus Shopping Card (not a credit card, just a card that collects points based on the groceries i buy). $1 spent on groceries at kroger = 1 point, and 100 points = 10 cents off per gallon of fuel at Shell.

i don't know if i can really believe this whole nitrogen enriched mumbo jumbo though. i would have to see an independent lab test done on it to see if it is truely superior. the shell stations around here are notorious for have more expensive prices, between 0 and 10 cents more per gallon. but the shell station i go to is usually only a couple cents more than the base gasoline found at the kroger fuel pumps.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

As far as the credit cards being used, we pay those balances in full every month no matter what, we only use it for the cash back.. Everyday spending adds up, why not get something back for it, even if it takes time to get something decent, but again, all we are doing is scheduling a payment (in full) each month for that CC.. Same as paying cash..

Yeah, that's what we do. You might as well get rewards for spending the money. I know the credit card compainies hate people like us....because they just end up paying us money and don't get anything out of it:thumbsup:

Like someone already said, it all comes from the same place. I wholesale gas and diesel products to gas stations every day. It doesn't matter if it's a Valero, Phillips 66, Cenex, Shell... all of the gas comes from the same refineries and terminals.

The "additivies" business is a crock, IMO.

Ditto!!! Shell is top tier, BP is NOT! I use 93 in my G8, but only because it was tuned for it. Before that I used 87 or 89. Use what it's tuned for and nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I thought BP claims their gasoline would pass the Top Tier standards but since they (BP) view it as mostly a marketing ploy (by GM and other manufactures), they opted to not have it certified or what ever. And doesn't Ford recommend BP? :confused: (at least it sez so in wikipedia :lolsmack:)

Now just to let you all know, I am a GM kinda guy and use Exxon, a top tier brand :thumbsup: but more because it is the easiest station for me to stop at after work. :D

Besides, I'd never put something recommended by Ford in my GMC!!! :jester:

Edited by ktn65
Still learnin' English

I use Shell 93 for ONE reason... It's the only 93 in town. Everyone else is 91 and my car was tuned for 93. I can get away with 91 but the tuner told me it reduced power by 8hp. Is that true? Heck, I don't know.

Chris

Like someone already said, it all comes from the same place. I wholesale gas and diesel products to gas stations every day. It doesn't matter if it's a Valero, Phillips 66, Cenex, Shell... all of the gas comes from the same refineries and terminals.

The "additivies" business is a crock, IMO.

you are correct, everyone buys the same base gasoline, which meets federal standards.

BUT every brand does in fact add their own additives to the base gasoline if they want. this is all done either before, during, or after the transport truck pumps it into the station's storage tanks.

here's a quote from the link i posted earlier:

Some of you probably know this, others may be shocked by it. Oil companies swap base gasoline all the time. Let's say I have a refinery in Houston and you have one in Dallas. It makes little sense for me to truck my Houston gasoline to Dallas and for you to truck your gasoline from Dallas to Houston when gasoline is a commodity product. So, I let you draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from my storage tank in Houston for your Houston gas stations, and you let me draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from your Dallas holding tanks for my Dallas gas stations. That way, we both save on shipping. Yup, Texaco gasoline may have come from a Shell refinery and vice-versa. At a gasoline terminal you may see trucks from up to six different companies all loading at the SAME terminal (that for example may be supplied exclusively by Shell). What comes next, however, is what makes Texaco Texaco and Shell Shell. Additive. Each company has its own additive and adds it to the base gasoline. So while the base gasoline may be the same, the additive is different, and hence the brand of gasoline you use is different because of the additive, not the base gasoline
Edited by 2010TexasEdition