Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leaking spray tops

The bottles should remain standing, if you lay them down just about any spray bottle it will eventually leak.

If you look around in your home you don't have any other spray bottle stored that way, do you ?

I keep some detail spray in my trunk and it is alway upright( in a plastic bag) and it still leaks. I have concluded that as it get hot in the trunk, the pressure inside the bottle rises till it actually pushes detail spray up the tube and out of the nozzle tip. The nozzle tip is where I found my bottle leaking from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep some detail spray in my trunk and it is alway upright( in a plastic bag) and it still leaks. I have concluded that as it get hot in the trunk, the pressure inside the bottle rises till it actually pushes detail spray up the tube and out of the nozzle tip. The nozzle tip is where I found my bottle leaking from.

This might be a stupid question but do you turn the nozzle to "off"? I've seen this happen if it's left on "spray" or "stream" but it shouldn't leak in the off position.

Don't forget the inside of you car gets pretty darn hot and will cause the bottle to expand and deform and could cause the leaking your talking about.

Not quite....

Evaporation of the contents of a closed [sealed] container occur due to a process called "equilibrium."

Not quite....

Evaporation of the contents of a closed [sealed] container occur due to a process called "equilibrium."

Right, but if the pressure inside the container is too great and pushes past the seal in the spray head it will leak.

My 16oz DS sprayer leaks too but only from around the trigger. I never lay the bottle down and I have never kept it in a hot place. It usually only leaks a couple of drops after each use, and then it stops. I'm not bothered by it but I wanted to add my story to the thread.

Ok so today was pretty hot out. 104°. I made sure the nozze was turned to the off position and put the detail spray in a fresh plastic bag and put it in my trunk. Yes, it leaked again. As the bottle sat in the upright position the whole time I can only assume that my original theory still holds true. The pressure inside the bottle got high enough to push product up the spray tube and out the nozzle. So I will not be able to carry back up (for immediate use when i get hit with a bird bomb)products with me in summertime.

Well here is a odd thing I have noticed. The small bottles do not leak and I have the glass cleaner and the WW in my box along with the detail spray. I have had the detail spray out of the car for almost a week and not a drop. So I am not sure about the pressure pushing out from the tips. Just a thought I would share.

I wonder if the smaller bottles, having less air in them, cannot build up enough pressure to break the seal? Perhaps if I fill my detail spray all the way to the top (less air) then it won't be able to break the seal of the nozzle in the off position too! I'll give it a try.

Archived